Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching to Vodafone

• 16-05-2024 4:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭

I’m almost ready it make the switch to Vodafone. Broadband package only no tv or sports add on for €30/ month for first 6 and €40/month there after for a 500mb connection.
    My query/ fear is based on what I have witnessed in other peoples houses who have recently switched. Absolutely shocking routing of cables, location of routers etc……has anyone had any bad experiences of the ‘installation engineers’ choice of cable route etc……currently we have fibre cable on the street and copper/Co-axial from there to an external box on the wall and it then goes up to the attic and down to the existing virgin media ‘box’.
    If and when I switch to Vodafone their installation guy will arrive at house and want to route the new length of fibre cable from the box on the street to the easiest and closed point within the house and based on what I’ve seen them do this could involve all sorts of externally mounted cables and conduits drilling though window frames and walls etc.

Does anyone know if there is any service out there (maybe an electrician) who I could get to do the cabling in advance or even better is it possible to purchase the necessary fibre cable that they use in advance and have it installed before they arrive so all that is necessary is to ‘plug it into’ the new Vodafone box/router/modem..?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I'm also interested in this topic myself as I experienced the "Absolutely shocking routing of cables" as you say.

I moved into a new estate which was wired with Cat 6 and coax cables in the access boxes on the side of the house. I was hoping that the SIRO installers would be able to pull one of the coax cables through and neatly route the fibre inside the house to the utility room, but the Actavo installer refused. Instead, the cable was routed from the meter box, down to the ground, then back up to where they installed the ONT on the kitchen wall and fed it via the internal Cat 6 to the utility room.

I wanted to keep it all in the utility room where I have a UPS installed. I ended up getting around that by replacing the ONT's power supply with a PoE one, but the whole thing just feels janky.

I'm tempted to remove the ONT from the wall and put it inside one of the access boxes on the side of the house where I could plug it into one of the Cat 6 cables going outside and use the PoE to power it. Although I'd be setting myself up for a world of hurt if I ever needed support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

It’s what puts me off switching despite the financial gain/advantage. I also posted this in the electrical forum and got quite a few responses again backing up the concerns/fears I have of letting the installation guy loose and letting them route cables drill holes etc where he/she wants…..were you present the day the installer arrived….when you say he refused to route things as you wanted did he give good reasons or was it all based on him looking for the easiest and quickest way so as to be on to next installation asap….the link below are the responses I got in the electrical forum….

Advertisement