Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Tubridy is like an expensive overrated restaurant that is struggling due to an increasingly poor reputation amongst punters.
    The restaurant owner, let’s call him Noel, is having to pump more and more money every month into the restaurant to keep it afloat but is starting to feel a sense of self doubt about the general appeal and viability of the business.

“Do you feel that Ryan Tubridys popularity is waning?”

NK: “Oh no, not at all. I just think that his appeal has become more selective.”

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭nonetheless

The Q102 online link is down. The Virgin one is up. His link at 12:18 referenced museum raiding in Ukraine from "Indiana Jones with a laptop" to (and this is brilliant!) "Creatures who will take advantage of any situation"🤔

….

• Advertisement

There can be many reasons for this but one of them maybe as a result of using the RCS Zetta system incorrectly. If the green coloured NEXT button is hit too hard, it can play small sections of and skip over items such as jingles, promos etc that have been pre-programmed into the system and in some cases may even land in the middle of a song.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,463 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Heard him at one song interlude today. First time listening for several months. Complaining of British pronunciation of Irish surnames such as Moran and Gallagher. He said about 10 sentences, at least 6 of which he failed to finish the last word. All rushed, hard for an Irish person to understand everything he said.

It's very, very obvious what the issue is. Gerry Ryan didn't get to stay around long enough to teach him everything.

He can sometimes mispronounce, talk incoherently and speak too fast with a strong D4 accent and tends not to finish his thought processes which has the potential to leave the UK listener feeling disassociated.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I have heard a couple of very brief clips since he started with Q102, and I wondered if he was as bad as that when he was in RTE.

Rushed almost gabbling speech with his voice rising and falling.
    Definitely not easy to listen to. I can't imagine what a UK listener would make of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Karppi

He needs a sign in front of him, "Please engage brain before opening mouth"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

There was a good Gift Grub about him, where the producer keeps shouting, finish your sentences!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭GSF

one thought, one link

not something you’d expect to have to tell Ireland’s biggest paid radio broadcaster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

Beluga caviar appears on the menu, but Lumpfish caviar is served on your plate 🤣

He is not on the same page as the folks behind the glass controlling the feed at Virgin Radio. For example they played Marc Cohen's "Walking In Memphis". His link commenced after that at 11:10 approx. This consisted of his views on what coloured love hearts he uses when reacting on social media etc and then of course this link (like most) then shot off up to the incoherent sphere leaving the listener questioning if the presenter is taking some sort of prescription medication. The folks behind the glass seemed to purposely crash this link with Steve Winwood's "Higher Love" in which Tubridy uncomfortably cut his vocal mid sentence or they cut his mic feed.

A perfect display and of which could be used at School Of Broadcasting institutes for generations to come as an example of how not to do a radio show on a music station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭hawley

I hit 51 on Tuesday and found myself reflecting on an erratic year that was strewn with curveballs and kindness. I learnt an awful lot in an awful way.

The Christmas card list was shortened, for sure, but there were countless positives. The London experience has exceeded all my expectations and I’ve made a heap of new friends and colleagues along the way both on Virgin Radio and in Ireland with Q102 and associated stations around the country.

I was particularly pleased to hear that the station has increased its listenership by 26% in the past few months. Here’s to continued climbing and winning!

https://evoke.ie/2024/06/02/entertainment/ryan-tubridy-erratic-year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,463 ✭✭✭KevRossi

He's made a few friends the past year?

Made a lot more enemies I'd bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Why didn't the Daily Mail ask him what the audience numbers were like?

Surely the editor should say if you are going to write about audience number you must provide the audience for your show.

This is the same for many many articles written for the reach platform. Elaine Crowley from TV3/VMTV was always talking about how audience numbers had increase for her show "Elaine" but no one ever asked what the number were, then it was drop out of the blue! I don't think those numbers were great.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

That 26% increase is a year-on-year figure. It does not account for the trend on Virgin Radio UK for the same timeslot for which Tubridy lost 300,000+ listeners, going from 448,000 to less than 138,000 listeners in "the past few months", yet they said Virgin Radio UK was up overall year on year. However, at Q102 we are looking at a more miniscule audience to begin with on what has never performed since the days of Martin Block's failed Lite FM - A Dublin 4 aimed white collar type service that would have suited Tubridy best as a sort of Dun Laoghaire/Monkstown community radio. He believes that he is a major celebrity but if the downward trend in these mammoth losses of listening share continues on its current trajectory, they will be through the floorboards by the next JNLR/RAJAR book in a few months. Again with incoherent speech, rambling off tangent links coupled with poor interviewing techniques for which he is not improving. Maybe he should take time to look for new jobs online rather than inflicting this on readers of MoS?

Has there been another broadcaster who has felt the need to “big themselves up” as much as Tubs? I can’t think of one right now who seems to have such need to talk about themselves so much in a “life keeps getting better for me” sort of way. It’s like a teenage Instagram tack that those still trying to cut a presence in a small circle would take during the process of growing into a fully fledged adult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,466 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

He is just like 99% of people on social media, pretending their life is perfect when it's anything but.

It’s all part of his complex. He is never at fault. He’s the victim but desperate to show off that he’s “taking the high road”. He will often exude a sort of “needless to say I had the last laugh” narc energy.

The reality is that he needs to accept that he had a good run. He made a small fortune in being promoted way above his ability but the gravy train is now over. I don’t think this kind of realisation is likely. Even far more unlikely is the acceptance of his own role in his downfall.

This is exactly what he is doing now.

The narrative is that he was wronged in Ireland, but despite them bad'uns, he is living it up in fashionable London, living his best life and in a huge job.

If I was a betting man I'd say little of this is true. He wishes he was back in 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Kingslayer

So when is he moving into the Linton Travel Tavern?

That's the food budget gone for the rest of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,315 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Lots of people were drawn in to his fakery as well.

What a manchild.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I guess he’s trying to be funny…. But he’s about as funny as cancer.
    cancer of the anus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

So looking, while self hating for doing so, at his latest London Diary….

He "popped into" his local recently with his brother and a friend "where Lucy Blue, a young and extremely talented Irish singer-songwriter was launching her latest record." He spoke to her dad, who told him they had photos of a visit to the Late Late show a few years previous.

"The master of the house, Oisín, casually pointed to a man on his left and said: ‘You know Paul?’ It took me a moment before I realised it was Paul Mescal who was there with his sister Nell and brother Donnacha. A nicer family you couldn’t meet, and it was lovely to briefly catch up with them."

Some internet sleuthing tells me that Paul Mescal's sister Nell is best friends with the singer, Lucy Blue. They hang out together in London.

Which has nothing whatsoever to do with Tubs' co-incidental visit to his local, and the owner "casually pointing to a man on his left", that being Paul Mescal.

Tubs just happened to be there. Just like he happened to bump into Feargal Sharkey on Paddy's Day. Even his prose "casually pointed" is his píss poor attempt to pretend it's all a fluke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

After he leaves his rent-free accommodation in the heads of those of us who post in this thread.

Advertisement