Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,209 ✭✭✭✭phog

NO, it DID not, you and others trying to make this out to be something it's not and worse still are happy to drag the thread through another pile of dog poo.

It actually started with a poster saying who will captain the tour, and that poster went on to name Beirne.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Poster suggested Beirne could be skipper, this was your reply;

“Beirne should not be on tour, we know what he delivers and he could do with the summer off

Doris has been stand in captain for POM so it's safe to assume he'll get that role in SA”

So why rest Beirne and not other players with a lot of minutes?

Re read the thread, I mentioned Beirne in the context that he and he alone was mentioned by the OP

If you're going quote me on who I think should not be on the tour then re-read the thread and see what I have said about the tour.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,468 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

dont be disingenuous now phog

this is your post from 14th of this month:

at least you've been consistent, but own your opinion please and do not try and pass it of as "i just mentioned Beirne because another poster did"

so why dont you answer bogwhoppit and others question? why beirne and not other players with high minutes? what makes him different?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Sorry but you mentioned resting Beirne and in the same comment said that Doris should be captain

Doris who has played just as much for Ireland and also played a lot more intense European games for Leinster as they got to the final.

That makes no sense

Just to confirm I think none of them should be rested and they can be in the URC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

@phog

Maybe I’ve taken you up wrong but your posts come across as saying Beirne should be singled out for special treatment.
    Personally I think none should be rested for the tour if fit, they get rested for the club games.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭nerd69

People seem to think that we have some aort of say over selection policies of the national team on boards. Its chat not advice to andy

Ah here, you're the one being disingenuous, you trawled through my posts to try and find me mentioning Beirne and then ignored the previous post where once again someone else mentioned Beirne.

It's gas at this stage that you really want to turn this into something it's not.

You absolutely are taking me up wrong.

I've previously stated that I think a number of players should be rested for this tour and that we should be targeting a few players that are in the fringes but all that is forgotten about because there's no point scoring in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

To me, @AbusesToilets post reads like a response to a previous post about Henderson, and mentions Beirne in the same context as McCarthy & Ryan.

Your post doesn't read like a response. It reads like a strongly held opinion that Beirne, specifically, should not travel to SA as he has played 'enough rugby'.

Perhaps you did not intend it to be read as such, but it looks definitive.

• Advertisement

It's gas at this stage that you really want to turn this into something it's not.

something its not?

we've no idea what "this" is because you refuse to explain why Beirne and not others?

im genuinely perplexed as to why you cannot develop your opinion on this, this is a discussion board after all isnt it? it wouldn't be much of a place for discussion if we all made bland statements and didnt bother to explain them.

at least the posters arguing against you are able to say that, as Beirne is a CC player he will travel and play, and his minutes should be managed throughout the season at club level.

now perhaps you dont agree with this statement, but refusing to argue your corner is not a good look for you, especially considering youve made your bland statement twice now without progression. Or maybe its simply a Big Lebowski thing happening here.

Yes, this is not difficult.

Henderson is injured, AB mentions that he thinks Henderson may not make the squad anyway and then names 3 players that would be ahead of him, two on whom are in their early 20s, one of whom is in his 30s.

I suggested resting guy in his 30s.

Ahh …. is being in your 30's then the same thing as played 'enough rugby'.

Motherfuckers who thought their ass would age like wine. If you mean it turns to vinegar, it does. If you mean it gets better with age, it don't. - Marcellus Wallace

You told me in a Pvt Message that you aren't interested in any of my replies.

If that is your view then the you're really only posting for point scoring and in view of your recent (now deleted) post on how you view anyone from Munster this will be my last reply to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Anyway. If we assume a 33-man squad, it could look something like this;

Porter, Healy, Loughman, Furlong, Bealham, Jager, Sheehan, Kelleher, Herring

Ryan, Beirne, McCarthy, Murray/Ahern/Treadwell

Doris, VDF, Baird, Conan, Prendergast, POM/Ahern/Hodnett

JGP, Murray, Casey

Crowley, R Byrne, Frawley

Aki, Henshaw, McCloskey, Ringrose/Osborne

Lowe, Nash, JOB, Hansen/Larmour

So I reckon the only calls are

• who replaces Henderson, is Ahern viewed as a lock or a 6? Do we move on from Treadwell?
    • will POM travel or is he retiring from tests?
    • Are Ringrose and Hansen going to be fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I don't think POM was as good as he has been last season. Baird and Ahern were both better than him this year imo, and there's also Prendergast. I feel like this is the time to move on from him. He's only going to trend down, and we have excellent replacements.

Likewise, I don't think we should take both of Murray and Casey. Doak would be a call for the future, or Cooney outright based on form, if we're wanting an old head. Murray should be retired period.

Youre very upset just because you were asked to explain your point of view, by others mind, not me. Thats quite a strange stance to take on a public discussion forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭TRC10

Jesus Christ if the likes of Healy, POM and Murray go on this tour then we deserve every bit of quarter final misery we get

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I reckon you're a back three player short (Stockdale) and a backrower heavy. Farrell likes going with only one openside, and you don't need three 6s or 8s. I can't see them phasing out O'Mahony yet considering he was captain for the 6N and looking at how Earls was kept on. Farrell sees the squad harmony/morale positive as outweighing the negative of an aging player maybe not quite being there purely based on playing merit. And POM probably isn't even at that stage yet.

I'm interested to see where Tom O'Toole is in the pecking order. He's been a bit of a pet project for Farrell over the last three or four seasons, but is he now behind Jager? Does he switch to loosehead? Farrell's gone with only 5 props in squads before, and he doesn't seem especially keen on Loughman, so maybe they just go with the props that make the XXIII and O'Toole.

The World Cup is 3 years away, if you are just going to discuss the World Cup on every post its going to be a long long 3 years

😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

The whole internet read your deleted post. You cannot say you're arguing in good faith. Great to see how you feel when the mask drops though..

You probably could select with the World Cup in mind in the case of Healy and Murray - two bench players - with minimal impact on the chances of actually winning versus SA. Promote the third choices to the bench - Loughman/O'Toole at loosehead, and Casey at scrumhalf, and select a high potential emergent player who you project to be there or thereabouts as a potential first XXIII player come 2027 as the back-up, third choice option. They likely wouldn't actually see gametime, as it's only two matches, but could benefit from being brought into the set-up.

If selecting a high potential young player such as Paddy McCarthy or Matthew Devine would complicate things because they're expected to start back training ahead of next season sooner then you could just pick more established players as third choices - have Loughman and O'Toole as the reserves behind Porter, and perhaps Doak instead of Murray.

There's a good argument for it. You have to move on at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I'd say the time to start moving on in terms of the selected starting 15 and bench will be directly after the New Zealand match in November. The teams facing Argentina and Fiji in particular should have some new blood in them.
    The point about giving Loughman and Casey game time off the bench instead of Healy and Murray is valid though, depends if the coaches see an equivalency in terms of ability and impact. If Healy and Murray offer a bit more impact off the bench then they hold their spots.
    I'd expect to see a few new faces being called into the training camp in October with a view to breaking into the 23 against Argentina or Fiji in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

The squad for the South Africa tour could be something like this:
    LP: Porter, Healy, Loughman
    HK: Sheehan, Kelleher, Herring
    TP: Furlong, Bealham, Jager/O'Toole
    TL: McCarthy, Ryan
    LL: Beirne, Ahern
    BF: O'Mahony, Baird
    OF: Van der Flier, Timoney/Connors
    N8: Doris, Conan
    SH: Gibson-Park, Murray, Casey
    OH: Crowley, Frawley, H Byrne/R Byrne
    LW: Lowe, Stockdale
    IC: Aki, McCloskey
    OC: Ringrose, Henshaw
    RW: Nash, Larmour
    FB: O'Brien
    Utility: Osborne
    I'd say Osborne will replace Ringrose if he doesn't show fitness by the end of this season. Otherwise he is either a utility back or next in line to be called up if needed.
    There's a possible toss-up between Stockdale and Larmour, if so I'd go with Larmour.
    I'd choose H Byrne, Timoney and Jager over R Byrne, Connors and O'Toole respectively.
    A close call is Tom Stewart losing out to Herring.

I can't see any surprises in the summer squad really.
    It's possibly a bit tough on Cian Prendergast if he doesn't get a spot but I think they'd prefer Ahern and Baird as lock/blind-side flanker cover, and Timoney as cover across all three positions in the back row.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Irish Rugby has a big problem at loosehead. Once you go past Porter the quality just isn't there.

None of the current starting or replacement props at the provinces are good enough to be relied upon. Of the lot Healy is still probably the best and he's clearly nearing the end of his career.

Might have to go to the newer generation of props like Milne of even Boyle before you get to someone who can possibly be trusted to bench ahead of Healy. And even then I have reservations about Milne.

Milne's so dodgy in the scrum though. Loughman's miles ahead of him in that regard.

Boyle is the perfect selection for the Emerging Ireland tour, it seems to me. It would leave Leinster working with Milne and McCarthy at the start of next season before the internationals filter back in, and the Ireland coaches get to integrate Boyle, who is currently behind Milne but probably a better prospect right now due to Milne's poor scrummaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

We might see O'Toole get his first outing at LH.

Can't see Treadwell still on the cards - he's been very quiet this season, possibly leapfrogged by Sheridan at Ulster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭TRC10

I'd say the time to start moving on in terms of the selected starting 15 and bench will be directly after the New Zealand match in November. The teams facing Argentina and Fiji in particular should have some new blood in them.

Nah because then we'll be told "we need to prepare for the 6N, so we can't experiment"

Advertisement