Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Surely the argument is simply that he will play more and playing is good for development?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Starting for Connacht is not as appealing as fighting to start for leinster. Starting for leinster gives the realistic opportunity to get to knock-out stages and win competitions.

Not to mention that being at leinster increases his chances of making Ireland squads.

Connacht will make their case to keep him, that's their right. But I'd be surprised if his loan goes well and he takes the option to stay at Connacht.

If I had to bet I'd be happy to bet on him returning to leinster

I can't see a good outcome from this - if it goes brilliantly and he lights it up and becomes the player we all think and hope he can become then Connacht will be credited with this, and the argument will be that it makes no sense to take him out of that environment where he's thriving.

If it goes badly and he looks physically not ready for that level of rugby yet on a week to week basis (as I suspect), he'll be scapegoated and cast aside, and will be coming back to Leinster as a player devoid of confidence and trying to learn a new attacking system and basically starting where he started this season from again (but with less hype and expectation).

He just turned 21 in February, and has had a relatively unprecedented level of gametime for a player that young in recent years (across any of the four provinces). He's in the place in Ireland with the clear, undisputed track record of producing and developing international quality talent.

His advisors are Line Up Sports, who also have guys like Josh van der Flier, Jack Conan, Tadhg Furlong, Joe McCarthy, Ryan Baird, James Ryan and a few others. They also though represent two guys who should be very instructive in this instance - Joey Carbery and Ian Madigan. Maybe it's worked out better for their bank balances leaving Leinster, but you'd never convince me their rugby careers turned out better by leaving Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

If he wants to win trophies he will return, no harm to Connacht and they are doing an excellent job with stadium etc. But the chances of winning trophies are the worst of all the provinces.

What happened to the whispers of Leinster wanting a NIQ 10?

I would expect if Leinster are letting Predergast go to Connacht they will be getting something in return and a NIQ 10 could be the option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

The pecking-order of 10s at Leinster isn't an immutable law of the universe, so Leinster could always just decide to play him more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Leinster players can cope with mental scars of Toulouse defeat, insists coach Jacques Nienaber

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/leinster-players-can-cope-with-mental-scars-of-toulouse-defeat-insists-coach-jacques-nienaber/a103401427.html

Christ the negativity!

So what if Connacht gets credit fir developing him? Like, who gives a shiny shyte if he comes back a better player and people give Connacht credit? What a terrible outlook.

If he's not ready physically, I presume they'll manage his gametime and training load.

Don't you worry about players' confidence. Let them worry about that. It's such an overblown load of guff the media use to tell the story. Is being 4th choice, playing in scratch teams in SA, getting hammered, great for confidence?

Has it even occurred to you that it might go well? He might go to Connacht, get more gametime, more responsibility, experience with different coaches and colleagues, make some mistakes, have some decent performance and develop both physicality and skills?

I couldn't give a shite who gets the credit for developing him into a better player if he actually develops into one, but my argument above is that in that scenario, there would be a huge groundswell of noise for him not to return, that the reason for his development is the environment in Connacht.

He has gotten plenty of minutes and game time, including in a number of Champions Cup fixtures this season. An unprecedented level of gametime for such a young player across any of the four provinces over the past few seasons. If he has the ability to breakthrough and become the player we hope he'll become, then he has a much better chance of doing that in Leinster than anywhere else. Leinster have by far and away the best track record of turning high potential young players into Irish internationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Madeoface

Yes indeed, great servant to the province. Unlucky Ireland was stacked at 6 and 8 over his career. Old fashioned, reliable engine and tough as old boots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

My OCD insists that the thread title gets changed soon….

Do you think that there is any real-world impact created by that noise?

Yeah, I absolutely do. I think a primary example of this is the recent change to the CC contract policy etc, a lot of which I believe was driven by noise in the wider media and fans etc too.

On Prendergast - I think he's a really talented player who is going to be a good player wherever he goes in all likelihood. I do think there's a much higher likelihood of this in Leinster, and obviously as a Leinster fan, I want him to stay in Leinster.

I doubt they'll care about who the public think is responsible for developing him. If Connacht play him and he develops, then they'll be entitled to some credit.

We know leinster has a development plan at 10 to play the 3 back up options inconsistently, and Prendergast is back of the queue.

The options are to give Prendergast the fewest minutes of the 4, with least responsibility, in teams with fewest of the front line players. That's one approach and it has its pros and cons. Great chance we'll be here in 12 month wondering if Leinster will finally give him a proper run in 2026 to see if he's any good because we won't know due to him playing in second string Leinster sides.

The other option is to let him have more minutes, more responsibility and with the Connacht first team.

I think it's a good option to give him the opportunity to prove himself and develop.

Had a run of bad injuries at the wrong time, he had some great games, looked like he nailed his spot in team and then would get injured

Fair enough, no way of ever knowing for sure but I'd be very disappointed if that was the case.

I think there's absolutely zero chance of Prendergast staying with Connacht for longer than one season. He's from Leinster, I'm sure he's grown up wanting to play for Leinster. While lots of players make the move, it's almost always after it's become clear that a career in Leinster is not viable. I think there's a tier of elite level players/prospects (Porter, Ryan, Doris etc.), which I believe Prendergast is very much a part of, who would never even consider moving to Galway.

He got more minutes at 10 this season than Frawley, so that's not accurate. He's a guy who just turned 21 years old, and it's entirely reasonable to assume they'll keep building up his minutes to give him even more opportunities next season.

This notion that he only plays in fully rotated sides is also incorrect - he was part of squads and played this year against Sale, Stade and Leicester in Europe (in largely full strength squads), he started on New Year's Day against Ulster in a team contained JGP, Doris, Sheehan, Henshaw etc, and has appeared in plenty of other strong squads this season too.

The notion that Leinster have been dragging their heels on this guy or asleep on his development is completely misguided - they signed him to the Academy as an U19, and then promoted him to a full senior deal after 1 year in the Academy. They've since given him 16 caps and 546 minutes in the first team, including three Champions Cup caps.

The incredibly highly touted Matthew Devine, a guy who should be minimum one full year ahead of Prendergast in his development only really made a breakthrough at the end of this season, and has played 7 times total for Connacht, for 166 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Could prendergast go to Connacht for 6 /8 months while hanrahan is recovering and come back to leinster after the 6 nations.

Would he still be potentially eligible to play in the champions cup for Leinster.. assuming Connacht would be in the challange cup next year?

It's really hard to know - this thing wouldn't have even gotten to this stage of discussions if he wasn't up for it IMO, so I'd say the likelihood of it occurring now is very high.

I think it's a mistake for him, but can see why it makes sense for Connacht right now.

I specifically didn't refer to Frawley's minutes at 10 because he's been passes around like a tin of roses at Christmas. That's good in one way because he's got minutes, but he hasn't nailed down a best position and is viewed by management as a utility back.

Sure, Prendergast has occasionally played in teams that even gave a few front line players. But its stilted and inconsistent.

I'd like to see him get a run of games starting and subbing, to see how good he actually is. That won't happen at leinster next year. They have several competing priorities which means neither he, Harry or Frawley will get runs of games at 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I can't imagine there's any value for Leinster, Connacht or Sam coming back mid-season. He'd need to be recoached and would immediately be at a disadvantage.

With respect, you have absolutely no basis for saying that (he won't get a lot of gametime at Leinster next season). He played in multiple teams this year with plenty of front line players, and put plenty of runs of games together too (played in Rounds 1,2,3 & 5 of the URC and Rounds 10,11,12,14,17 as well).

Absolutely nobody anywhere would have thought in early January 2021 that Joe McCarthy was on the radar for Leinster, and he made his debut at the end of that Jan, and has since played 33 times for Leinster (and 10 times for Ireland) and become a mainstay. Similarly, high potential young players in the past in multiple scenarios have made the leap from a smattering of appearances to nailed on regulars really quickly. Nobody can realistically question Leo Cullen's credentials in terms of giving chances to talented young players.

He'll get the opportunities he's ready for - and the coaches are far better placed to evaluate that when they see him on the training ground every day of the week.

You mentioned in the earlier post he got the fewest minutes of the four OHs and my point is that isn't accurate, as he had way more mins at 10 than Frawley.

Sounds like you're pretty happy with the current 10 development plan. I think it could be better and the Connacht loan gives time to focus on all 3 alternatives to Ross.

I'm not necessarily happy with the current direction of travel at 10. I don't think Ross Byrne is ever really going to be a difference maker for us at the very highest levels, and I don't have faith/confidence in Harry Byrne to actually get his **** together and be able to deliver on his talent.

But that's all the more reason why I don't want Prendergast to go - I think he'll benefit more from another summer of conditioning/S&C (he went to the U20 RWC last season and then was injured), and from a proper pre-season under what is hopefully an exciting and talented attack coach in Bleyendaal, who is a former 10, (important to remember Andrew Goodman was gone to the RWC all of last summer), and then that Prendergast is hopefully in position to play meaningful minutes and push to capture the 10 shirt at Leinster next season.

Ah yeah I think he's probably interested in a loan but I'd be absolutely shocked if he'd any slight intention of staying beyond that.

As a Connacht fan I'd like to see it happen, but I hope he's not being pressured by the IRFU (or anyone else). I think he's in a good position to make an informed decision, better than any of us. He has a brother who can give him information on the mood in the camp, quality of training, confidence in the coaches, etc. He has worked with Mark Sexton before. I'm sure he has had conversation with both sides and has been given a good idea of his place in the respective depth charts, and the minutes he can expect.

Unless Leinster are getting an NIQ I don't see the benefit of the move

As pointed out above a season under Nienaber and Bleyendaal would be better in my opinion than shipping him out to Connacht, give him some more games in URC and maybe 1-2 starts in Europe in group stages and his progress can be managed.

If he shows massive improvement then Leinster can play him more. I think Ross Byrne contract would be up at the end of next season s well so would give Leinster a better insight into what they plan to do with him, would he be let go if Predergast has shown massive improvement?

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

As a Connacht supporter, where would you see Sam Prendergast at Connacht. Does he start behind Carty and/or a fit JJ ?. Would he be in any 23 once JJ is available ?.

If he goes as the back up to Jack & performs does that push him past JJ too ?.

My point is that if Sam is going to 'warm the pine' he might be better off staying in Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

By 25/26 Ross might not be at Leinster anymore! EDIT: Ross Signed contract 20223. Presume next 25/26 season is the last year of his contract.

Harry signed new contract few days ago.

Leinster are stuck in a Byrne vortex.

Prendergast should definitely go to Connacht.

Prediction 25/26:

Having never heard of Aidan Morgan and only seen the highlight reel..….I venture he'll be in the Irish squad ahead of the Byrnes(&Burns!).

Ireland depth chart: 1. Crowley, 2. Morgan, 3. Prendergast, 4. Harry, 5. Ross? or Frawley!

I haven't seen a timeframe for JJ's return but given his age and (relative) lack of athleticism it would probably be late in the season before he returns I would have thought? I think Prendergast is making most 23s immediately, after that I guess it's a question of whether or not he can surpass Carty, which I think he will pretty quickly.

• Advertisement

JJ had moved into the number 1 slot but from all reports will be out all of net season. Carty I have no idea what his performances are like recently but JJ got past fairly easy

To me Predergast would be going to be the number 1 with Carty backing him up

Advertisement