Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,071 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

tbf when Corbyn was in charge, it was clear that by the consistent attacks on him their were elements who would have preferred the Tories in charge instead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Historically, British voters have tended to vote Conservative as they get older … but that's no longer the case. To paraphrase the small print from investment offers "the value of your historical trend may go down as well as up".

As I've said before, I think there's a precedent worth taking account of in recent French political change. Up until three elections ago, it was the same stagnant Left-Right game of musical chairs since the founding of the 5th République, with a token protest vote for the Far Left and the Far Right. Then JM LePen and the Front National succeeded in getting their spanner into the works, and suddenly everything changed, with both the moderate Left and moderate Right being almost obliterated and Macron's right-of-centre party springing up from nowhere to win two consecutive terms.

From the comfort of my continental armchair, it looks like there's such a level of disgust with the Tories these days that there's a realistic possibility they'll be relegated to third place and a non-negligible chance they might end up worse than that. I would expect Labour to be in a strong position to win a comfortable majority in the next election, but with a lot of other parties now fighting for the public's attention, we might (finally) be looking at the beginning of the end of FPTP in Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,584 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

People care about the train privatisation because it has been a disaster for people who end up on the wrong lines.

I don't know any country does rail the way the UK does with totally different companies running different standards of service.

Local bus services are the same an it's a disaster. I visited Leicester and timetables at a bus stop would only tell you about that company. So you need to check about 4 maps to know what buses run from a stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭blackwhite

It was the majority of the UK electorate that preferred to keep the Tories in charge over Corbyn. Twice.

The movement from the centrists within Labour to try and remove him was to do with having a leader who might actually win an election and unseat the Conservatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Randycove

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The EU directive at the time was for separate accounting units for infrastructure and train operators…. not the wholesale sell off as implemented in Britain in the 1990s. UK govt sold off the infrastructure as Railtrack and the inevitable happened

• Registered Users Posts: 34,641 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Some years back I was in Edinburgh for a few days for a wedding, we got the no.8 bus into the city centre for the day, later we were waiting at the no.8 bus stop on Prince's St to get back to the hotel when a friend happened to pass by, she pointed out we should have been standing at the other no.8 bus stop a couple of hundred metres away run by another company.

How thick is that?

[Bus number may be mis-remembered]

And the best of them was John Major who brought the party back well into the centre ground after Thatcher was ousted by her own people.

It's a sad state of affairs when John Major is the poster boy for a good conservative Prime Minister.

It was Major not Thatcher who privatised BR (and in his second term, at that, so it's a policy he actively pursued not inherited). Not only has this cost the taxpayer and fare-paying public an absolute fortune, it's cost many people their lives.

they don't - we don't.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

When I get on a train in Spain it's Renfe, France SNCF, Ireland Irish Rail. Get on a local bus in Cork it's Bus Eireann/TFI

There might be some train spotter anorak stuff going on behind the scenes but it is not the same as the completely separate entities at the consumer end that the UK have.

and subsequently bought it back. The UK government went too far at the time and has brought a lot more back in house, so to speak.

Jump on a train in Germany though and it could well be operated by a German, French or British company.

Ireland has been very slow on the uptake and has fallen fowl of the EU because of it, but that is why a lot of routes were taken off of Dublin Bus and following a tender process, awarded to Go Ahead group. Eventually train will have to follow suit.

you must be mistaken about the bus numbering, because the local transport authority are responsible for that and what routes buses run and where they stop.

Fares are set centrally, so when you tap your leap card, it is TFI that you are paying and they pay the transport companies accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Anyone who agrees with privatisation of water in Ireland (given what has gone on in the UK) needs their head examined

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

YouGov has the Conservatives on 8% with the under 50s. One wonders if the party can ever recover with these types of numbers against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The infrastructure was brought back into public ownership because the privitised company (Railtrack) managed to kill and injure hundreds of people in their quest for profit. The nationalised entity is Network Rail

for now. Spain has several other train companies now and France, well let’s just say ignoring EU rules isn’t exactly uncommon for them is it. SNCF is now a listed company though and this is seen as the French governments attempts to fall in line with the rest of Europe and open up their rail network to competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,531 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Do not confuse other countries having a small amount of private train operators with their systems being anywhere near as brain-dead as the UK's.

Or realistically, England's. NI was never changed, and both Scotrail and TFW Rail are in state control now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,884 ✭✭✭Shoog

I don't agree on the fundamental principle of running national infrastructure as a private franchise. It rarely if ever saves a penny and generally costs far more as private sector concern. It's an ideological position that private always equals better - but there is very little evidence it does.

The only issue I have with nationalised infrastructure is there has to be several penalties for individuals who mismanage or corrupt the service and there has to be oversight with teeth.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Under 50 is completely meaningless. This is a bit more useful, from YouGov:

https://yougov.co.uk/politics/articles/49512-how-is-britain-voting-as-the-2024-general-election-campaign-begins

I think Labour are in for an easy ride until they do something toxic like the expenses scandal.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

If you are talking to me all I can say is customers don't care who the "transport companies" are.

In London you get on a red bus and tap your Oyster. People don't care what company runs the route.

In many other areas of the UK they do not have a TFL and 1 cities bus service will have many different liveries, timetables and route maps.

Nope it was definitely two bus routes going to different destinations passing along the same street with the same number.

You'd think the council would have prevented that but they didn't.

There was no leap card or TFI then, certainly not in Edinburgh…

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

A bit like FF - if you're below a certain age there's almost no chance you'll ever vote for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,531 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Are you sure this was Edinburgh?

Edinburgh still has council operated buses, Lothian is the name of the operator. There was very little in terms of attempted private competition.

you mean like in Dublin, where you can have Go ahead or Dublin Bus running citywide routes, air coach running services to the airport or the likes of Finnegans and Kavanagh running routes in and out of the city?

But still none of them included Germany as far as I am aware are presented to the customer as separate entities. They follow the TFL model as far as I am aware.

Am I wrong ?

Scot rail and TFW have been taken over by what is called the operator of last resort. In other words either their service was so bad the state was forced to step in, or they went bust.

Yes I am wrong ?

Because every train I have seen in Europe follows the TFL model and not the British train model of separate livery, timetables and booking sites.

from what I have seen, branding is route specific. Even in France.

Nobody is claiming private doesn't exist but the vast majority of the inner city public transport bus service in Dublin is Dublin Bus.

Same as it's TFI in the other cities.

Ive never seen or heard of anyone mention anything other than SNCF.

Its quite clear at this stage anyway that you have no interest in being honest on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,884 ✭✭✭Shoog

In Germany there are dedicated platforms for private inter country operators such as Virgin. Really it is a tiny subset of all services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

When you get on a train in France these days, it could be SNCF (or one of its many subdivisions), Trenitalia, Renfe, Thalys, Eurostar, DB-ICE … A completely new company had been hoping to run services from Lyon to Bordeaux, but they've recently given up citing the insurmountable cost of entering the market. Needless to say the much-vaunted "competition" from having multiple operators on the same tracks has not translated into an improved service for anyone not living in the major population centres, so our local/regional governments bend every EU rule to just short of breaking point and subsidise various private companies to provide the bones of a reliable rail (and bus) service for us rural dwellers.

The same situation can be seen in many other "hot topic" campaign matters - the homelessness, young people "forced" to live with their parents, health care in crisis, drug-fuelled gang wars, etc, etc, etc. On any given day, I'll see the same stuff feature here on boards and be attributed to the failing FFG gubbermint as I'll read about on Le Figaro (attributed to Macron) or hear on Sky (being the fault of the Tories), and my occasional forays into German, Spanish and Italian current affairs reveal much the same.

Call me an auld cynic, but I've come to the conclusion that most voters - whatever their nationality, wherever they live - are too damn stupid to realise that if they keep voting against progressive change, they'll get the same useless governance they've always had … until enough of them vote for some version of the Far Right and feck up the country completely.

Advertisement