Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭star61

A statutory body that is state funded is suing the state for failure to provide accommodation to all those seeking asylum here. We are oblidged by some sort of law to provide accommodation to anyone who claims asylum. They do not have to prove anything just claim. Is there a law that the State must provide the same for it's own citizen's? Did any of the state funded bodies ever take a case for the Irish homeless and their rights? Is there a state body that could take a case for the children suffering with scoliosis as the state has surely failed to provide for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,291 ✭✭✭facehugger99

We were told in work last week by our 'Diversity Officer' that it would be inappropriate to have a bake sale during Ramadan.

I honestly wish I was making that up.

Religion should be a strictly private matter and be left at the door when you enter a workplace. This kind of pandering to certain religions is the thin edge of the wedge. We spent decades trying to get rid of the chokehold the Catholic church had on our society and now we're going to import tens of thousands that think their religion should be woven into the fabric of everyday life.

Seriously, this **** needs to be nipped in the bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Nice spiel 👍️

I'll make my response a little bit shorter

1. Croke Park's guardians are the GAA. They "hand over" the keys to Croke Park to whoever wants to rent it out. So nothing to do with Leo Varadkar or the Irish government.
    2. I don't need a misty eyed history lesson on Croke Park or it's place in Irish culture. I've been there hundreds of times and to over a dozen all Ireland finals so I know exactly what it means to Irish people. But get this, it's a sports ground. There's nothing "holy" about it. It's been used for plenty of other things over the years. Concerts, boxing, soccer, rugby, the Special Olympics, religious ceremonies. You just don't like the fact that it was used by one religion in particular (no objection to the catholic ceremonies I presume, despite the damage that church inflicted in Ireland over the years) and somehow that's the "begining of the end", whatever that's supposed to mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It's fairly simple. Do you think it would be OK for an Irish citizen on the social housing lists to be pushed down the list to facilitate housing our new guests?

If so, then surely it's equally logical for those with second homes as in holiday homes to hand them over temporarily for the use of the state. It's an emergency we are told. And we're all in this together across the social spectrum? Aren't we? Or do some people think the lower social classes should suffer the most?

We don't own a holiday home and if we did we'd be a bit unhappy about handing it over as above. But if that's what is required in this emergency.. well yes. Would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

IHREC are an organisation that protects and promotes human rights. If you believe you are a victim of a human rights violation, you can absolutely go to IHREC for assistance.

As regards the accomodation issue, it's not houses etc, it's the fact that they are just handing out tents for people to sleep rough. They do provide accomodation for Irish citizens, homeless shelters, B&B, hotels etc are all accomodation. ( Not in any way acceptable, IMO) But no Irish person has to sleep on the streets.

I have no idea whether or not the courts will judge in their favour, but I'm sure we all agree that leaving anyone to sleep on the streets is not an acceptable occurrence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Just to point out here, I know you are talking about female genital mutilation but infant male genital mutilation, often carried out for reasons of religion or culture, is both legal and practised in Ireland and obviously elsewhere in the Western world. In sanitary and professional conditions yes, but it is still very much the mutilation of the penis of an infant male. Ultimately, even if female genital mutilation were practiced to the finest standards of surgical excellence and sanitary conditions, we would still see it as abhorrent — and rightly so.

It's not that I'm particularly passionate about the topic of circumcision, but it's interesting how cultural bias applies and suddenly people will rush to list out the nuances that distinguish circumcision of infants when — if the concept had only been invented yesterday— we would be inclined to call it mutilation.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,129 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

There are absolutely circumstances when circumcision is necessary . So you need to distinguish that from the practice of circumcising young males for religious reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Do you think the religion you're defending would allow a Christian celebration to take place in say the Lusail Iconic Stadium? Somehow I doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I think posters should be honest in their debate. He is not defending a religion - he is defending the usage of Croke Park by it's owners. I have played in Croke Park and attended many many matches there but I don't care what they use it for either. All those activities are great money earners for the GAA and more power to them. I wish more of it would trickle down to the clubs but that's a different debate 🙂

@Lotus Flower

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

Ok let me rephrase, do you think that "one religion in particular" would allow Christian celebrations to take place in one of their sports grounds @Billy Mays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

I'm not getting the relevance tbh. The GAA isn't a religion 😐

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Yeah, there can be circumstances where it's necessary and there may well be circumstances in which someone might — of their own volition — decide to get circumcised for their own reasons. But the fact remains that it is performed perfectly lawfully on infants across the West for reasons which are often just religious or cultural. So I do think the point stands that we can be a little blind to our own biases on the topic of genital mutilation sometimes.

And I do think the wider relevance there is that we can also hold a lot of subconscious biases or hypocrisy when it comes to our assessment of other cultures etc. Anyway — will park the circumcision point there.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭engineerws

I suggest you read the following

In short, the ant will likely not always care for the grasshopper.

I think most would agree that, no matter how nice or deserving the asylum seekers may be, we have a capacity issue. In addition, we seem to be attracting record numbers of asylum seekers at the moment.

As such, a cap on the numbers to be processed for asylum might seem reasonable under the circumstances.

Post edited by engineerws on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I agree with you on FGM .

It is this very abuse of defenceless young girls and their mothers that has them fleeing and looking for asylum here and elsewhere .

Glad you acknowledge the issue .

It isn't just war that creates refugees .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I have no idea why you are referring to me, your post has nothing to do with what I posted, which was in relation to IHREC and what they do. They are merely an organisation looking after human rights.

Neither they nor I, said anything about numbers coming here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Heard Nick Henderson of the 'Refugee Council' on again this morning. He seems to get an excessive amount of airtime on the national broadcaster. Nick is still of the opinion that it's a matter of educating the Irish public as to our obligations. He seems to regard us as illiterate peasants, incapable of understanding what is happening and at risk of falling prey to right wing fascists.

I'm writing to all our TDs and Euro hopefuls today, urging them to defund Mick and his cronies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭batman_oh

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

I get what you're saying but to be honest, I find you a wee bit patronising. I'm not aware that male circumcision is widely practised in Ireland amongst Irish people apart from the small Jewish community.

However, there are two big differences. Female circumcision is carried out on girls at a stage of development where it is both terrifying and excruciatingly painful. It's also frequently done at home and can lead to infection or even death. In adulthood childbirth is far more difficult as their genitals are often sewn up with a small opening. The other difference of course is the infringement of their natural right to a normal sex life. I think circumcised males can still enjoy that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

I don't see too many Somalian women fleeing to Ireland. It's the men mostly isn't it? And if they settle here and send for the women, you'll find that practise of female circumcision will continue at least to some extent, as it has in Norway for example. Around a third of Somalians there continue to support it and see it as a necessary part of their religion.

I wouldn't think so .

I was clarifying the point that people from certain areas of the world are fleeing horrific torture and practises as described and not just war .

What do you think on the subject ?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭engineerws

Your statement "I'm sure we all agree that leaving anyone to sleep on the streets is not an acceptable occurrence.", is discussed in the classic Aesop's tables tale, the grasshopper and the ant.

The outcome is different than your assumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭star61

There are no Irish

I'm confused, "No Irish person has to sleep on the streets", that's great……………… I wonder that they do then.

If Irish homeless are accomodated in hotels / hostels, then are they considered homeless? Do they have all their meals & benefits aswell? Why do we constantly hear of 14,000 Irish homeless……. if they all have accomodation?

Sleeping in a tent is unacceptable of course, yet it occurs in most countries worldwide. We cannot accomodate huge numbers of people from around the world even if we would like to. Wasting money ( State money ) suing a Government ( again State money ) that is trying beyond its means to help people is also not an acceptable occurance I'm sure we would also agree.

Would the State not providing proper care to Scoliosis children be considered a Human Rights Violation? Or is there another State body that would take a case for them against the Government?

That's the thing isn't it. Someone coming here isn't just going to change their views overnight in the same way that if we move to Saudi Arabia we are not just going to start thinking that being gay is a sin and women shouldn't be seen in public and should be covered from head to toe. It's the elephant in the room but uncontrolled mass immigration is very likely to bring a lot of beliefs that are not compatible with Western societies. I mean on the topic of FGM, that was not a thing in Ireland before. But now it is. I don't know what the answer is, before anyone asks. But I also don't understand why some people refuse to acknowledge this

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Rough sleepers are a tiny proportion of the homeless numbers:

Not saying it doesn't happen but they are subject to our laws .People have been prosecuted for carrying it out in Ireland .

My point is that there are people fleeing torture like that practise and others ,not just war , and it's carried out in many African countries unfortunately, not just Somalia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

30 rough sleepers in the country😮that cant be right, theres more than that in Galway city.

• Advertisement

As to people not changing their practices ,not criminal .. that is true .

But why do you expect people to change everything in their culture , like dress and religion ?

It is however important they accept our laws and any that don't should be deported.

There are many gay people fleeing abuse and torture also btw.

Advertisement