Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increase in Anti-EV Media Articles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭yagan

If the EU had worked was working with the likes of Lidl/Aldi and other supermarkets to install chargers in all their car parks by 2034 I'd believe you, but otherwise I doubt it.

Having hybrids replace diesels entirely by then is very achievable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Apologies, your comment is a bit confusing… What exactly do you not believe? The bit about new ICE car sales ending in 2035? That's european law. In order to roll back on that they would need consensus from the commission and I think it would also need to go through the parliament, who are fairly set on it. I agree there's not enough work being done on it though at a legislative level but it is coming

• Registered Users Posts: 12,252 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I'd say manufacturers have to respond to customer demand. If that demands is defaulting to hybrids due to mixed messages from Govt and the media. Manufacturers have to follow what's trending.

Yeah and I guess they could always sell them here for 8 years and elsewhere after that point

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

More likely you'll see the media messaging tightening up as manufacturers move consumer sentiment towards the cars they need to sell. There isn't a single seller of cars in Europe that needs to sell more EVs in 2024. Plenty of them will need to sell more in 2025.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭traco

As an outright petrol head I think the amount of nonsense that is being leaked into the average persons psyche is amazing. They hear stories and tales of someone that knew someone etc etc and the stories grow legs. Many people like to think they "know more / better" are "too smart" to be caught with EVs the same way as diesels are now toxic even though a modern blue efficiency diesel is very clean compared to older gens.

At this stage I don't bother correcting people anymore as its their loss. As I said I am a petrol head with a V12 Twin Turbo monster and a flat six mid engine plaything and a diesel long distance work hack but for 99% of the household usage Mrs Tracos EV is the perfect machine.

Unfortunately most people won't do any independent research and analysis and the media just wants clicks. I believe a certain high profile cars sales person was on yetserday or today moaning that BMW wanted 42k for the hybrid system in an i8. Again just more profiling and clicks. Thats the system and if you see it for what it is you can just filter all that out and for those that dodn't it leaves chargers under less pressure for the rest of us the odd time we need them.

EU targets get missed all the time, and there's no way EU nations will help rivals from other blocs kill off EU industry.

EU laws change as the facts change.

Yeah but this one has gained so much momentum and copycat laws around the world it would be a huge embarrassment to roll it back. I can see Labour leading in the UK next month, they will definitely keep their target of 2035 (or maybe even bring it back to 2030) Imagine if the EU had to delay their plan while the UK didn't. Major embarrassment!

Copycat laws? Don't follow.

Embarrassment? It would be far more politically unacceptable in the EU to kill off native industry for some other blocs benefit.

The UK can barely maintain their road network as is without talking about investment in EV charging.

Can only agree with all of this. It's impossible to take any media at face value these days. Or anyone who just echos what sound bites they've heard somewhere else. You have to do your own research. If someone hasn't I've no time for them.

• Advertisement

I don't see any embarrassment in admitting you've overreached and adjusting targets accordingly. That's just life.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Nadia paid €42k to bmw for repairs yet sits there praising them for it. She should have done some research and went to Vitronix, John Earls or HB Denis instead. I had BMW diagnose a faulty KLE, EME and hearing resistor in a 530e. €17k estimate to repair. Done independently for just under €4k by Vitronix. And the KLE and heater was perfect. It was just the EME!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭pah

Taken out of context this is exactly what some of the free spirited people I know sound like about the "clot-shot"

😅

I think people's paranoia really exploded during lockdown. Lapped up media like sheep.

Had someone in the office today blithering on about EVs every myth there is. I just walked away.

Meant to come back to this. I see both shops advertising their chargers. On reflection I think all my local ones have chargers. Though I've never used them. Easy go I think. While I never use a local one. I can see the value in knowing a chain of shops is likely to have a charger wherever you go. Obviously handy for people without home charger.

Is it overreaching or embarrassing if California, the UK and Ethiopia get there before us?

It's overreaching and embarrassing to think that's a useful comparison....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭creedp

There used to be queues at these until charging was introduced

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/2024/06/01/from-dublin-to-mayo-will-my-ev-get-me-to-the-church-on-time-for-a-family-wedding/

Not anti Ev but definitely an article that wouldnt even be news if there wasnt a concern that Evs are a pain in the hole to charge/ not news if the country had ample chargers in more remote locations - charging anxiety now replacing range anxiety.

Summary, Irish times correspondent owns an Ev, lives in a terrace house so "can only dream of the luxury of a dedicated parking space to charge my car at discounted night-time rates", and has a wedding in Mayo to go to. Charging the car to 100% before the journey is not simple but with effort and luck it is almost managed and they also get lucky with chargers on the way there and back so in the end all is good, albeit a lot of time and effort spent on the phone looking for chargers and alternatives. Ironically a green party Ev is blocking (perfectly legally of course) one of the potential charge points!

In the end, its a fuel cost of about €75 rather than €100 for an ICE so as a reader you are left wondering if its worth the hassle and anxiety, the correspondents view is improvements in charging infrastructure is the only way to meet the governments targets on Ev uptake

Tangent…. some Ev heads get insanely annoyed at anyone who says they are "privileged" to have a driveway, maybe "luxury" of a driveway as used in the above article would be ok phraseology

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Complete BS article, designed to feed an anti EV narrative. Yer man has a cross country journey the next day so, rather than charge the night before at a fast charger like a normal person, decides to go hunting for a *slow* charger to plug into for hours the next morning before travelling and then moans he has trouble doing so and is caught for time. You'd want to be pretty thick to do that - or deliberately engineering your piece for clicks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I can't read the article and I don't know what part of mayo he was going to or what part of Dublin he's starting in

I drove Dublin to knock airport last weekend, total charging time 20 mins in Charlestown so had enough to get back.

Last year I drove Dublin to Westport for a Tommy tiernan show and can't remember charging time, but it was minimal and we eat at same time as charging.

At no stage was I anxious, worried or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭creedp

It just reinforces the view expressed by many EV owners on here, dont bother buying an EV unless you have home charging

Was down in Cork yesterday and charged at Mahon Point supercharger. Was lucky that 2 free chargers when I arrived but another lad arrived just after me.and plugged into last one. Then 3 further cars arrived and queued. I was charging for just over 20 min while the lad beside me left about a min before me.

The other 2 chargers were hogged by 2 Model S that were plugged in but not charging. So the 3rd car could have been waiting up to 40 min for a charge. Pita if you were in a rush. Not an anti EV view just reality.

I know it's a 60 to 70k car or whatever it costs, but the new BMW 3 series reaffirmed my belief that PHEVs are a big part of the future, it may require a policy shift but a 100km range from battery and ICE engine is not to be sniffed at.

I'm fully EV, 2 of them outside and not an engine in sight but I do think to win people over to driving on battery power, a 100km PHEV is a tempting proposition.

I also don't think it would be that expensive to put the 20kwh battery into cheaper, more mainstream cars.

Plenty of people with driveways refuse to entertain the idea of EV, it's not just those without.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

yes but unless the unfortunate driveway-less eV drivers get their story out there that the charging situation has to be both plentiful AND cheap for mass adoption, then there will be nether mass adoption nor many feel good stories in the media

The writer of the article lives in Stonybatter and from what i can see theres only slow chargers in that area. He would hardly be expected to drive to blanchardstown or the likes to do a "quick" charge for an hour or so and then back in would he ? Thats hardly the definition of convienent compared to plugging into a slow charger round the corner and picking up the car a few hours later, and he is hardly being malicious to keep to the normal charging routine that he would normally use.

What's the end objective of adding 20kwh to cars.

What would you call waiting until last minute to charge from 0% for a long distance journey to a wedding. Knowing full well access to local chargers is problematic. Not least considering the person had exactly the same experience the last time they did this.

I mean why have an EV at all if you've no access to reliable to charging. Seems like that's asking for problems. But perhaps that's the objective.

More journeys done on battery. Like it or not, a big majority don't have the same mindset as us, some people will never go full EV until there's 1000km range and fast charging as easy as filling with petrol. Which means massive batteries of newer technology, costs on buying cars and costs of providing infrastructure.

Doesn't solve for the drivewayless amongst us but would solve for anti EV

I had a shorter range phev before EV and with 100kms real world range, I'd do it again if I liked the car and price was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

I have said this repeatedly, but this place is like an ard feis for the Green Party on the subject. Modern generation PHEVs with good range are the perfect solution for more or less carbon free driving together with having none of the downsides of a bev.

Yeah and I think the future will be a 'hybrid', pardon the pun of EVs and PHEVs.

Hard to foretell human behaviour but if electricity is substantially cheaper per km driven than petrol, you'd like to think people will go to the effort of plugging in. But then again, maybe not.

I had phev 530e but it was the original one from 2017/18 and the range just wasn't good enough, for me, on electric, and I like driving on electric but I was 50/50 electric/petrol and constantly trying to eek out range. I wouldn't be doing that with anything approaching 80kms real world most days. I couldn't ever see myself charging on long drives though which I suppose is a drawback.

Nothing perfect, eh!

But personally, I'm happy with ev. The biggest advantage for me is no engine or gearbox to worry about to be honest

• Advertisement

I think someone who finds the organisation of charging a large battery once or twice a week isn't going to be bothered charging a very small battery every night or every other night. Really the stats back that up. Whatever the % that will jump to EVs. It's a tiny % will regularly charge phevs. They end up being driven on ICE almost all the time.

I used to think if you actually spend all week doing local journeys and then the occasional long journey, or regular long journeys then a phev makes sense. I'm not so sure now. Seems to be very few who actually do that. The theory is great. Just isn't backed up in real world use.

Advertisement