Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Of Kerry

Options
  • 28-05-2024 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi,I skipped the Ring Of Beara cycle due to the weather conditions and was pondering entering the Ring Of Kerry on July 6th. Anyone done both and what are the comparisons? I know Kerry is busier.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭The Davestator

The ROK is a lovely spin with the right weather. Pretty straightforward with just a few climbs but nothing too steep. Lots of places to stop and a nice finishing area for a post event refreshment.

the issue is the cost of the event and the cost / availability of accommodation - they milked the golden goose too much and alienated a lot of cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Fiftyplus

Yes, could be costly alright. I live about an hour from Kenmare so going to start and finish there. Again it's the weather!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Booked in for the ROK this July 6th. I'm relatively new to cycling so just did a few 70/80km cycles around SallyGap plus a few short 35km spins up to the top of Dublin mountains.

Anybody know how difficult the ROK is for those that are relatively new to the sport? I can just imagine that I'll be absolutely shattered by the time I get to the finish line.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 tbo1

The RoK is a lovely day out. I did Beara 140km a couple of weeks ago and that is harder IMO. There are all levels of ability on RoK and it’s one of the more relaxed cycles where stopping for ice cream or whatever you fancy along the way is part of the day. It’s definitely not a race!

I’ve done it a few times and the first time I did it I was relatively new to cycling too. While it’s long it’s not overly hilly (Coomakista and Molls Gap) are the two main climbs but they’re drags more than anything) so just make sure you have some distance in your legs beforehand.

I would say pace yourself especially at the start when it’s easy to get caught up in the crowds. Take it at your own pace, try to sit in with a group but trail back/overtake as you need to - don’t try to keep in with a group that’s going too fast, you’ll find another one. Don’t forget to eat and drink water along the way especially at the Kenmare stop, you’ll have about 150km in your legs by then and Molls Gap is next - so do have something to eat at that food stop.

Don’t forget to look up and enjoy the scenery - if the weather is nice it’s a real treat in parts.

Enjoy your day!

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭gn3dr

I've signed up for it too this year and am raIsing funds in aid of St. Francis special school in Beaufort down here. The cost of entry is high alright but the ROK is more charity focused that the other sportives which to be fair are business ventures really. ( Which is fair enough). I don't begrudge the entry costs for that reason whereas I am questioning the vfm for the likes of Beara and Dingle etc. especially now when there is an extra charge for photos.

I don't think I have done the ROK since some time back in the late eighties or early '90's 🤪 so should bring back memories although I bet the hills have got steeper.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement