Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uncut Gems? (probably will discuss the ending)

Options
  • 25-05-2024 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭

This film got "rave reviews".

It was one difficult flick to sit through, mainly cause of that insufferable "New York City" attitude laid on hard the entire way through.

As someone who has absolutely no interest in conventional gambling (though ironically a strong interest in the concept of "luck" or luck being a skill that can be developed), is that what the life of a degenerate gambler is like?

I also find it difficult to believe there's a culture that invests so much in jewelry.

I got to say I buy everything off aliexpress and as far as aesthetics goes, have never been able to distinguish between China made, and overpriced jewelry store crap.

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Gary_dunne

Phenomenal film, felt like I was holding my breath from start to finish. The pacing of it was incredible. Sandler's best work in forever and just shows the type of range he has when he's bothered.

Never been a serious gambler but from what I've read in Tony 10, a fantastic read about the postman who stole 1.5mil from the Post Office and gambled it all on Paddy Power it does seem very true to life. That book was also very intense and you sway from feeling sorrow, anger and pure frustration towards him. I'd highly recommend it to anyone.

You say you're not a gambler yet buy from Aliexpress, everything on that site is a gamble and clear difference in quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Incredible film, such a tense and anxious watch. One of my favourites in the last 10 years.

Your talking big money here he owes and gambles, the kind of money someone will kill you for. Safdie brothers totally nail the chaotic lifestyle that Sandler's character leads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Is that reflection of reality?

It does feel very "New York City" in that it's non-stop go-go-go, with that overpowering quirky attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

It was almost surprising to see Sandler pull off such an unusual roll (for him), so well.

It's almost hard to imagine another actor that could have done it as well.

I'm used to seeing that overblown alter-ego put to use in rolls like Little Nicky or The Water Boy.

Again the pace to me is like an embodiment of New York City……… non-stop go-go-go, and it's all about connections and status.

Kind of makes me hate it.

And yes Aliexpress is a gamble but the odds are heavily stacked in the players favour, and buyer-protection is the fail-safe.

I've hit it big so many times on that site, love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

I hated the ending, but loved the film. Literally everyone is out for themselves and it revels in it.

Sandler made a film for adults for once.

As an aside, usually Jewish actors try to look as "white" or western as possible and/or try to always show Jews in a good light. This film depicts African Jews working the mines, traditional goldsmith Jews greedily groping the goods, Jewish families encouraging nepotism...

Not a film he could make earlier in his career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,242 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I was very impressed with Sandler. I think it was great movie. Though I not really into the whole new Yawk thing, gambling etc. either. Not sure how you haven't heard about high end jewellery.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,715 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

For fans of it, I’d recommend the 1974 version of The Gambler, with James Caan. Similar (but a bit different) self destructive anxiety inducing energy. I’d guess it was a bit of a reference point for the Safdies.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Gary_dunne

Again the pace to me is like an embodiment of New York City……… non-stop go-go-go, and it's all about connections and status. Kind of makes me hate it.

That's the tone that they were going for, you're not meant to be sitting there enjoying it, you're meant to be drawn in and feel nervous, on edge and uncomfortable throughout and they achieved it perfectly.

It's cinema as it should be, you can still think it's a brilliant film even when you dislike the majority of the characters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The "Diamond District" is a real place, and the Safdi's used real people from the district to pad out the background characters (such as when Sandler walked around speaking to various dealers and merchants) to add more of a sense of texture & authenticity.

But yes, this wasn't a film one should feel a sense of "enjoyment" as such, but it successfully conveyed the dizzying, chaotic feeling of a compulsive gambler constantly trying to keep 20 plates spinning & his debts from spiralling out of control. The ending was abrupt but it was always coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

A great movie to demonstrate how editing, sound, framing etc can induce a particular feeling while watching. On top of a great performance by Adam Sandler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Iguarantee

I loved it, though it made me feel nervous for the guy while I watched it.

One of the best movies I’ve ever seen, not that I’d watch it again.

He should have received an Oscar for his acting, which goes to show how pointless the Oscars are, more of a political show than a recognition of talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,715 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I first saw it as a late night double feature with The Lighthouse… felt all sorts of weird leaving the theater after ~4 hours of that pairing 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 19,748 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

The Safdies have captured two different but equally real and gritty sides of New York in Good Time and Uncut Gems. A lot of the authenticity comes from casting locals as extras, I believe one or both of the "hired goons" sent after Sandler aren't really actors either.

There's some really great performances in this; the obvious from Sandler but also Kevin Garnett as an athlete, Idina Menzel in a non-musical, and Julia Fox in basically the only movie she's ever done.

Advertisement