Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Comerman

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kentu

He played against Offaly in league also,

Has made no other appearance from the bench as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

Did Conor Fogarty not start off as a corner back with Kilkenny before being moved to midfield against Galway in a replay in Tullamore in 2014?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jamesbond2022

Think it was second day against Dublin in 2013 he played corner back or maybe the first day not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Spot on….. he was never comfortable at corner back though. Got a bit of a run around off Dotsy against the Dubs in O’Moore park. 2013

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭conor05

I can’t see him staying on the panel much longer with so little game time, Conor will be 28 this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Marrooned

we seem to be getting a lot of bad press over the U20 final and an online petition to set up a change of venue where would they move it to Limerick.they mightn’t sell much more anywhere else. A sell out always creates more interest when tickets can’t be got if they became available people mightn’t bother going. And about the pitch we played Salthill after an Ed Sheeran concert and it was shocking.Keith Rossitors comments didn’t help,it certainly didn’t favour one team over the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Your not getting the bad press, the bad press is over Ticketmaster once again and Tipp distributing tickets through clubs and Offaly didn't and let it be a free for all. Duignan is claiming they were advised to do so by Croke Park as its allocated seating so clubs couldn't be certain families etc. would be seating together, what's happening is alot of people from Offaly who never go to games are wanting to go to this so regular match go'ers are fearful they'll miss out on tickets. Keith Rossiter never used it as an excuse, to say the state of the pitch towards the Loughlins end was very bad was a fair comment and it was obvious just by the eye test weather he said it or not, it was probably more noticeable as the pitch is usually like a carpet, it's been fairly well acknowledged Salthill was in poor knick too on the day you mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Box to box

I'd say ya had the wexford flag out the window last Sunday and ya got fierce giddy when cian Byrne got the goal.Ya do a lot of spronging about John Walsh but I'd say you have connections in the boro because you do be rambling on about a few of them aswell except for buckley.Hopefully ya won't give another summer talking about John walsh because its getting boring now at this stage and id say even john would be embarrassed at this stage.To be fair to ya,you are always consistent on a couple of things and apart from the bit of dripple you try to say the most consistent thing about you is you are nearly always the first lad here when kk are bet and that is always a given.You were here in January chirping when wexford won a Mickley mouse Walsh cup and thats what it was. I was there that wet Saturday in Callan but not a word ever from you after a good performance or last weekend or any kind of a win. We all agree kk have huge standards and thats what we want and we don't hang our hats on beating wexford or winning leister finals. If we don't win the all ireland it's a failure.Moral victories or the 2nd best team in the country isn't what we expect. We are a long time now without winning a all ireland and it's not good enough we all accept that,but everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'm first to criticise systems,decisions and performances in kk when we lose or don't play well but I also acknowledge a good performance or a player who might be improving because some players can improve. The only time u come out is when kk are bet. The wexford flag is gone back into the hotpress and the Dublin one is out now. You will be hoping they will run the legs off kk In the wide open spaces you will have a field day that weekend if that happens. Its petty the way you go on,support your county instead of waiting and hoping they are bet to tear onto here and cut the back out of the same lads over and over.im not saying don't give opinion or be critical but it's the same bull scutter over and over from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Wing Back

I think you are completely deflecting and playing down the issue. I posted on this already. We are getting plenty of bad press on this from what I see.....and it's fully deserved. The playing surface is an embarrassment.

There is a ticket issue, which on the face of it, has taken some attention off of our own misgivings.

We pushed to commemorate and mark the anniversary. I think it shows we don't really give 2 F***s about commemoratation presenting a pitch in that state for an All Ireland FFinal.if we want to honour his memory, it should be like a carpet, like you said. Scheduling a concert, and then ploughing it up again, knowing full well we lobbied hard for this final......it shows where our priorities lie.

Players deserve pristine surface on their biggest day of the year. Its shameful. I'm not surprised to see calls for it to be changed.....and to save us some embarrassment, I'd be very happy if it was.

If Kilkenny were asked to hurl on a cabbage patch condition pitch for a final, we'd be up in arms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Awww the poor precious players!
    The ball is in the air for 90% of a game , so whats the big deal?
    Its not soccer or tennis…. So the pitch is a bit rough, its not ideal , play on lads, Yee have played on worse!!

People just need to be heard moaning ..
    And shur its a good excuse for whoever loses ? 🙄

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Well I think you are completely overplaying this one personally. 90% of the pitch was immaculate last Sunday. Yes we could all see there was one patch in bad state but it didn't impact on the game and both teams coped fine with it. By this weekend coming I expect it to be improved. Calling it a cabbage patch is just dramatic nonsense.

We already heard Adam Screeney after the Leinster final talking about how it would be a privilege to play in Nowlan Park. They will all be up for this and not one of them will be complaining about the state of the pitch.

Very little pride taken in our home ground around here I see.

Attention to detail got us to the top in hurling under Brian Cody, with nothing but the best expected from all stakeholders.

I see our standards have slipped considerably.

Very disappointed with that attitude…..Won't be commenting on this issue any further.

Its a pitch …. It will recover. A needless distraction.

Its not as if theres holes or trenches across the pitch - it will be sorted by the weekend im sure…
    But lets all harp on about it as if it is a danger to players ……….

😣

• Registered Users Posts: 13 black and amber rock

My team for the leinster final would be:

Murphy

Butler Lawlor Walsh

Blanchfield Reid Carey

Deegan Kenny

Donnelly TJ Mullen

Mossy Ryan Cody

Subs:

Tallis

Delaney Corcanan

Murphy Buckley

Molloy Fogarty

Wally Phelan

Shine Wall

Like I said, I don't want to comment on it anymore. But you've coaxed it out of me

Final final Comment

I think the attitude taken is clear….standards are slipping in Kilkenny and the condition we intend to present our hallowed ground at a centenary commemoration All Ireland hurling final says a lot, and the fact that majority of Kilkenny supporters are not embarrassed is just one example of those standards slipping.

BTW: I never outlined there was a danger to the players. I just said they deserved the best on what will be the biggest day of their hurling careers for many I would imagine. Your attitude that they have hurled on worse speaks volumes for your attention to detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

While not as strong on the point as Wing Back I agree the Park is not in a fit state to hold an All Ireland final. Chin had a free near the end of the game on Sunday and spent a bit of time trying to find some grass to put the ball on. I'd imagine it's in fairly rag order this week and the weather so far this week wouldn't be helping it to recover. If it was a run of the mill round robin game it would be no big deal but for an All Ireland final the players deserve an immaculate pitch. And the argument that the ball is in the air 90% of the time doesn't wash. Right on the 21 yard line where the difference between a score and no score could be how quick a forward can snap a ball into their hand is critical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

The pitch issue is totally exaggerated. Free/lineball takers always look for the best spot. The second Wexford goal was worked through the "bad" area and was well taken. There was no obvious problem apparent on Sunday. Another excuse to have a go. Rossiter mentioned it but had nothing to say about his team's indiscipline. Jason Ryan's football tactics contributed to this indiscipline. Deflection tactic by Rossiter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Village87

Try tell that to Offaly supporters if it does not go well Saturday and their light forwards are slipping and sliding and fumbling on the broken up surface. I agree the pitch should be majestic for an All Ireland u20 final.

But then again i had a great night at Bruce and the county board made a few pound just unlucky that Bruce came available at the wrong time. Hopefully they can get it patched up in time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Ignore button is on for 3 posters. Could be one person.

Post edited by Grats on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

Interesting article in the IT today about how little unenforced changes Lyng has made since the AI in 2022. 12 of the team who started in 2022 started last Sunday. The exceptions were Padraig Walsh retired, Conor Browne travelling and Adrian Mullen not fully fit. These were replaced by David Blanchfield, Tom Phelan and John Donnelly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I'd have absolutely no reason to deflect for starters and regardless I said the pitch was in poor condition so if that's deflecting it's a poor effort. If you feel embarrassed by the state of the pitch that's your provocative. The point I was making was rightly or wrongly the ticket situation got more traction in national media than the condition of the pitch. If Nowlan Park was a 40k venue and pitch was in that condition there would have been no petition stirred up by the Offaly bandwagon, anyway looks like the concerns were slightly premature as there will be tickets returned from the allocation gone to clubs in Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭jimmythesulk

So 2 changes really as Mullen starts when fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Marrooned

How come the find of the year was moved to midfield against Dublin and then dropped for the Wexford game. Shane Murphy would be the first name down at wing back. We are into to June and we couldn’t pick 10 players in there right positions. Lyng is a very hard man to figure out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Lyng has been slow enough to try lads and the Killian Doyle thing was very strange one. Shane Murphy, Jordan Molloy and Owen Wall were probably the only players that got some decent game time.

As you say Shane Murphy was one of the finds of the league but probably a bit unlucky that he’s best suited to wing back where we have better options imo.

did similar happen with Blanchfield last year ?

Played well in the Lge, then disappeared?? (* i may be TOTALLY wrong …..* 😏 )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭kksaints

It's Drennan that happened with last year, started the first championship match, was taken off and rarely appeared after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jamesbond2022

I’d say your thinking of codys last year Blanchfield played all the league and maybe the 1st championship game it didn’t go well and I don’t think he was started after that he came on in that years all Ireland and made a difference looking back he should have started that day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Village87

Just because 3 people are in disagreement with you it has to be duplicate accounts, there is someone who values there own opinion. No comment from you on the u20 and complete fiasco Mark Dowling was conducting either after you defended him to last after the 2023 defeat also.

Post edited by Village87 on

Advertisement