Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help please, apple tree disease

Options
  • 29-05-2024 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

hi, having a terrible time of it with my apple trees, all 6 of them were planted last year and all 6 losing all their leaves now and have been riddled with these weird spots.

Please see photo. What is this and what can i do to help save the trees?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,903 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Did you prune the tree thoroughly last winter , especially areas that may have shown signs of disease?
    It’s possibly apple scab but people more knowledgable to me may confirm otherwise- pruning back infected areas will help prevent the spread,

How is the base of the tree? Is it kept clear of dead leaves and debris?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭DRedSky

thanks, yes base of trees are clear.

Tbh I didn’t notice any issue until recently. They’re all young trees of different varieties all just planted last year.

All 6 are showing same symptoms

Sounds like either they were all purchased with the same disease or else, might be a soil issue - it was a very wet winter which could have added to things but with leaves falling off now as well on all 6, which are a range of varieties- that’s strange -for me it either points to a soil condition as the issue or that you purchased all 6 with that condition - maybe wait for someone else to appear here to provide their view but I’d go back to the center you purchased from with photos - don’t tell them you purchased there until after they give their view- they might just walk into admitting that they were a bad batch - but considering all 6 and different varieties it’s also possibly a soil issue

thanks, more pics here. Even the little “baby” apples have holes in them all too.

Gutted. :(

considering the early deterioration it does point towards apple scab- as opposed to brown rot which may be caused by wet winters and also birds damaging the fruit but it’s a bit too early for that - cut back infected areas and dispose of carefully - maybe consider a soil test or add chicken manure (readily available in garden shops) to see if it helps improve leave quality over summer

How to identify apple scab

Spots that are black or brown in colour develop on the leaves and fruits, from spring onwards. Affected leaves may fall early. On fruit, the spots may join up to form lesions which can split, allowing entry to other infections.
    https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/apple-tree-diseases/

• Advertisement

well oscar madison, i’ll be honest here and say I privately doubted your verdict yesterday and had been googling tonnes of pics of apple diseases and was thinking it was probably something called frogeye leafspot.

But….. i took cuttings and brought them to 2 garden centres and was told by both that it is indeed scab.

You were right!

Thanks again for taking the time to help and for what turned out to be the correct diagnosis.

Advertisement