Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2024 - Friday, June 7th

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Her whole party concept is madness to begin with. "I found the Green Party to be insufficiently ideological and into woke politics so I decided to start my own party" seems to be one way of summing it up.

All the best to them but I can't see them getting places if the "moderate" Greens are under pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭StormForce13

Nutty though she is, I'd far prefer to see her being elected MEP ahead of Putin's man from Wellingtonbridge!

Post edited by StormForce13 on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It's just this comic writ large. Mission creep and the kind of global activism that seems to increasingly infest social/progressive/environmental movements is the quickest route to ineffectiveness. The Greens have done a surprisingly good job of remaining focused on their core goal - that is all a smaller party can ever legitimately accomplish. Those who demand all or nothing simply accomplish nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Or maybe Lisa was just Micheal's golden girl, he seemed to be pushing her forward for everything.

Not sure that applies so much since this flub though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Another debate on Drivetime tomorrow for MNW.
    Be very interesting to see who is on this panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

I wonder how much Patrick Murphy paid for this ad on X? At least showed as an Ad in my feed!

Edit: - He probably availed of this offer?

Get a $500 ad credit on us when you spend your first $250 on X Ads in 2024 (T&Cs apply). Launch your campaign today

Post edited by corkie on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,719 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

• Registered Users Posts: 12,071 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Looking at Midlands a lot of interesting subplots obviously.

The one for me right now who is the stronger FG candidate Walsh or Carberry?

The FG polling numbers are solid right now so one of them should get in, for me think maybe Walsh?

Down South I think Wallace is very much up against it, assuming Kelleher, Kelly and Funchion are safe then only 2 spots left between him, Mc Namara, Grace O Sullivan, the SD candidate , the 2nd FF and FG candidates and erm the fantastically named Eddie Punch. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

She's on the right track, in fairness, and public bodies have legal obligations to ensure that their communications are accessible for people with disabilities. I'd have done it a bit differently though.

In the first instance, I'd have gone for a stenographer providing live captions rather that ISL. That would support a much wider audience, including Deaf people, non-native language speakers, people who forgot their earphones AND would provide a record of the meeting for posterity.

Also, while I'm not a fan of outsourcing in general, this is a situation where it makes sense to use an outsourced service, probably remotely, rather than employ an individual to cover one meeting per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Almost nobody watches council meeting live. Council meetings are minuted and these minutes are made available to the public so one would think any deaf people would simply consult the minutes, like most people do.

Bogue is pushing solutions in search of problems - I doubt if even 1 deaf person was consulted before she went made that suggestion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,719 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

She's also constantly having pops at the green party on twitter. Which makes no sense to me, if she wants to get elected then surely she'll need transfers from green voters. But as somebody else has said, she's obviously gone down the route of being unwilling to compromise on anything. Similar to other far left groups who have no interest in compromising or governing and just want to shout from the sidelines.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as they say, the right look for converts and the left look for traitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The Irish far-right is going that way now too. Ridiculous number of parties, all with more or less the same policies.

Just listened to the debate.

I thought Sarah McInerney host well - FAR better than Katie Hannon.

I was going to give Mullooley a vote, but after his ‘performance’ this evening, that’s a non-starter IMO.

Casey has totally lost the plot.

McHugh is totally out of her depth.

Of the others, the only one ( for me ) who held their own was Flanagan.

At times I thought I was listening to a GE debate ( I use that word with caution).

I was going to give Mullooley a vote, but after his ‘performance’ this evening, that’s a non-starter IMO.

Casey has totally lost the plot.

Well that's presuming he ever possessed it to any degree in the first place…

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭topdecko

Casey was comically bad. How could one go on national airwaves and be so inept is beyond me. hilarious if it wasn't real.

Ming Flanagan miles ahead of any of the rest of them.

The thing is the cohort he is pitching to won't care about that or will actively hail it as showing he hasn't been corrupted by the system….

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Good loser

4 on the Tonight Show including Ming. Fairly civilised The 4 were questioned individually at the start for 4 minutes or so each, Ming being the last. Not a sound from him while the first three were gone through' Then his turn and after, say, 2 mins Maria Walsh interjected. She stops when he says I did not interrupt anyone so don't interrupt me. When he finished the debate was opened to a discussion amongst the 4 on various topics nominated by Brock.

For that segment of the show (say the last 3/4rs) Ming continuously interjected and interrupted everybody, talking over them as they contributed.

IMO Maria Walsh was by far the best of the four. She's very intelligent, respectful of the others including the chair, and seems from her contributions to various EU committees have been a thoughtful, serious. hard working MEP. A credit to our country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Maria Walsh is an absolute self righteous tool and is in serious danger of losing her seat, to potentially Nina/Toibin. Bit of luck anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Walsh is the lead FG candidate for me. Carberry isn't getting much visibility from my perspective. I don't know why Walsh continually repeats that she was in the army. Does anyone care? Her posters are very commonplace around Galway and they are quite striking.

I agree Ming acts like a bully in these debates. but his seat is safe.

Peter Casey waffling about an app he will use to let his constituents decide his vote on EU matters. Farscical stuff. They are making a mockery of him now.

I was very very curious about Mullooly when he announced his participation but he has been disappointing and something doesn't add up for me - not sure what it is but I have tiny alarm bells ringing.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

There is a reasonably high probability that Walsh will not be re-elected. I can't imagine she is overly happy with Nina being added to the ticket, and not a hope FG will get both elected (chance neither will be elected of course)

On Mulooly, according to the bookies, he is all but home and hosed. Of course things can change in that regards, and also, i'd agree with you, in that i'm not too sure what he brings to the party. Seems like a decent enough skin though

That's why alarm bells are ringing on Mullooly, I thought he was a decent skin but not so sure anymore. Can't put my finger on it but I am usually a good judge of character.

That he worked for RTE is enough in itself to set alarm bells off. But i'll take your word about your judgement of character ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,553 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Did Casey really say that?! Does he think he is on love island ffs...

For the record, I think you're really sound 🙂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's a great idea! policy by social media.

Yes he did. An app. The people will have a say on all matters if he is elected. They asked whether it would just be his supporters or all constituents. I think he said all.

how will he stop non-constituents from signing up?

(that's not a question i expect has an answer)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Looking at Dublin, Paddy Power currently has the odds at:

• Lynn Boylan (Sinn Fein) 1/12
    • Barry Andrews (Fianna Fail) 1/5
    • Regina Doherty (Fine Gael) 3/10
    • Niall Boylan (Independent Ireland) 3/10
    • Ciaran Cuffe (Green Party) 4/6
    • Clare Daly (Inds. 4 Change) 5/4
    • Aodhan O'Riordan (Labour Party) 9/4
    • Sinead Gibney (Social Democrats) 15/2
    • Malachy Steenson (Independent) 10/1
    • Philip Dwyer (Ireland First) 10/1
    • Brid Smith (PBP - Solidarity) 10/1
    • Aisling Considine (Aontú) 50/1
    • Daithi Doolan (Sinn Fein) 50/1
    • Patrick Quinlan (National Party) 100/1
    • Diarmaid O'Conorain (Irish Freedom) 100/1
    • Andy Heasman (The Irish People) 100/1
    • Robin Cafolla (An Rabharta Glas) 150/1

Am I right in thinking the best strategic vote to stop Clare Daly embarrassing the nation in Europe is to give a number 1 to Ciaran Cuffe?

Advertisement