Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I agree. I suspect Razzmatazz will quietly shuffle his deck. No harm in given Casey/Bealham/Ahern the reins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Murray and Healy should not be included on the tour. I would look at Loughman and Casey. I'd go as far as to start both of them in one of the tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Downlinz

POM is still a huge leadership presence for Munster, he's still the guy everyone looks to for on field decisions and is apparently still the most vocal voice behind the scenes. His performances this season have been more understated but I never felt as if he was playing poorly, certainly for Munster I wouldn't dream of playing a knockout game with Ahern ahead of him who's still learning at this level.

We have to move on from POM at some stage but think he'd leave a big leadership void at present. The hope was probably for Doris to advance his claim as a leader and captain but that aspect seemed to be heavily criticised by BOD this week so it would appear he's not yet ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭50HX

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

This stuff is just entirely in your head. It has already been highlighted that Ireland capped more new players in the last RWC cycle than SA but then the goalposts instantly shifted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭nerd69

Not sure that proves anything on its own timoney gettin motm vs fiji and then getting thrown down a well looks great but aint it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Last time we played Fiji, three players made their debuts, JOB and Deegan got their second caps, Timoney got his third, even Baloucoune got a start and there were plenty more fringe guys involved

Nothing breeds resentment like success

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭nerd69

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Does anyone have a list of the current first choice 23 (or some permutation of it) and the teams they made their debuts against?

I'm wondering did many come through gradually against the US, Fiji, Samoa or moreso 6N games and summer tours.

Edit: might as not be lazy and do it myself.

Porter - USA

Sheehan - Japan

Furlong - Wales (WC warm up)

Beirne - Australia summer tour

Ryan - USA / McCarthy Australia AI

POM - Italy 6N

VDF - England 6N

Doris - Scotland 6N

JGP - Italy 6N

Crowley - Fiji

Lowe - Wales COVID Cup

Aki - South Africa AI

Ringrose - Canada / Henshaw - USA

Hansen - Wales 6N

Keenan - Italy 6N

Post edited by pickarooney on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,209 ✭✭✭✭phog

No, it can be dislike or Hate or Despise.

Group think or be accused of hating the national coach and team. Sad really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

List of internationals, with their debuts is here if someone fancied putting it together:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ireland_national_rugby_union_players

EDIT: just threw the 15 together, I think it's right:

Player

Debut

Tournament

Porter

USA

Summer

Sheehan

Japan

AI

Furlong

Wales

RWC Warm-UP

McCarthy

Australia

AI

Beirne

Australia

Summer

POM

Italy

6N

VDF

England

6N

Doris

Scotland

6N

JGP

Italy

ANC

Crowley

Fiji

AI

Lowe

Wales

ANC

Aki

South Africa

AI

Henshaw

USA

Summer

Hansen

Wales

6N

Keenan

Italy

ANC

• Registered Users Posts: 24,209 ✭✭✭✭phog

This post, before the edit reminded me of PJ Mara's “Uno duce, una voce”

Mod: warned

Post edited by Podge_irl on

MOD: I have no idea what on earth this is, but cut it out.

There is an awful lot of childish nonsense going on here lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Is there any indication where Ireland will tour in summer 2025 during the Lions tour? Some Tests against Argentina, Fiji or Japan would would be a good challenge for an Irish side probably missing nearly all of their first XV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Yeah those would make for a good challenge. You could do a tour of the islands and play Samoa, Tonga and Fiji.

If they go to Argentina I'd like to see someone like Chile or Uruguay get a game too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Jimmy O'Brien has returned at just the right time for Ireland. He's one of Leinster's best performers in recent weeks and the ideal replacement for Keenan. He's probably faster than the latter as well so that gives a boost to our backline which isn't the quickest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,633 ✭✭✭clsmooth

He’s looked electric since coming back. I don’t recall him being that fast before his injury. Always had him in the footballer mould aka Hansen with decent pace but great to see he’s able to hammer the gas down.

Great opportunity for him to put his hand up for the 15 jersey with Keenan out of the tour and Hansen looking like he’s struggling to get back to 100%. No need to rush him back for a 2 game summer tour although I’m sure he’ll want to get back playing so the season isn’t a complete write off for him.

JOB seems to have gotten faster. He's gassing defenders on the outside which we don't always see from Irish back three players.

Keenan is the best full back in the world. He's at least an 8/10 in every attribute you want from a 15. In terms of replacements, I think JOB is about the closest we can get to replicating what Keenan brings. Solid passing and kicking game, decent in the air and has speed to take on defenders. We'll lose a bit in line running ability and in defensive reads, but those are what sets Keenan apart from every other 15 in the world.

Post edited by Clegg on

Some downright stupid comments from Damian de Allende to Rugbypass about SA's rivalry with Ireland. I dunno if they're doing this stuff to pump up the summer tour series, or what it is, but find some of his comments bizarre.

Talks about how Andy Farrell is English, so doesn't understand Irish history, and that impacts his ability to connect with the players.

He must have lived under a rock in his time in Ireland, because he also says he thinks Irish people aren't emotional and that impacts them in big moments.

He dramatically overplays the "hardship" angle the SA squad supposedly have too - unquestionably a couple of guys like Makazole Mapimpi the prime example came from nothing and are incredibly admirable, but huge swathes of them are Boer farmers who grew up with anyone's definition of privilege.

It's clear the media reaction after we beat them comfortably in 2017 still rankles them to a huge degree, and he obviously does have respect for some of the Irish players and aspects of our play, but some of his comments just show him to be incredibly uninformed IMO.

Jim Hamilton talks a lot of hypocritical shite too - constantly highlighting guys like James Lowe etc as not being Irish. He's an Englishman who played for Scotland, a team stuffed to the brim with imports.

The gushing praise in general for the Saffers and what they've achieved completely loses sight of how incredibly fortunate they've been along that journey:

In 2019, they lost their only meaningful pool game against NZ. They emerged from a group containing Italy, Namibia and Canada. Their path then to win the RWC saw them get past Japan, Wales (barely) and a spent English team.

In 2023 they lost their only meaningful pool game against us, and then robbed France in the QF with the benefit of an egregiously wrong late penalty (Kwagga Smith's midfield turnover), limped past a poor England side in the semis and then limped over the line 12-11 in the final against a NZ team who played 3/4 of the game with 14 men or less.

Obviously finals and tournaments are for winning, and history just remembers the victors, but the 2015 All Blacks they very much ain't.

• Advertisement

They're also fairly consistently underwhelming outside of those two tournaments. They threw a mad hissy fit about the World Rugby team of the year having so few saffers.

I absolutely can't stand them as a team. This faux outrage bullshit clearly works for them to some degree but it makes them look like children.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Yeah, I think exactly the same, by far and away my most disliked team in world rugby (apart from England). Always had a soft spot growing up for the All Blacks, and always felt the exact opposite about the South Africans.

The game he mentions, from 2017, where we beat them 38-3 in the Aviva, and he says he felt disrespected by the Irish media afterwards for example, was an absolute and utter humiliation for them. It basically got Alister Coetzee sacked, and while they had some rotation that day, they still had a lot of quality on the field too including De Allende, Malcolm Marx, Tendai Mtawarira, Eben Etzebeth, Lood de Jager, Siya Kolisi, PSDT, Bongi, Kitshoff, Pollard, Mostert etc.

Slating that team for getting hammered like that is absolutely fair game, and I imagine they took enormous grief from their own press for the exact same performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Seems to be obvious that SA are fearful of Ireland and want to play it out in the media before we get to the games.

Rassie was up to all sorts before and during the Lions and we seem to be getting the same now, losing the series at home is something SA don't want so expect a lot of this sh*t to come out over the next few weeks

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

"He must have lived under a rock in his time in Ireland, because he also says he thinks Irish people aren't emotional and that impacts them in big moments."

'Posh robots' as the Molecast described them.

It's standard fare from South Africa at this stage. Erasmus whips his players up to a frenzy and he generally gets the desired response on the pitch.

I prefer that the players are leading the media approach and only targeting the Irish media/player attitude in Etzebeth's case.

Erasmus attacking referees through the media a few years ago remains a low point in rugby's recent history. Wayne Barnes received death threats from South African fans after Erasmus lashed out at him. He really should have resulted in a much longer ban.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Shehal

F**k me we live so deep in South Africa's head at this point its not even funny 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Shehal

It does have to be said back in 2017 that SA sides wasnt THAT great. It looks amazing now ofcourse but it does need to be remembered alot of the players in that side didnt reach the levels we think of them now until Erasmus took over. I remember back then at the time I honestly would have only taken Marx & Etzebeth in an Irish XV and at that time it wasnt even a wild statement to make when you consider how SA had been playing, obviously ask that same question 2 years later and you'd get a very different response if I picked a combined side.

The SA side in 2017 really was rubbish and deserves all the criticism that was levelled at them. They lost 57-0 to New Zealand two months prior Ireland thrashing them 38-3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I'd say this for the SA players though - There is generally no BS with them on the field. They seem like straight up great competitors.

I also cant stand seeing them win, but only for one reason. Erasmus.

I don't recall any of the Springbok players talking nonsense about Ireland before.

• Advertisement
Advertisement