Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I think the Netherlands will either prove or disprove your thesis. I remember one poster, years ago, extolling the virtues of FPTP government in that it "got things done" but all we've had for years here is the same paralysis you'd expect from a coalition government squabbling with itself.

Then again, it's hard to think of a better country for shutting down change, even from a conservative government, than the UK. We've limited the economy to Oxford, Cambridge and London and even boosting that would take two decades just to overcome local resistance, planning and other nonsense. Heck, it took two decades to cancel HS2. I say "cancel" because the part that gave it meaning has been removed even though the project is technically still going.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

You're definitely wrong. I'm currently in dispute with SNCF over a journey bought on their website as a single journery to a non-French destination, with one change of train (still in France). The first train was operated by their low-cost brand OuiGo, and cancelled on the eve of my journey. Despite EU rules being very clear that such an event entitles the passenger to an immediate offer of an alternative journey to the same final destination, SNCF has said "not our problem - that's a OuiGo ticket, take it up with them, they're a separate business".

Don't assume the presence of competing services on the same booking platform to mean all the relevant operators are intimately wedded to each other.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That paints a pretty terrible picture for the Tories all right.

It would be interesting to see voting intent and demographic mix overlaid on that.

The Under 40's are strongly in favour of Labour but what % of likely voters are they I wonder , knowing that the older cohorts tend to vote in larger numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,532 ✭✭✭✭L1011

In both cases they'd already moved to a single award franchise rather than the English mess.

Nowhere else in Europe has anything close to as bad a structure as the English / long distance TOCs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

all we've had for years here is the same paralysis you'd expect from a coalition government squabbling with itself.

This is why I think FPTP is ultimately doomed. It's taken until now for the Tories to suffer the same kind of internal squabbling that's plagued Labour for a couple of decades. If the various factions within either of the Big Two camps can no longer rely on their association with same to get themselves elected, then they can probably more effectively wield disproportionate influence by splintering off into a separate party and complaining about how unfair it is that they've attracted 5/10/15% of the vote yet no seat to show for it. All it'll need then is a bit of clever rabble-rousing, a few split-vote seat losses to prove the point, and it'll be something the Big Two have to address (c.f. non-binding EU referendum).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't think it matters as much as it normally does for a few reasons. The Tories have borked the NHS much more than anyone expects. Their enabling of dumping sewage in the water won't win them friends among rural and outdoorsy types.

They're on track to lose 51% of their 2019 voters according to the link I posted. The only question is how bad the damage will be.

I'll believe it when I see it. The same tensions are evident in the US but they still cling to their two-party system with a perverse degree of adoration. The system destroys splinter groups (Remember ChangeUK-TIG?) so they won't be wielding influence. The only way I see this changing is with a repeat of 2011 with a coalition where the smaller party insists on a referendum to change the voting system.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Anyway, the Tories have sank just that little bit further with Liz Truss now collaborating with Carl "I wouldn't rape her" Bemjamin.

It's easy to just dismiss Truss as the moron who destroyed the economy in a few weeks. Fun too.

However, this is well off the deep end. It's an easy win for Sunak but I doubt he'll bother kicking her out.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 25,584 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Its mad but completely on form for her to be one of the MPs still running.

If nothing else, she's associated with abject failure and economic irresponsibility. Either she goes now or when the Tories become electable again. Her career in politics is essentially done.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Jesus FC. Wasn't aware of that. Scummiest of the scummiest. They need locking up a lot of them fcukers.

As for Truss. A bigger waste of space you couldnt wish to meet. Headbanger of the highest order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A key point here must be that Tory voters must surely be dying off. Goodness knows what their voting demographic will look like in 2029 or if the party will even still exist in its current form.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,152 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I think Liz Truss needs help. She can't be firing on all cylinders.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

i think Truss truly believes that she can be PM again. It's the only reason why she could be running again. She is DEMENTED

• Registered Users Posts: 4,884 ✭✭✭Shoog

She a symptom of the delusional thinking in the Tory party which has driven them progressively more rightward.

The drive to the right was a response to falling voter share and the need to shore up a core voter base - but many in the party didn't get the memo and thought it was popular in the general population. Hence we get Truss voted in by a few thousand senile old millionaires who think they own the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Jfc abbot showing herself up to be the absolute moron everyone suspected after that email draft nonsense. Earlier today she specifically told the BBC she had been banned from standing for labour and now that she's had the whip reinstated she's tweeting out complaining that people are speculating that she's been banned from standing for labour....

She claimed Mao did more good than harm once so this is no surprise.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Not if you consider she has, since resigning, surrounded herself with MAGA lunatics, populists and the general bucket of anti-mainstream conspiracy nuts. It's clear she has taken that soup and started believing that her incompetence was actually dark leftist plotting.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,584 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Shadowy figures like the "far left" Bank of England.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

This is the fundamental issue with discussions around "privatisation vs nationalisation" using the UK (or the US) as a benchmark. The UK just do it really, really badly. Just like British Rail was run badly. Hell several train companies are nationalised today and they still suck.

The problem is that Westminster doesn't give a crap about anything outside London. And even then the Tories managed to start undermining London transport in order to have a petty spat with the Mayor.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Zionist Shítlord (his own hilarious t shirt), paid Israeli lobbyist and Oxfordshire resident Luke Akehurst has been selected as Labour candidate for ultra safe Labour seat North Durham.

Parachuting to a whole new level. Super news I'm sure.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Starmer also selected this chap to represent Labour in the election and yet he is busy de-selecting anyone who dares to question the Israeli narrative

Starmin continues his purge. Faiza Shaheen in tears on Newsnight, only finding out a couple of hours ago that she's not going to contest her seat, and she's only vaguely to the Left of the party. Apsana Begum supposedly under threat, Russell-Moyle gone, the party machine charging them with things so late in the day they can't appeal and therefore have no way of standing. So I'm considerably less convinced than the centrist melts on twitter et al. who believed the party line when it comes to Abbott.

Starmer and his entourage / lobbyists are ruthless, they know they can get away with this kind of behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 68,532 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Further showing why FPTP is a disaster - a de-selection weeks before an election here would just create an Independent that'd either get in or ensure their replacement did not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Every time she opens her mouth she’s a liability

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

By his action on Diane Abbott & Faiza Shaheen it seems clear to me that Starmer is trying his best to show his racist credentials to the likes of those who voted brexit and/or tory in the Labour red wall heartlands at the last election. He knows the racist psyche of the English and is tapping into it to obtain power.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The deselection of Faiza Shaheen because she liked a few tweets about the subject of Islamophobia over the last ten years seems absolutely extraordinary. Sends out a terrible message to British Muslims too.

I hesitate to say this but there seems to be several full blown racists in the Labour leadership.

The Forde report might have thrown some light on the hierarchy of racism in the Labour Party but Forde felt they had ignored his report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

The most interesting part on Diane Abbott is that it seems now that Starmer wanted to humiliate her by telling her she was deselected by him even though he knew she had no intention of running again.

Action on Faiza Shaheen by Starmer was rumoured to be possible earlier today. Thoroughly stunned what has occurred to her. All over social media Starmer is being referred to as a racist and the tories are staying quiet in the background.

This man is nuts.

Advertisement