Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭El Vino

Frawley is the perfect bench player for a 6/2 split. If he starts you probably cannot go 6/2 as none of the other OH candidates cover much else, and please don't say Harry Byrne could cover center in a Champions Cup Final. Next season Leinster will have Jordie Barrett probably not a 10 but a great second playmaker, RG and a full preseason on Nienaber any one of these would probably swing the result your way.

Also no one in their right mind is calling for Kelleher to move, any team challenging for honours needs 2 top class hookers and even then with the attritional nature of the position it often isn't enough. 10 is different though, you need time in the position and Leinster have too many to get enough meaningful minutes. The mindset is still we will lose 2 to every Ireland camp like the Sexton years and that isn't going to be the case any more. At least one needs to move on and 2 provinces are woefully under resourced there it makes sense for it to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

I wouldnt have Harry for any money. He's too error prone. Ross is just Mr. Reliable..he makes few mistakes but he just doesn't have flair. I'd have Ben Healy before Harry any day. Leinster missed an opportunity to sign Owen Farrell (lights blue touch paper and stands well back)! Frawley deserves some time at 10.

While I'm at it, why hasn't Leo done the decent thing? The decision to kick to the corner cost Leinster again. Same as last year... and the year before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Whatever we do, let's not lose the run of ourselves after a final loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Using the same tactics and expecting a different result? Who's lost the run of themselves? I counted 5 occasions when Leinster kicked to the corner for zero return. A change at the top would seem to be required...though I acknowledge the brilliant work that Leo has done and would be quite happy to see him adopt a "Director of Rugby" position rather than walking the plank.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭johnh6767

But they haven’t used the same tactics, they totally changed their game plan compared to last year

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Youre right. I think this has been pointed out loads. There's a sense where everyone else is watching leinster and coming up with ways to counter them because there's a great chance they'll need to beat leinster. Where leinster doesn't know who they'll face so they can't sensibly plan for any individual team.

I fear leinster is fighting the last war by getting Snyman. They needed a huge second row to counter the likes of Skelton at Sarries and La Rochelle. But now leinster are pretty strong at second row with McCarthy and Ryan. Now leinster really needs a top tier 10, but the planning is a couple of years away for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

Probably doesn't mean anything for Leinster but the Melbourne Rebels are gone next season, meaning that Taniela Tupou is now free to sign anywhere he wants next season. I wonder will Leinster take another swing at trying to get him now that he will be available. I know the IRFU blocked the signing but I wonder would they potentially reconsider the signing now that he is free to sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,389 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

You can start Frawley at 10, keep Byrne on the bench, and move Frawley to 12/15/wing when a substitution is required

This is how Crowley works to cover Centre when he starts at 10

• Advertisement

The problem is they're not enthusiastic about starting Frawley. He's not as good in any position as the first choice. Whether it's 10, 12, 15 or wing, there's already a much better option (maybe not a much better option at 10, but Frawley hasn't been backed with a good run of games starting at 10)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Where leinster doesn't know who they'll face so they can't sensibly plan for any individual team.

Leinster have played La Rochelle 5 times in the last 4 seasons.

In the same time, Toulouse have either won it or been knocked out by Leinster. (You have to go back to 2017/18 to the last time they didn't, at least, make a semi-final).

I'm not sure this holds much water tbh.

I suppose you have a bit of a chicken and egg situation then. Frawley has potential, but he is getting on a bit now and if he's put into the utility back box and never given the chance to develop as a 10, he's never going to get the experience and the chance to prove himself as an out half.

To be a truly great 10, it takes years of consistent game time. Even the likes of Sexton and the new breed of first choice 10s like Ntamack were pretty ropey at the start but took time to develop into the seasoned pros that they became

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Now leinster really needs a top tier 10, but the planning is a couple of years away for that.

I don't think it's a planning thing. Even if we wanted to, and found a good candidate, it's highly unlikely Leinster would be allowed to sign a 10 when they have the second, third and fourth choice Ireland out-halves on the books already and a promising youngster who can't get any game time.

Nobody ever gets to choose their opponents in the knockouts of any major competition, so you need to develop a game plan that can get through the pool stages in one piece, but ultimately focus on how to get over the line against any of the rock paper shotgun strategies you might come against. Or you could just ride your luck, and hope that you get paired against a team that are weak against your strengths in the 3 knockout games in a row it takes to win a trophy

Winning competitions is incredibly hard, every coach is trying to do the same thing, anticipate what their opponents will do, and counter their strengths and exploit their weaknesses. Leinster have a big advantage, far more on field resources than any other team in any of the competitions they play in, more squad depth, more player management options, excellent coaching resources and a national side that trains and plays almost the same style as they do. Leinster also have more flexibility in how they can build their teams week to week, while other teams need to make these decisions a year in advance and hope that their key players are still fit and available when it comes to the business end of the season.

Ross has managed to get Leinster to the final two years in a row. In reality it wasn't because of Ross the team loss at the weekend and it wasn't his fault last year either. Is he not top tier? who would you buy to replace him?

Having Ryan/Big Joe/Snyman will allow them to compete with the top French teams who have massive players they just buy in for games like this.

If Ross had kicked to the corner more aggressively, or if they had taken those place kicks that were foregone, then Leinster would likely have won the game.

Ross isn't a terrible out half, but he did not have a good game last weekend

Leinster have a big advantage, far more on field resources than any other team in any of the competitions they play in, more squad depth,

Do Leinster have far more on field resources when you compare to Toulouse/La Rochelle etc? Toulouse team is a squad full of the best French players and players from all over Europe. They have far less restrictions on buying in players. They can buy in players from other academies(DuPont) and I don't see how anyone could say they have less money than Leinster?

Im not sure any of the above is any different for the top teams, I don't get the Leinster have more flexibility? that doesn't make sense to me and not sure what the point is. If a Toulouse has a serious injury with a player they can just go out an buy someone. Leinster in reality will have to look within the squad or academy to replace that player.

Saying a French club has less flexibility over Leinster and the IRFU model doesn't seem correct to me.

I don't think it's any great sleight to suggest Ross Byrne isn't a top tier 10 tho. In the same way, if Leinster had won, he wouldn't suddenly have become one either.

The decision to take or not take the kicks was a decision not made by Ross, that was a team and coaching decision. They took the kicks as well

Kick more aggressively? maybe.

So who would you sign to replace him?

• Advertisement

He very rarely plays 10 is my understanding and I don't think I have ever seen him player 10

He is been signed for centre/fullback/wing

With JOB out injured this season and now for a few seasons, Leinster have been light on options at wing

Jordie Barrett has started one game at 10 in the 167 games All Rugby track across the last 8 seasons. He's not a 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭johnh6767

It’s a captains decision and the kicks were not a sure 3 points by any stretch. He did well in many aspects of play but seems to get the over scrutiny associated with the 10 jersey as witnessed by this Board discussion around Frawley / Harry B / Sam P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Barrett is more likely to play wing than he is 10. I still don't know where he fits into the side, but it's most likely going to be at 12 or 15.

In other news, the fixtures for next season have been confirmed.

Leinsters first game at their new home is against Dragons.

He's been almost exclusively a 12 for the past two seasons, I think that's where he's at his best and expect that's where he'll play most of the time.

Looking at the past 5 years or so, accommodating everyone is unlikely to be an issue because we routinely have one of Henshaw, Ringrose, Osborne injured at any given time it seems.

Yeah and before that they played sarries and in each of those finals there was a weakness in theinster not having any huge second rows. Now they're pretty well stocked with the addition of McCarthy which is a significant step forward.

The had sexton as first choice and Byrne as cover. Now it's Byrne as forst choicen and frawley as cover. That's a significant step backwards.

In the meantime they have hoped Harry would come through as first choice but he hasn't. Frawley is a grand utility player but isn't first choice 10 either. So they bet on good options which haven't worked, fair enough. But I don't know if second row is the problem anymore. Hence I fear they're fighting the last war.

And Sarries before that won it, what, 3 times in 4 seasons? They absolutely would've been a known quantity then too.

I see where you're coming from with the rest of the post, but that's really more to do with squad make-up than not being able to plan for any specific team.

• Advertisement

Leinster's fixtures in South Africa are right after next seasons Six Nations. The tournament ends on the 15th of March and Leinster play the Bulls on the 22nd and the Sharks on the 29th.

So there's no chance you'll see any of the front liners taking part in those fixtures.

Advertisement