Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Student paramedic 2024

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭sudocremegg

Accomodation

Regarding accommodation a rough outline of where you will spend your time.

Your first 3 months will be in the college with 1 of these weeks as observer, typically 3 shifts and generally the 2nd or 3rd week of college before the actual heavy work starts.

After the initial 3 months block in the college you are going to out on 8 weeks placement in a suitable station. You will spend this 8 weeks on the ambulance, and in the hospital learning the ropes.

Then back to the college for I think 2-4 weeks (cant remember). After this you are out on your 12 week placements. 3 weeks of this will involve the driving course in Tallaght.

Then back to the college for a futher 3 weeks iirc.

So do not go renting or signing into 1 year contracts etc. The vast majority of students will live in hotels for the time in college. Some colleges have people nearby renting rooms but this is very much a who you know situation and is passed from paramedics to students they might know.

Also regarding some discussion regarding regions. While some regions have shortfalls, a lot of the traditionally struggling regions such as the South East are filling up very fast. Some stations are now nearly at capacity or over capacity. Don't expect to get your home station. Some people are stations 1.5 hours away form their home even in regions where there are shortfalls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14 emmaphelan01

hi sudocreme egg!

Thanks so much for this information it’s very useful. I was just wondering how long ago this you complete your training for the Student Paramedic?

Just looking for a guideline for how recent this information is?

Thanks!

3-4 years ago but I'm mentoring current paramedics so as far as I'm aware it hasn't changed much.

I just know people i trained with, and I still hear of new students making the mistake of thinking the first year is all in the college and going off looking for rentals.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Saltydog87

thanks pal but i am actually on stage one that is just submitted an application and hoping for an invite for aptitude tests .. wishing all progressing to a placement all the best hope to join you soon

oh at least we are all in the same position. I also applied to the EMC role and got feedback on that one late last week . Given that the deadline for that was just before the student paramedic one we can’t be too far off .

Think they are having some issues though as it said on the EMC response that they were hoping to do a typing test online but this was no longer possible so they had to revert with a date/time and venue for an in person test instead 🫠

• Registered Users Posts: 29 bJWXNIXWNXOW

I applied for the emt position aswell and just got feedback on that this morning and the closing date for that application was Monday the 13th two days before the paramedic campaign closed so any day I reckon

Student paramedic follow on emails out last night :) Looks like psychometric tests to be completed online with the testing window opening w/c June 10th and closing the Friday of that week. Apparently a very large volume of applicants which is why they changed the format from in person to online

Ya got that email also. Good luck with it. I'm finding the verbal reasoning tricky

• Registered Users Posts: 7 theone34

I got an invite for the aptitude awell. Do we need the provisional C licence done now if we pass the aptitude?

• Advertisement

I'm not 100% sure I think you go through the whole process as like normal and if successful you are deemed dormant until you inform them you have the provisional. That's my understanding I'm sure there's people on this with more knowledge in relation to this

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Scurvy

Hi, nope. I'm starting Ballinasloe Sept 2nd and I still don't have the full C only provisional. Test is soon

Are you from near Ballinasloe or did you need to sort out somewhere to stay? For me i would be choosing Ballinasloe or Tullamore but i live about 1hr 45min from both places.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Scurvy

Planning to travel. It's about 2 hours for me so no different than my current 12-16 hour days. Maybe airbnb some of it too. It's only 20 weeks so it isn't as bad as a whole year

• Registered Users Posts: 22 hope234

I’m just wondering , how long does it take from when the aptitude test closes to finding out the results ? And are interviews always held in Galway’s or could they also be online ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21 Happy Dragon

did you get a chance to do the practice questions , is there a way you can find out the results of the practice tests ?

I doubt you can get the results even though it would be nice. They are more for familiarisation so it won't be a shock on the day you do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Passerbye

You can search on YouTube Aon & the name of the test & there are two videos of inductive logical thinking that are very good & answers are in the comments . Check them out. Anyone doing the course on Saturday for preparation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 chrissie22

my interview was in a hotel just outside Athlone last year!

I think the results for the aptitute were out within a week! They post them so make sure they have your right address!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 chrissie22

For people doing the aptitute test if ye’ve not done it already, make sure if you have dyslexia or adhd that you tell them, I got extra time and a separate room!

Did anyone do the aptitude yet. I went into the link and done it, but it was the same as the practice tests i done last week? The topbox story and the letters and number in the squares.

I did it this morning. I didn’t manage to get all the top box questions done , think I only did half of them .

Best of luck with the results🤞. I

Also did mine this morning, maybe only got half of the verbal reasoning done but can't say my answers were right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 kilbeg3

Did anyone get an email recommendation to proceed today for Ballinasloe on Sept 2nd for response by tmrw at 12?

Seems to be a 2nd batch of offers out to some that may have responded yes to the first email and then heard nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Clarissa1a

Hi, just wondering if you got an email today advising of your results?

It said on the attachment we should find out today but I have not received anything :(

Hey I emailed them because I was wondering the same around 16:00, the response was they are working through the results and hopefully have them out before the end of the week

oh that’s a relief. I was worried I hadn’t submitted it correctly!

Thank you for the information 😃

o that’s great to hear, you are all in the same boat. I was wondering & checking my phone all day! Thanks for that.

• Advertisement

just got an email that I have to retake the assessment!!! Due to varying problems what sounds more like IT . Is this the same with ye lot?

yea I’m the same , must be an overall issue

Post edited by theone34 on

Just got my result and I passed. Best of luck on the retake and those that were unsuccessful keep applying.

Post edited by bJWXNIXWNXOW on

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Jimmy113

I’m the same. I need to retake the test.

Best of luck to those retaking the test

I got my results too and thankfully passed.

Sorry to those that didn’t and good luck to those that are re doing it. Atleast you know what to expect and will be more prepared 👍🏻😊

• Registered Users Posts: 27 chemicals404

Im needing to do a retest , how does one know if the proctor is watching this time ?

Do they show up on screen ?

Any help appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 9 boneill82

. ..

Post edited by boneill82 on

Just done the retest , feel less confident with verbal reasoinng this time around 🥲

• Advertisement

was it the same or different to the test we did?

Was the same as before. Top box ltd

Thought it was just me. I was more nervous this time around and feel less confident. Sure it’s done now. Best of luck to all who passed and who had to take it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DamoScb

Heya ppl.

I got my result of the aptitude test and i thankfully passed. Just wondering after the interview.

How it all works.

Im from dublin and Tallaght would be my only option as I've a young family.

Questions.

1. does each college run a course ever year.
    2. Would it be this September for tallaght
    3. If I'm offered say cork and i turned it down can I wait till tallaght comes back around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 boneill82

When do they want the driver print out from the ndls?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭kahmen

Wont be this September. As there's still a recruitment class be for you ((I'm on that panel eating to be cald up))

So this year was a strange one that only seme to be after running one calls but the year be for that ran 3 so no one relay now's what the plan is .

When the experience of intrst comes out you select the one you want and if you don't get it you go back on the panel for example I got a email for blanslow I didn't want that so I didn't respond I'm still on the panel.

Alsow just to say currently it's only talagah ,banslow, tullamore are the colaged. Cork is the university but form what I now you don't relay go down thare

N/a

For those of us that had to resit do we still have to submit supporting documentation even though we haven’t heard anything back yet?

• Advertisement

just took the retest & definitely more nervous & second guessing my answers.
    there was another email just sent out regarding supporting documents but there is no mention this time regarding the ndls. It’s on the email attachment that you got with the date of assessment. They tell you the documents they are looking for.

Advertisement