Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landing in Roscoff for a week- any suggestions? And/or links to resources would be greatly received.

Options
  • 29-05-2024 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Have bike, panniers, ferry ticket so any suggestions welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭EAD

Did this route last summer with D being the stones in Carnac. B is Carhaix-Plouguer where we stayed in a beautiful manor house on our first night as a treat (Manor de Kerladan). As far as C is mainly bikepath along old rail and canal pathways (rail was quiet but a little enclosed/boring)

Absolutely loved our trip - would go again in a flash. Pontivy (half way between C and D only place I wouldn't visit again). Château Neuf du Faou on our way home (H) was a lovely stop down by the canal (Au Pied Du Pont BnB).

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Budwards dad

Fantastic thanks. What was the timeline to that trip?
    did you book accomodation ahead or just take a chance?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ARX

I've cycled around there and I think I camped pretty much everywhere (it was a long time ago). There are loads of campsites in France and they're cheap - usually about a fiver. At one campsite the owner wouldn't take money ("cyclists stay for free", she said).

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Londonirish72

Use this website and look at the map of France.

https://cycle.travel/browse

I hope to do the full west coast next year but in the interim you might be able to make a trip out of Roscoff - Redon - St Malo then take the coastal route west back to Roscoff. No idea how long this is and yoo'd have to knit parts of these Velo Routes together but there's if you could try to incorporate some of these routes.

thanks a mill. I should have reached out to this place earlier. I haven’t left myself much time for research (gone on Saturday) so I’ll start making notes now.
    At least the weather is looking positive.
    What would an older reasonably fit person on a hybrid bike hope to achieve in a day (not pushing it - perhaps stopping for a glass of wine en route;-)

• Advertisement

We took it handy when we were there; 10 days as we wanted to stop lots and not just cycle by. Spent a couple of nights in Carnac and Concarneau in real holiday mode - could do it a lot quicker if you wanted/needed.

If on the green ways going tends to be pretty slow with the rolling resistance. We aimed for about 70km a day average as we wanted to explore where we were staying. Just a point - if you go via the green ways there can be decent gaps between coffee shops - never pass a gift horse if you see one!

I’ll heed that (coffee) advice, and add a jambon roll too.

I had thought Morlaix would have been my day 1 target until I saw your map with ‘B’ being much further on.

Only thing is that there's not a lot between Morlaix and Carhaix-Plouguer - Morlaix could be grand to get your bearings - we hit there on a Sunday morning when everything was closed. We also had our first night booked so had to just get there. From then we just booked on the fly as our journey unfolded.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Did Eurovelo 1 from Roscoff as far as Joselin last year, then turned for Carnac. 260k roughly. You really can't go wrong with Eurovelo 1 signposted pretty much straight off the boat and after Carhaix-Plouguer you hit the Brest-Nantes canal which is fantastic. I found an average of 70k-80k or so a day was pretty doable being someone who is not that fit. I basically took my time covering that distance over 5 hours or so each day. I'm not interested in speed. Took me 3 days to get to Joselin which is a lovely town so you could go that far and turn around. I airbnb'd it all the way and one lesson I learned was that a self-checkin/lockbox is the way to go to avoid any time pressures. Or just bring a tent and stop when you feel like it and stay in the cheap municipal campsites.

I'm off myself Saturday week for Cherbourg south to Angers then west to Carnac again and after a nice week there of sun, sea and wine back up to Roscoff to head home. Can't wait. Agree with the recommendation for cycle.travel although I might fork out for the Komoot maps as it has the navigation built in.

https://cycle.travel/map

https://www.komoot.com/

Here is my trip from Cherbourg to Carnac:-

https://cycle.travel/map/journey/506762

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ARX

Another thing to bear in mind is that in France, shops tend to be closed a lot. And it can be a long way to the nearest shop - hypermarkets really sucked the life out of small towns, so lots of small towns have a bakery and little else. It's easy to run out of food and water if you're not careful (of course, you can always call into a house and ask them to fill your bottles). A good rule is to never pass a bakery without stocking up.

Morlaix was always my first stop off the ferry back in the days with family holidays (still fondly remembered), but fair dues to the French in that they literally go dark on Sundays. I’ll bring a few sambos

duly noted

I pitched the tent in my back garden last night- just for practice (didn’t do that for 50 years) so I’m bringing one and will endeavour to stay at least one night in it to ‘keep it real’

Advertisement