Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student paramedic 2024

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 xr8aaaa

I'll leave this here for anyone who needs it

The first year is split roughly 50% in classroom in Ballinasloe (approx. 20 weeks) and 50% on placement in hospital or on an ambulance( approx. 22 weeks).

The second year onwards will be based in an ambulance station in one of the areas identified in the special conditions section of the expression of interest document.

During time in Ballinasloe hours are Mon – Fri, 9am – 5pm. During ambulance placements you will be in a station within 45km radius of your home. If this is not possible you will be placed as close to your home as is available.

Hope this answers your queries and helps your decision making process.

Regards,

Karl Kendellen

• Registered Users Posts: 3 yb24

I have a feeling they only lifted the embargo for these regions cos they are struggling so much, maybe I’m wrong but don’t think there will be any other offers for sept

• Registered Users Posts: 3 xpxo010

does anybody know is there any accomodation that is nearby for ballinasloe students or is it a case of renting rooms in houses?

am just trying to get an idea of the situation and there doesn’t seem to be much on offer from what i have seen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13 emmaphelan01

Hi everyone!
    I put forward my EOI this morning for Ballinasloe offer which will begin in September..

I received an EOI last September for Tullamore which I ended up not getting due to failing the Chester Step Test. I do not want this to happen again, therefore I was wondering if anyone had any tips to pass the Chester Step Test?

Last time I did it, I felt as though I could go on however my heart rate had got to a point where I was told we had to stop. I’m a 23 year old female, I don’t play any sports. I exercise regularly by walking and I do Pilates once a week. I have been told HIIT workouts would be beneficial but I wanted to see if anyone had any advice who has experience of passing the Chester Step Test. Thank you!

I hope you all receive/received an EOI this past week.

@xpxo010 I think it’s a case of renting rooms in houses. But someone correct me if I am wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 HannahSpanner

Hi Emma, fingers crossed for you this time - I also put myself forward but feel like my overall number including the panels ahead may sadly be too low.

For the step test I would be definitely adding some more intensity to your workouts to improve your cardiovascular fitness as that is what any of these fitness tests are really for. Walking and Pilates are both low impact, lower intensity workouts which won’t be challenging enough to significantly improve fitness. HIIT classes are probably too much and not necessary in this case, yes they push you to higher limits - but when you are starting with a lower base of cardio fitness I would start with adding in smaller intervals into your walks for example so it’s not so extreme (you can always add HIIT classes in later if you feel like you want to, but honestly they are a lot 🙈) . For example start your walk as normal and then add in short 1 minutes intervals of either power walking or slow jogging and then walk again for 1 minute and then go again at the higher intensity and keep alternating. Another good option is a cross trainer, low impact but uses the whole body so an easy way to increase the pace and again do little bits of higher intensity / faster mixed with lower intensity. When you get the higher heart rate followed by lower recovery and repeat it - that is where you will really see the fitness benefits :-)

Another thing to consider whilst doing the test itself, if you are feeling comfortable and they are trying to stop you, let them know that you feel comfortable and talk if you have to so demonstrating that you are still within a decent range - sometimes the ranges for heart rate can be different by quite a bit for each individual. The basic sum for calculating max heart rate is 220 minus your age (so in your case 220-23). The test will be then based on the percentage of that Maximum, BUT this calculation can often be wrong as each individual is so different so perceived exertion should also be used (perceived exertion is how YOU are feeling). So as an example when I am running flat out race pace for a 10k or half marathon I can keep my heart rate at an average of around 178/179. My running friend is the same pace as me, is running at the same flat out race pace and her heart rate is 164 - so our numbers are very different yet we are both perceiving our efforts as the same if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Scurvy

Offers are out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Saltydog87

Hey Guys,

Wondering has anybody heard anything back on the 2024 recruitment process yet? Closed over a week ago so was hoping to hear something early this week

expressions of interest were sent out last week and period closed yesterday. I received a recommendation to proceed earlier today.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bJWXNIXWNXOW

I'm in the same boat was hoping to hear something this week so I could book off work for the appitude. maybe in the next day or so hopefully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭sudocremegg

Accomodation

Regarding accommodation a rough outline of where you will spend your time.

Your first 3 months will be in the college with 1 of these weeks as observer, typically 3 shifts and generally the 2nd or 3rd week of college before the actual heavy work starts.

After the initial 3 months block in the college you are going to out on 8 weeks placement in a suitable station. You will spend this 8 weeks on the ambulance, and in the hospital learning the ropes.

Then back to the college for I think 2-4 weeks (cant remember). After this you are out on your 12 week placements. 3 weeks of this will involve the driving course in Tallaght.

Then back to the college for a futher 3 weeks iirc.

So do not go renting or signing into 1 year contracts etc. The vast majority of students will live in hotels for the time in college. Some colleges have people nearby renting rooms but this is very much a who you know situation and is passed from paramedics to students they might know.

Also regarding some discussion regarding regions. While some regions have shortfalls, a lot of the traditionally struggling regions such as the South East are filling up very fast. Some stations are now nearly at capacity or over capacity. Don't expect to get your home station. Some people are stations 1.5 hours away form their home even in regions where there are shortfalls.

hi sudocreme egg!

Thanks so much for this information it’s very useful. I was just wondering how long ago this you complete your training for the Student Paramedic?

Just looking for a guideline for how recent this information is?

Thanks!

3-4 years ago but I'm mentoring current paramedics so as far as I'm aware it hasn't changed much.

I just know people i trained with, and I still hear of new students making the mistake of thinking the first year is all in the college and going off looking for rentals.

thanks pal but i am actually on stage one that is just submitted an application and hoping for an invite for aptitude tests .. wishing all progressing to a placement all the best hope to join you soon

oh at least we are all in the same position. I also applied to the EMC role and got feedback on that one late last week . Given that the deadline for that was just before the student paramedic one we can’t be too far off .

Think they are having some issues though as it said on the EMC response that they were hoping to do a typing test online but this was no longer possible so they had to revert with a date/time and venue for an in person test instead 🫠

I applied for the emt position aswell and just got feedback on that this morning and the closing date for that application was Monday the 13th two days before the paramedic campaign closed so any day I reckon

Student paramedic follow on emails out last night :) Looks like psychometric tests to be completed online with the testing window opening w/c June 10th and closing the Friday of that week. Apparently a very large volume of applicants which is why they changed the format from in person to online

Ya got that email also. Good luck with it. I'm finding the verbal reasoning tricky

• Registered Users Posts: 7 theone34

I got an invite for the aptitude awell. Do we need the provisional C licence done now if we pass the aptitude?

• Advertisement

I'm not 100% sure I think you go through the whole process as like normal and if successful you are deemed dormant until you inform them you have the provisional. That's my understanding I'm sure there's people on this with more knowledge in relation to this

Hi, nope. I'm starting Ballinasloe Sept 2nd and I still don't have the full C only provisional. Test is soon

• Registered Users Posts: 7 theone34

Are you from near Ballinasloe or did you need to sort out somewhere to stay? For me i would be choosing Ballinasloe or Tullamore but i live about 1hr 45min from both places.

Planning to travel. It's about 2 hours for me so no different than my current 12-16 hour days. Maybe airbnb some of it too. It's only 20 weeks so it isn't as bad as a whole year

• Registered Users Posts: 22 hope234

I’m just wondering , how long does it take from when the aptitude test closes to finding out the results ? And are interviews always held in Galway’s or could they also be online ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Happy Dragon

• Registered Users Posts: 22 hope234

did you get a chance to do the practice questions , is there a way you can find out the results of the practice tests ?

I doubt you can get the results even though it would be nice. They are more for familiarisation so it won't be a shock on the day you do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Passerbye

You can search on YouTube Aon & the name of the test & there are two videos of inductive logical thinking that are very good & answers are in the comments . Check them out. Anyone doing the course on Saturday for preparation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 chrissie22

my interview was in a hotel just outside Athlone last year!

I think the results for the aptitute were out within a week! They post them so make sure they have your right address!

Advertisement