Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I think you are overthinking a bit to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

the only trouble with the 26% wage increase is most of it goes on taxes, combined with 17-30% general price rises very little of any wage increases are ending up in consumers pockets - people are really starting to feel the stretch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭Villa05

If this were true, we would not need ftb grants, shared ownership etc

As you say there is no shortage of demand, but what you saw was the tip of the iceberg. Those that are priced out are not going to waste there time looking there probably working longer hours or 2nd jobs to afford the rent

Maybe, but as Datadude says the issue is shortage of homes. If 3 of those 4 points were worked on there would be alot more homes available

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭Timing belt

on point 2 the new units are probably A rated homes versus a G rate old 3 bed. If this is the case then theirs is an incentive Just like there is an incentive to upgrade the old G rate home. The issue is that the payback period is to long for elderly people to actually end up saving money although saying that if it was an A rating house value would but that would only benefit whoever the house was left to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭DataDude

Yes good point on the tax piece. Standard rate cut off has only gone up 18% and the highest rate of USC hasn’t moved at all in that period! Tax credits only up 13%.

Amazing really that the tax burden has not kept pace with wage inflation during a period of record surpluses!

Don’t necessarily agree on the inflation elsewhere piece. I think CSO has inflation since 2020 at c.20% so we’re now at a point where wages have gone up by more than prices, so people on average should have more disposable income (except for the taxation piece you mentioned)

yes guess it depends on your wages and where you work - some public sector workers would be lukcy to see 40 cent in a euro of an increase after pension levy about 10.5%, paye 40%, prsi 4%, usc 4-8%, and additional pension related deductions, guess higher paid private sector workers would get about half the pay rise after tax before cost of living changes

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭gaming_needs90

Yep, was an early bidder on that but had to bow out. Agreed, was undervalued but their tactic absolutely works. You try to think rationally but you go to the viewing thinking, "Maybe this time it wont go crazy!" Being a FTB does not bring any benefit at all anymore either, it seems a lot have cash on hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Eclectic Econometrics

Over a year ago I had a conversation with someone on here, who held a negative opinion on the market and wasn't going to sway regardless, and asked the question "do you think it is possible that in 10-15 years time we could look back and think that people who bought property at the start of this inflationary event actually fluked the timing of their purchase perfectly".

I don't think there was much talk of wage rises on here up to that point but on the next page Data was talking about his wife getting something like 7% wage rise this year (2023) and 5% the next. Yet the guy still didn't understand the point I was making.

When you start compounding big increases like that it doesn't take long for your gross increases to be commensurate with your mortgage payment. If you bought just before covid you've also got an additional 6 figures of equity in your property, even if you bought a shed.

I used to think I'd give anything to be able to buy in 2014, I bet there are people who think the same about 2019, now.

You'd think that a person practicing what is effectively extortion would be keeping a low profile and quiet but it appears she had solicitors letters sent to the developer when the work promised as part of the deal was delayed because of covid lock downs. Letters published on The Ditch

https://x.com/wereontheditch/status/1795435538125873611?t=ji1NWOOjCBCrYvJDWZRGQw&s=09

• Advertisement

We've had this debate a few times already but in my opinion. Older homes are better located, have proportionately larger rooms and bigger gardens (many of these characteristics can be a headache for those who wish to downsize) but from a valuation perspective should balance out with standard new builds if not give the edge to older homes.

More worryingly, the construction sector and there lobbyists seem to get away with pricing 1 and 2 bed apartments at a higher price to 3 bed homes. If the price of a 2 bed social and affordable apartment in Limerick is 630,000, we can forget about downsizing as a mechanism for more efficient use of existing housing stock

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭gossamerfabric

If people could just invest in stocks and shares affordably in Ireland they would be less tempted to enter the investment property market.

In Germany the taxes on shares for gains or dividends are about 26% which is reasonable. It is then up to the investor to invest for growth or dividend.

There are cost obstacles to exiting the property market as CGT of 33% hits which is a strong psychological disincentive to sell.

A lot of shabby rental properties should be sold on to owner occupiers who will invest the money to spruce them up.

There are people now who wished they had bought in 2006. The people who bought then thought that they were financially ruined and stuck with an albatross. Now they are sitting in their houses and apartments with nearly 2/3rds of their mortgage paid off, probably on trackers and wondering what they were ever worried about in the first place.

I have one family member who we all felt very sorry for because he had 4 houses that he had bought from 2000 to 2006. We used to wish we were as wealthy as him, then from 2008 on we pitied him and thought he would be in debt for the rest of his life. Well, hes rich again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

That's why the price of your house is meaningless unless you're looking to sell or refinance.

I don't know how much my house is worth, nor do I care, because it makes no difference in my day to day.

Time in the market is better than timing the market as they say.

People buying at the bottom in 2012 were probably being told they were mad, just wait another two years and they'll be even cheaper!

are the banks really lending 4 times earning - had a family member public servant on good wages 85k, good savings and saving record, no loans, overdraft, not using credit cards - struggling to get approval for 200k loan from avant for 250k house - they are looking to reduce credit limit on un-used credit cards from about 14k down to 5k before approval

it looks like it is very tough for single buyers out there, maybe it is just avant are more stringent with lending than other providers - hard to see house prices going up much more if mortgage providers are that fussy.?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭gaming_needs90

The issue there is going with Avant. Just tell them to go through Aib's approval process. I have found them the least amount of hassle.

x4 is the limit (unless you have an exemption) not the norm.
    Banks can choose to lend less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Living the life

Really need to act on this, severe deterrents need to be put in place immediately

Organised theft

Fine Gael's Marian Agrios entered into another agreement – separate from the two reported by The Ditch – that compelled a developer to increase a €100k+ package she got to withdraw her appeal.

This agreement added €26k worth of work to the package

Post edited by Villa05 on

What you are describing is boom bust housing policy (economics). You are doing a great job of identifying all the problems leading to a dysfunctional market

• Advertisement

they are 46 but can get loan for 23 years to 70 so while not now typical 35 year mortgage many are getting still historically a normal length of time for mortgage

they also will have pension lump sum and defined benefit pension so on just shy of 90k per year there won't be an issue paying back a 200k mortgage

may tell them to try AIB, credit union, MoCo or mortgage broker and see if they are any easier to deal with avant

if lenders are only lending about 2.5 times earnings single applications dont have much of a chance

No one is saying the market isn't f*cked, but you have to play the hand you're dealt.

You have a knack for grabbing a headline and beating it to death without actually seeing the entire economic landscape :)

We got 35 year mortgage. 4x combined salary.

Avant wouldnt touch us. BOI did. Got it through a broker.

Now less than 6 months in we have had salary rises and a bonus coming and that should be down to 32 years by the end of this year. End of next year we should have about 29 years left due to over payments.

The hard part was getting the mortgage in the first place, so had to go for 35 years. Would have preferred lower term but now we can get it down quickly anyway. Our strategy was get the mortgage whatever way we could and then sort it out once we have it. Can always change lender next year too if needed to chase interest rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,469 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

What is catching him is there ability to repay matrix and Advant is borrowing money on the open market to fund mortgages.

If they are borrowing 4 times salary 340k repayments would be about 1800/ month over 23 years. There disposable income works be about 4.5k/ months so repayments are 40% of disposable income.

In reality they have to shop around. My son got 4 times off PTSB. BOI would have given him nearly 5 times his actual salary they were giving him 100% benefit for his shift and premium pay but he woukd havevto restarthis savings pattern at a higher rate. The CU's were giving him 4 time on basic pay only.

Different entities use different matrix. Affordability will be biggest issue for him

Slava Ukrainii

A FOMO post should always be challenged

How there isn't mass protests on the streets similar to income tax in the 80s amazes me.

Most of the issues are caused by government using taxes from potential ftb's whom government have an obligation to represent there best interests

Time in the market is better than timing the market as they say

This is salespersons spiel

Sharksmx post on the tribulations of buyers in 01, 06, 14 and 19 shows timing is critical if you can do it

The buyers in 01, 06, 14 and 19 didn't know it was a good time to buy, and likely all evidence pointed to it being a poor time to buy.

People who bought in 2008 didn't know it was a terrible time to buy.

If there's one thing we learned, economists are constantly wrong in predicting Ireland's property market. As I said, you can only play the hand you're dealt and you only have the information available to you today.

Hindsight is 20/20.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭DataDude

Over the last 100 years, how many years would you actually have been significantly better off not buying a house and waiting/renting for a few years? Maybe 5? 2005-2010?

Timing the property market is very difficult/impossible. In a higher inflation environment, waiting for lower nominal house prices all whilst getting hammered by 8% rental yields really is a very poor choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Gary_dunne

Central Bank rules are 4 times salary, 4.5 times with an exemption. Maximum, cannot exceed this but can also offer less depending on people's circumstances.

The Central Bank's rules limit the maximum amount someone can borrow. This is four times your gross annual income if you're a first-time buyer and 3.5 times your gross annual income if you're a second-time or subsequent buyer. The same rules apply regardless of how much you earn. With an exemption a mortgage seeker can potentially borrow up to 4.5 times their income.  - https://www.bonkers.ie/guides/mortgage/what-are-the-central-banks-lending-rules/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭dontmindme

Would imagaine they're getting severely penalised for their CC debt.

Advertisement