Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail New Proposed Timetable - August 2024

Options
  • 30-05-2024 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.irishrail.ie/en-ie/news/Timetable-Consultation-2024

New Services

• Up to seven additional services on the Heuston/Galway route including:
      • New 05:45 hrs Heuston/Galway service (Mon-Fri) arriving at 08:36 hrs. This gives a pre-09:00 arrival into Galway City.
      • New 07:27 hrs Tullamore/Galway service (Mon-Fri) arriving at 08:58 hrs. This provides an additional morning peak service into Galway for all stations between Tullamore and Oranmore.
      • New 20:30 hrs Heuston/Galway service (Mon-Sat) arriving at 23:06 hrs. This will provide a later last service from Dublin to Tullamore, Clara, Athlone, Ballinasloe, Woodlawn, Athenry, Oranmore & Galway.
      • New 09:05 hrs Galway/Heuston (Mon-Fri) serving Oranmore, Athenry, Ballinasloe, Athlone, Tullamore & Portarlington, arriving into Dublin Heuston at 11:29 hrs.
      • New 20:50 hrs Galway/Heuston service (Mon-Sat) arriving at 23:33 hrs. This will provide a later last service from Galway to Clara, Tullamore, Portarlington, Kildare, Newbridge & Heuston.
      • New 10:30 hrs Heuston/Galway (Sundays) service arriving at 13:02 hrs, also calling at Newbridge, Kildare, Portarlington, Tullamore, Clara, Athlone, Ballinasloe, Woodlawn, Athenry & Oranmore.
      • New 13:40 hrs Galway/Heuston (Sundays) service arriving at 16:14 hrs, also calling at Oranmore, Athenry, Attymon, Woodlawn, Ballinasloe, Athlone, Clara, Tullamore & Portarlington.

• Extra Waterford service in each direction, delivered through:
      • 20:15 hrs Heuston/Carlow (Mon-Sat) is deferred to 20:20 hrs and now also extended to Waterford additionally serving Muine Bheag, Kilkenny & Thomastown. This will provide a later last service for stations between Dublin & Carlow to Muine Bheag, Kilkenny, Thomastown & Waterford on Mondays to Saturdays.
      • 21:37 hrs Carlow/Heuston (Mon-Sat) will now commence from Waterford at 20:20 hrs additionally serving Thomastown, Kilkenny & Muine Bheag. This will now provide a later last service from Waterford, Thomastown, Kilkenny & Muine Bheag for stations between Carlow & Dublin on Mondays to Saturdays. There will also be intermediate timing changes to this service from Carlow to Heuston.

• Additional service each way Dublin/Waterford/Dublin on Sundays bringing the total services to 5 in each direction.

• 7 new services Monday to Saturday in each direction on Dublin to Belfast route, delivering a new clockface hourly service Dublin/Belfast/Dublin on Monday to Saturdays, including pre-09.00 arrivals into both cities. Services will also operate to/from the new Belfast Grand Central Station.
    • Clockface two-hourly service Dublin/Belfast/Dublin on Sundays, with earlier first services and later last services in each direction. Services will also now operate to/from the new Belfast Grand Central Station.

• 10 new Saturday services in each direction on Cork/Cobh Commuter, delivering a clockface half-hourly service on Saturdays.
    • 4 new Sunday services in each direction on Cork/Cobh Commuter and 6 new Sunday services in each direction on Cork/Midleton Commuter, delivering a clockface hourly all-day service on both routes on Sundays.

Post edited by devnull on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭AngryLips

It looks like enhanced Dublin-Belfast services are being facilitated by converting Dublin-Dundalk services into Enterprise services and extending them onwards to Belfast. So essentially there's no increase in frequency south of the border and if any of those existing Dublin-Dundalk services make any intermediate stops other than Drogheda then those stations will actually lose frequency as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

I thought there weren't enough Enterprise sets to do clockface hourly

Also that last service now extended to Waterford…. will it not just get more crowded

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

as per usual, Irish Rails solution to not being able to run trains on time is to further pad the timetable. Some trains now have 13 minutes to get from Greystones to Bray, a non-stop 9 minute journey in the current timetable!

Example - the morning Gorey-Dublin-Dundalk service which I regularly get from Greystones (i got it today and it ran bang on time - admittedly that's the exception, but it shows they can do it).

Current

Dept Greystones 07:48

Stops Bray/DL/Blackrock/LR/GCD

Arr Pearse 08:41

Proposed

Dept Greystones 07:45

Stops Bray/DL

Arr Pearse: 08:42

So despite removing 3 stops, it'll depart earlier and arrive later, taking an extra 4 minutes.

What's the padding for, they're not running any extra trains in the gap created and the train behind isn't going to run any quicker either. It's just to finesse their currently terrible punctuality stats, it's doesn't benefit passengers in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Near an hour for Greystones to Pearse is very tardy by almost any modern metrics - it's not the 1950s ffs

How are public transport and investment in infrastructure not true election matters?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

and that's the supposed "express". The Dart that follows it is one of the busiest services on the whole network and now that the Commuter no longer serves Lansdowne or GCD, there will be extra people packing into the Dart at Greystones and Bray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭TheSunIsShining

Nothing on the Cork-Dublin route....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

About time we got a later service on the Dublin-Galway line, still way behind Europe for late evening trains but better at least than before

• Registered Users Posts: 21 scrabtom

They added more services to that route in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 scrabtom

As someone who travels reasonably often by rail from Dublin to both Waterford and Galway, I'm really happy with these new later train additions.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DaBluBoi

I see that Kishoge Station has times for services now. Does this mean it will open in late August?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Those times were added back in the December timetable changes, but yes it's due to open during the summer (potentially earlier than August)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Inital Observations:

• Galway has not gotten the hourly service as inidcated last year and Westport keeps it's service. Unless it's driver issues not a suprise. Indicated before it's unlikely both hourly and Westport could work.
    • Waterford welcome additions though some questionable scheduling decisions leading to poor journey times.
    • Some sneeky termination of GCD-Hazelhatch at Connlly in monring/evenings. One of the stand out's is commencing the 16:00 and 16:41 & 16:59 (these two are quiet busy before Connolly) though they start some Maynooth/Longford services from GDC as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭TranslatorPS

I'm not sure what else you're expecting when there's nowhere for the DART to be overtaken (sensibly at least, I'd have to see the DL track layout for sure) when it runs at f-10. No matter how much you try, the best that the InterCity can shave off is about 8' against the DART timings, that is, the DART frequency minus a minute at Bray (departing a minute ahead of a DART) and a minute at Pearse (arriving a minute behind the previous DART).

• Registered Users Posts: 12 orb123

They really have no urgency in improving the Wexford Service. The 5 hours, 34 minutes gap between the 07:39 and 13:13 services from Wexford Northbound on weekdays is embarassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

I had a quick glance through both versions of the DART and Northern Commuter Drafts and it appears that peak hour Bray to Drogheda/Maynooth Commuter services are being removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The additions to the Waterford line are really welcome just a shame still no morning service before 9.00am into Waterford (that’s a glaring gap) and to be nit picky shame so many stops on the later evening one but I guess that’s the nature of it. Stations to Kildare are already very well served and don’t need a Waterford stop- let people transfer at Kildare or newbridge. Sunday overcrowding was becoming a problem too especially after Kilkenny so extra service was badly needed there too

Had a look at the timetable there god it’s still woefully sparse, a bare minimum service. Surely they could add some more and have them at least link with the Dart at Greystones to add to the timetable and leave the existing ones as direct to Connolly. The neighbouring Waterford line is super frequent by comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

After 20 years of starting from platform 3 in Connolly , looks like the 17.15hrs Connolly Sligo will move to GCD , starting there at 17.10hrs

It's a shame that the plan is to terminate trains to Maynooth at Connolly between 19.00-22.00

• Registered Users Posts: 17,701 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I think you mean the Longford commuter service - the Sligo train still starts at Connolly.

Every timetable change of late is resulting in incremental service increases across the network as driver resources permit them, that’s the single biggest constraint (aside from rolling stock).

As more drivers are passed out, more services are being added, but it’s a very slow process given the length of time it takes to train new drivers.

It’s likely in time that there will be more services added on that line especially in the morning.

• Advertisement

There aren’t.

The additional services will be a mix of IÉ ICR operated, following the set reformation process completing, and Translink CAF operated.

That’s the only way it can happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

Given the constraints on the line and limited trainsets/drivers, if they terminate Wexford services at Greystones or Bray, it would allow a massive service increase.

A single trainset would save a 2hour round trip from Bray to Connolly and spend that time heading back to Wexford. Hopefully they make a decision on that soon and improve one of those stations to support an intercity service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

That’s what’s I would when thought- they were a massive backlash in Wexford over these proposals but they make perfect sense and are common in other countries. Compromise could be allow existing services continue as is buy add new ones to meet the Dart. In reality this could be a great win for the line

• Registered Users Posts: 25,803 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

For me personally later is more important than day time frequency. I would like to get the train from Limerick to Galway or Waterford a lot more than I do but it's the rushing for the very early last train that puts me off. Cork isn't much better with an 19.25 last train to Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,803 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

They are pretty common here too. Ennis people have to change to Dublin, Limerick to Cork or Thurles, many of the Limerick to Dublin, anyone from Kerry (mostly) or Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

There are 2 options for the new Enterprise service but all I can see is a few extra minutes added on to Malahide-Connolly in option 2 for a couple of services.

Why offer almost identical options or have I missed something?

You have - the two options are due to the two options for service pattern of northern commuter services.

It might only seem to be “a few extra minutes” but it means even longer Intercity journey times which isn’t good for the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

deleted.

lads what is going on with posts not quoting with my post?

is it just me having this issue?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

You may well be correct, but I don't think I missed anything unless the additional information you provided is included with the options. Otherwise the options are "Would you prefer a faster service or a slower one?"!

Advertisement