Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

But 95% of EV drivers rarely have to charge away from home so they can take the hit on the odd time they do need to charge away from home. Also even if they do need to charge away from home they have got their first 300km or so that day very cheap anyway. They are only charging away from home because they have no choice.

If you have enough time that you can waste an hour of it to drive 100km to save yourself a few euro then you probably arent worried about wasting time waiting at chargers anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

You have to draw the line somewhere and vote with your tyres. I already do that whenever possible and use the SuC only, given a choice. Luckily your 150c/kWh is not there, so haven't had to divert 100 km.

I would not give eCars any pricing ideas, the prices are bad enough as they are.

Just an example: last summer we did a road trip of 8k in kilometres. Would have cost me roughly 2k in charging at 150 c/kWh. That really would have eaten in the hotel budget.

In their reports do eCars amortize the costs or lump the full cost of investments in one FY as they happen?

I think thats the price of owning an EV. If you go outside normal short range use, they are a total pith. Luckily in Ireland we dont have massive distances to drive. Wait til the electricity at the chargers starts getting taxed like Petrol too :) Then you will really be in for a shock.

Not in my experience. It cost a few hundreds for the charging at around 40c/kWh last summer.

Wait until the tax screw really starts to tighten on the road fuels from 2027 ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭markpb

That’s a pretty tough sale for anyone thinking about switching to EV, especially for fleets or anyone without home charging. That kind of price would just ensure the continued sale of ICE vehicles.

The charging network is already putting people off EVs. Fix that and you fix the whole mess.

Its even putting us off now and we are on our 4th EV now since 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭crl84

Not really, the vast majority of people have home charging, don't run fleets, and aren't driving more than 300km in one go on a regular basis.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

There's plenty of people who need to charge away from home too (especially amongst people who will switch to EVs in the future), charging them €1.50/kWh just so people who are already privileged to have cheap home charging thanks to a private driveway can have a much easier time charging their car the a few times a year is one of the most ridiculous proposals I've heard.

We should be looking at ways to increase the accessibility of EVs not pricing people off the road if they don't have a driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I really don’t think that most drivers would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I think we've reached the point where we need to stop writing off the existence of EV owners who don't have access to home charging.

I've become one of those people in the last year, and it's part of the reason why I'm currently awaiting delivery of a new Mini Countryman with 22kW AC charging onboard.

If I was sitting with an ICE at home right now and I was thinking about switching, do you think that paying more than €1/kWh would be an attractive proposition? You're right that it wouldn't have a significant financial impact on me but people are rarely that rational, they would just see it costing more to drive an EV and decide not to buy one.

You're also missing the point about fleets. It doesn't matter that they're not the majority, it matters that they do far more mileage than most private owners. Some of them routinely do more than 300km in a day. The price of DC charging matters and doubling or trebling the cost of that would make most companies switch back to ICE.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Most EV drivers would be happy with them charging €1 - €1.50 per kwh if it meant less waiting at chargers when they needed them.

I doubt that. Not only has the waiting issue at chargers been largely resolved but also what you speak of is a 47% and 120% increase on what is already the highest priced ecars charger

It would even make Ionity look good for once

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

And that's the difference between AC and DC charging.

They do this in Holland and Norway already, very well. Any resident can request via their local municipality an AC charger be installed on their road if they don't have off street parking. These would be at a cost similar to local day rates.

DC, especially 100kW+, are an en route charging and different. 50kW DC could be a sweet spot for charging at shopping centers etc.

We should be looking at ways to increase the accessibility of EVs not pricing people off the road if they don't have a driveway.

This exactly. People know that if you can't charge at home then owning an EV is going to be a lot of hassle. If we want mass adoption we need to change that problem such that people can just buy one without any worries about where they will plug in. Doing this without low charging rates is not going to be easy

The whole country went mad for diesel back in the 2010's because they were saving maybe 20% on fuel. Charging an EV at 70c/kWh is the equivalent of €2.10/L which might go some way to explaining the drop in demand for EVs and the plummeting resale/trade-in prices being experienced

It has not been resolved. Its getting worse every year.

The county of Waterford went from 2 DC charge points in 2022 to having 17 now. Queues were a common sight at them but combined with more AC points as well I haven't seen a queue in a long time

The M7 used to only have a fairly busy 7 or 3 plugs depending on car at J14 but now has Newbridge, Nass, Kill, Rathcoole, Portlaoise, Moneygall, and Birdhill with more on the way

I can't speak for your own personal situation but the situation is certainly better in the above from the POV of charging infrastructure

Anecdotally, I've experienced zero queueing in the last two years. My two most frequent trips (Dublin to/from the west and north-west) have both seen a big increase in the number of fast charging sites available, each of them with multiple plugs per site so no more SPoF crap. New operators like Circle K, Applegreen and Weev have entered the market (or grown significantly), Tesla have opened some of their sites to non-Tesla vehicles and EasyGo have done a decent job of installing slower 50kW chargers in smaller urban locations.

I think their point would be if you add 10 chargers but 100000 EVs is that better?

(I agree with you on this one, I can't remember having to queue .. beyond once at Dublin supercharger during the evening when one of the stalls was OOO)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭wassie

The whole country went mad for diesel back in the 2010's because they were saving maybe 20% on fuel. Charging an EV at 70c/kWh is the equivalent of €2.10/L which might go some way to explaining the drop in demand for EVs and the plummeting resale/trade-in prices being experienced

It was more so a result of Govt Policy. Govt reforms in 2009 of the vehicle registration and motor tax lead to the dramatic shift from petrol to diesel cars. Fuel savings were an additional benefit.

Norway is an example where policy settings can drive EV changeover like the Irish Govt did with diesels.

Norway imposes hefty vehicle import duties and car registration taxes, making cars significantly more expensive than in most other countries. By waiving these duties for electric vehicles, Norway is effectively subsidizing EV purchases at a level that other countries couldn't afford. [Source:WEF]

And whilst Govt policy is always the biggest factor in determining the new car buying habits, you do make a good point on prices. But equally it does coincide with the fact that EV incentives are being tapered back in Ireland as a result of Govt policy at the same time.

Eitherway, it would be good to see Govt investigating if price gouging is going on in ESB public charging rates.

• Advertisement

I think their point would be if you add 10 chargers but 100000 EVs is that better?

So the answer to your question above is "no" but we haven't added 100,000 EVs or 10 chargers to any of my above situations of Waterford or the M7

I will admit though that I was queuing for 1.5 hrs at the 50kW in Dungarvan back this time 2 years ago, 3 cars in front. I don't see that being an issue nowadays with 7 times the number of chargers (soon to be 11 times) in that town alone

I was also queuing on the M7 at portlaoise plaza that year as 3 cars were plugged in. The plaza still has just 3 chargers but the big difference now is moneygall has 8, Birdhill has 2, midway has 2 and newbridge has 6. None of that existed 2 years ago. Here's to the next 2 years

It would also be good to see the govt invest in misinformation destruction so that a second hand market can emerge. It's mad that people still think a battery will only last a few years for example. I'll admit anecdotally some have been unlucky in this sense but the vast majority of 2012 leaf 24s are still moving today on their original battery.

Sorry, to be clear, I was playing devil's advocate to try and understand what that poster was saying. I agree with you, I think the infrastructure has gotten much better. I've been driving EV for 9 years and IMHO it was at its worst in around 2017-18 (just before fees) and has gotten much better since after covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Ecars are dominant in the market so all other operators take their cue from them. As prices were rising, ecars likely found out that EV drivers were not particularly sensitive to price, they used public charging when they had to and had to absorb whatever price was on offer.

It's interesting though at sites where there is competition like Fermoy and Portlaoise, the cheaper chargers will always be busier so we are seeing the start of competition.

The way the networks are establishing themselves is all based around local monopolies. Once a charger is established in a town or village, no other company tends to encroach.

The correct way the government should have built out the core network was to completely own the charging infrastructure and give other networks equal access - rather like ESB networks. That way suppliers could have competed with each other on the same physical infrastructure.

So many EV drivers ive spoken to insist they never had to queue. Even ones im talking to who are in the queue behind me insist they never have to queue. 2 weeks ago i was in a queue for hours and had the same conversation in the queue yet again. She says "Ive never had to wait to get a charge". A neighbor insisted one day that she never had to queue while in the house talking about her EV. All the while not recognizing me that was talking to her for an hour while i was waiting to plug ion only a couple of weeks before.

Its chargers per EV that is the problem. As the number of EVs grows the amount of chargers available is not growing fast enough. People who just state the number of chargers are increasing are not actually stating the real picture. There seems to be some sort of EV rose tinted glasses. I assume its because someone spent a lot of money on their car and dont want anyone else to know that sometimes there can be drawbacks.

The phrase "Suits my needs" or "good planning" or "you shoulda done x, y,z " comes up a lot when talking about EV issues. These are excuse phrases. For example someone comes on complaining about the price at a charging station or that they want chargers on their road and it turns out that they have an EV but no home charging. Out comes the "Suits my needs" but not the "bad planning" that is the apt phrase.

There are good things and bad things about EVs, same as any car. Dont be burying your head in the sand to the bad things or they will never get sorted.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I am always surprised by people who spend time trying to find fault with somebody else's chosen mode of transport. When people are saying "suits my needs" they aren't creating an excuse, they are saying would you quit with your problems that aren't relevant to me I don't care enough to continue arguing. You shouldn't be upset by a car being suitable for someone and the journeys they make.

If you are really worried about the number of chargers per EV you should be delighted by the massive increase in chargers over the last 18 months, and by the tender that has gone out for charging pools across our primary road network. There's a really interesting mathematical model that was developed to deal with serving queues. You are much less likely to queue and will queue for a much shorter time at a single location that has many chargers than at a more distributed network that has many locations. There are now a lot more charging hubs around, and we have seen a big drop in charging queues. Charging is one of those things that has improved every year since I bought my first EV, I expect I'll still be saying the same for next couple of years.

Personally in the past year I have queue'd for charging twice. First one was in Riga last summer and it was a painful one, an hours wait. The second time was 2 minutes at Ionity, Cashel.

I have public charged 55% out of the 3134 kWh used in the past 12 months according to the Tesla app so pretty good track record here.

I've only been driving since 2022. I can only shudder to imagine what it was like in around 2017-18 if it was worse than that. I would like to see it get better still mind, a situation where somebody can buy a second hand car, regardless of brand, charge connector or price and have the confidence to drive the entire country would be a massive turning point. That's why I have great interest in CCS/Chademo adapters and hopefully some day CCS/High-AC adapters

Generally when I'm in the car, I have four little ones with me. If I had to queue, you can be damned sure I'd remember every painful Wheels-on-the-bus-are-we-there-yet-I-need-to-go-wee minute of it!

It was good until 2016, and then progressively bad until 2019. All the chargers were 100% full with drivers with their installed for free charging points saving pennies hogging the public charging points instead. And the rest of the charging points in towns were usually ICE'd. Imagine trying to go to places in a 24 kWh car. Things are much better now, both cars and the charger availability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭CivilEx

The new 4 x dual 200kW hub at the Crescent shopping Centre in Limerick seems to be live

https://www.plugshare.com/location/556336

Advertisement