Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Schedule for next season is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭conquestscarer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

A Little hypothetical, if we were to lose against Connacht would we avoid a semi final in Pretoria and provided Munster still finished the table in 1st have a final in Ireland? This is the pathway I had in mind

Qf Vs Stormer home

SF Vs Munster Away

Final in Ireland

Seems Alot better then:

QF Vs Ulster/Benetton home

SF Vs bulls away

Final Vs Munster away

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

At this stage of the season Not sure whether Stormers at home is better than Bulls away but I guess it does avoid the trip to SA the week before a final.

Stormers have all their International back and looked pretty good putting away Gloucester last weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭durthacht

Squidge Rugby has published his review of the Champions Cup final on YouTube and it's a must watch in my opinion. His analysis is clearer and more insightful than any journalist or pundit, and it's so refreshing to hear intelligent thoughts rather than the usual lazy comments of just blaming individuals.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Ref has split second to make call, thinks Dan is isolated and Du Point has enough time to life even if its only marginal - he's in a good enough position to call it. It's fine margins but there's there to ping Sheahan.

There were other decisions like Lowe's YC which were much harsher.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭OldRio

Sorry, but I find his 'style' unwatchable. Unbearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Personally I think the non Big Joe try was the biggest mistake and not sure how neither the ref or the TMO doesn't understand the laws of the game.

Nobody is talking about it but that try was early in game and would have been a 7 pointer, would of had a huge positive for Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I enjoyed Squidge's analysis. Made a very good point about Leinster's kicking strategy being similar to South Africa's when they beat France in the World Cup. We got a lot of joy from that last week. Shame it didn't lead to a victory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭durthacht

That's fair enough and everybody is entitled to their own preference.

I just appreciate the different perspective he brings, such as breaking down a change in kicking tactics from Leinster and explaining how Byrne's passing style creates space for others.

It's different to the usual banal analysis from journalists and pundits which usually is just that this player isn't good enough, that player was off it today, someone else will be disappointed, blah blah... I think Squidge brings a unique and more intelligent insight, but to each their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I can see how people would not like his style. I blow hot and cold to it at times.

But I do agree fully with what you're saying.

I've had interactions with him over on Reddit over the years and he's just an ordinary bloke who loves rugby. Simple as. He loves every form of it and he's been an important voice for Womens and T2 rugby also.

I draw comparisons with what Neinaber said this week in his interviews about being a waterboy. He referenced how he isn't an ex player and he came into coaching in a totally different route.

Rugby media is over saturated with ex pros who range from interesting to dull to thick to malicious to charismatic. But with the fullest respect to most ex pros working in media. I don't think they'd have the capability to do what Squidge does on a technical level….. and more than a few wouldn't be able to do what he does on an analytical level either…

There is something very endearing about an average bloke succeeding in a market like this

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Leinster player (?Jenkins) in possesion is tackled & ball is stripped from him. Ball travels backwards towards in-goal. Same Leinster player touches ball again (after strip completed) so Knock On. Slightest touch but nevertheless.

Big Joe then retrieves ball & runs in & 'scores'. Correct decision, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I enjoy Squidge's videos a lot, he's very earnest in his passion for the game. I'd criticise him at times for building a narrative about games, and fitting his analysis around it. He also never talks about refereeing decisions, which can leave his videos lacking crucial context at times.

Just got to the RDS ahead of tonight's match.

Connacht have an inordinate about of bald coaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

That carry from Conan was as good as any carry we saw last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,420 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Leinter get a bit more clinical in 22 and could rack up a big score

• Registered Users Posts: 23,968 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Thats what happens when you spend all year tearing your hair out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Like the look of this young out half!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

If the Leinster coaches aren't fighting tooth-and-nail to keep Prendergast they're off their heads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

you should wrap him up until the champions cup final next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭ongarite

JOB looking settled at FB so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,420 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Lads it's only 8pm ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 23,968 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'm pleased for the lads, especially Conan and Frawley, must have been a long old week.

Also, Prendergast should be kept at Leinster by whatever means.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭ongarite

Jesus if Conan had started last week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Leinster pack absolutely bullying Connacht.

Foley has looked good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

There is no question Prendergast would be the starting 10 at Connacht

Cartys drop in form is nearly as bad as Luke McGraths

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Bingo!! They are off their heads

Harry and Ross Byrne both singed a new contracts this month.

Sam should go and will be a starter for a year.

Leinster have tried their hardest to gift Connacht angry these last 5 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Sam and Foley had a cracking first half.

Advertisement