Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Mark my words- the level of refund will decrease overtime after retailers go crying to the government about the extra work and we’ll all then have to give the retailer a “processing” fee

• Registered Users Posts: 39,982 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Why would you expect a DRS? Were you not happy with the convenience of placing your rubbish perfectly into a dustbin feet from your home? What part of that made you think, you know what we need a bloated expensive mess to achieve what I had already been doing perfectly well that was convenient to me.

Also bringing your waste shopping or around with you for the day is not an ordinary everyday task nor should it ever be. It's bonkers.

Particularly when you are forced to do it not because of the environment but to solely enrich a quango with absolutely no independent oversight which insisted on having cans added to the scheme so they could sell them.

But come on, even on a fundamental level this scheme is an absolute pain in the hole even if it was good for the environment and not just green washing and green theatre.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,332 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Bump time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,163 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Stuck

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I never (or very rarely) buy individual cans/bottles in the shop but I bought a 1 litre bottle of orange juice last weekend and saw on my receipt when I got home that the tax had been applied. I'm obviously not going to bring one bottle back to one of the machines once it's finished, it's still ok to recycle in the bin at home, I presume? I'm not really getting the whole system unless you buy a s**tload of cans/bottles every week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,356 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Bump

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,855 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Maybe it's as normal as bringing bottles to a bottle bank and separating them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,855 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

You must have a short memory. The changeover was about the world cup final with England. The site was down for over a weeks if not longer and was soo bad. Loads of patches and locked threads of what to do. Made it somewhat usable. The soccer forum was a disaster for the longest time

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭bog master

bump

bump ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Archeron

Many years ago, it would have made sense here too. Many years ago, irelands answer to recycling was everything in a black bag and left on the street for a big truck to eat. Thats not all that long ago.

Since then, ireland went down a different path and was very succesful in it with a hugely progressive approach to recycling which took years to develop.

On the go products are a problem, partly due to a lack of council provided bins, rubbish and recycling, in public places. Also largely due to ignorant muppets who dump, and will continue to do so regardless.

To address this small (in the scheme of volumes recycled way) , they took a sledgehammer to it and managed to destroy public confidence in the recycling agenda, encourage damage to the environment with needless journeys, fuel, time, platic bag use, black bin dumping of rejected items, etc.

They've given two fingers to large minority groups who have publicly asked "what about us" and there are no answers forthcoming.

We have a significant price increase in items that we buy every day, even including the purchase of water, one of the basic human rights. All of this during a cost of living crisis.

Recycling companies must surely be asking why they bother, when the most lucrative part of their business can be just swiped from them on a whim.

They made an utter balls of the launch.

They will take a minimum of a quarter of a BILLION euro, directly from our pockets every year with the blessing of the government.

And they think they are entitled to refuse to release how much they are paying themselves.

Oh, and they are all apparently vested interests involved.

And sorry @elperello for quoting your entire post, i just mean to reference the years ago in germany part. I enjoy reading your balanced posts on this and am glad to see you have a positive experience, as we all should.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Archeron

Bork. Sorry, think i broke the thread again

bump ffs

bump

bump

bump

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 29,356 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You can put it in your green bin though you will lose your deposit.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

And therefore pay twice, for your green bin and your deposit goes to the quango who, mandated by the government and a monopoly refuses to release figures for returns and their director remunerations. Win Win for them, Lose Lose for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,871 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I expected a DRS system because seeing the system working it made sense to me.

I was attracted by the idea of putting a value on something that was hitherto mixed with general waste, contaminated in green bins or just littered and fly tipped.

I never put a can in my green bin preferring to separate them and put them in the can bin at the civic amenity centre so it's not a big inconvenience to put them in the RVM.

All plastic including pet bottles always went in the green bin because that was the best option available.

Now there is a better option for pet bottles I'm using it.

I don't bring recycling around for the day, if a can fails to pay out I keep it and try again next time I'm at an RVM.

Currently after four months I have one pet bottle at home to go to the RVM and thanks to a few pick ups and some gifted cans I am up about €6.

Like I said before this is not a big deal for me, in short personally I can manage it.

I'm not making little of other people's problems nor am I ignoring the shortcomings of the scheme which I have addressed in many other posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,982 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I never put a can in my green bin preferring to separate them and put them in the can bin at the civic amenity centre so it's not a big inconvenience to put them in the RVM.

Hardly environmental is it? Much like this scam.

Driving to a civic centre where there was a perfectly good option outside your front door that was carbon neutral to get to.

Totally sound in environmental terms.

The civic amenity site is on my route to the store where I do the weekly shop.

No extra journey and the cans were separated from other materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Not made with hands

Machines generally out of order in a few places today.

No reason for a retailer to keep them functioning I suppose.

No excuse for this now that the system has bedded in.

If their card machines went down the problem would be fixed instantly.

Meaning that you're paying twice for the "privilege" of having a private company's waste recycled for them, simply because you wanted a drink of something.

This is a fundamental point for people deciding how to proceed with the scheme.

If you don't retrieve the deposit you are losing real money.

Earlier today there was some reaction to the idea of me going to some trouble to reclaim 45 cent.

If I lost 45 cent every week it would add up to €23.40 per year.

I can buy a bottle of whiskey for €23.40.

Personally I'd rather enjoy that bottle than gift the €23.40 to Re-turn.

There shouldn't be a deposit being paid to a private company in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

How much of that €23.40 will be going to the manufacturer because of the equally ridiculous MUP??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,940 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

They get a processing fee. And for the first three years there is a sliding scale of other payments available to traders who go below set volumes of returns.

MUP is a totally different kettle of fish and a way of robbing us with no chance of refund but I'm sure you already know that.

• Advertisement

As long as there is you have two choices either get your deposit back or leave it to Re-turn.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement