Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Yeah I think he was previously trying too hard to crack a joke or get a laugh at the start of any discussion and it just irked me. He's just playing it cool now and comes across very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The Richie Saddlier episode with Damien Duff is excellent. Well worth a listen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

I wonder will it surprise me. I don’t expect my perception of Duff as a man who takes himself incredibly seriously to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

He’s a bit of a pound-shop Keano, but I enjoyed the interview nonetheless.

I doubt it’s my kind of thing but I’ll listen anyway.
    The media are building duff into something he’s not though. He’s not some mad football genius. Shelbourne are well organized and work hard and that’s fine for league of Ireland

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Seems I'm in the minority, I thought the Duff interview was average at best. Listened with another chap in work and he thought the same, the way the lads built it up you'd swear it was going to be like Frost/Nixon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Raoul

I don't think anyone is calling him a genius. Where did someone say that?

Mostly it's saying his teams are disciplined and organised.

You missed the show where Mcdevitt picked him as a no brainer choice for next Ireland manager? About 2 months ago.

Duff doesn’t want the job seemingly so that should suit everyone for now. Suits me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,700 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I suspect I've already heard all the best bits…

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ken in Nevski Prospect is still one of the best audio beds they've ever done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Ken was being quite selective and sensationalist in his analysis of ten hag. He tried to take away from Hag tactically getting the better of Pep by pointing out Ole had beaten city before and if you play counter attacking football you always have a punchers chance. Also arguing that because Hag had dropped Varane before means Hag can’t complain about him being out injured is ridiculous stuff. Eoin was talking a bit more sense, a bit more nuanced in his thinking.

So a no brainer choice means he is a genius?

Also, Eoin doesn't necessarily say what he thinks. Sometimes it is just to fuel the conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I thought it was on the money. ETH complaining about Varane injury loses any credibility once he didn't pick him when fit - very simple stuff I'd have thought.

ETH and Poch finished the season ok but overall they were both terrible, but Chelsea saw that he wasn't the right manager and acted, whereas Ineos are stalling and creating even more of a circus around UTD

and Barry Glendennig on the guardian podcast saying Chelsea were being dumb by not seriously considering duff for the Chelsea job.

so … point proven

Varane when fit had been Hags first choice centre back for 90% of games, Ken was cherrypicking Varane not starting to fit his argument. Salah didn’t start every game so does that mean Klopp can’t complain if he gets injured or goes to play in the AFCON ?

INEOS are stalling because there is a good case to be made either way whether to keep Hag. Also I expect INEOS will go into the issues at the club with greater depth than Mondays pod or the general media has. Such as lack as goals. Going into the season with one striker who is 21, never played in the premier league and arrived injured was always going to be an issue goal wise. From what I have heard is that Hag was promised a striker and then told Greenwood is coming back and then told it’s just høiland. Not to mention Rashfords historic fluctuations in form and psychological problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

Glendenning is a performing monkey. Fair play to him for managing to make a career out of talking utter shite from a position of pure ignorance

well that’s not untrue but he’s in the media and he’s one of two I’ve cited who’ve blown up duff far beyond his present status. There’s probably other examples I’ve not heard.

over the course of two seasons he was the starting centre back 90% of the time when fit. Why he dropped him ? Maybe there was a disagreement, tactical, or he can’t play more than one game a week. Ken discounting the negative impact his injury had on the team is farcical.
    Also not being able to sell Maguire and bring in a more mobile defender is one of the reasons conceded so many shots.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

how is previous season irrelevant when analysing a manager ? Ken was talking about the previous season when talking about the lack of goals ? Seems selective/odd.

the distance between the defence and the midfield is a big issue, when you have immobile defenders they can't play a high line, which left a gap between midfield and leads to attackers with plenty of space to run through/attack.

Casamerios injuries / collapse in form compounded the issue. Hag was slow to change tactics but he wanted to play a certain style but the players he had meant he couldn’t. He changed for the last 5 games or so and results picked up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

The lads talking as though Ancelotti would sneer at the type of manager to be all-consumed by football - they should read Parma: A Year in Serie A.

Great book, would make a great book Club episode if they wanted a starting point for a serious analysis of Ancelotti's coaching career.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The pretty good Humans And Heroes of Football podcast did Ancelotti last week too. Interesting listen.

The lads very much take a sentence or two and then come up with their own stories. They have to be taken with a pinch of salt sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,177 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

5 games ago they lost to Crystal Palace 4-0. 4 games ago they lost to Arsenal and could still be out there without having scored. Got away with it against Newcastle and Brighton as is the way but they were meaningless games for all involved.

He had a good cocktail of fortune and decent tactics against City though. Them being off the boil, Martinez and Rashford back and relatively fresh a game changer. He can't stay but any replacement is coming in to a team built purely to be loyal to him. Long way from the turning point fans expect no matter what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭atilladehun

The next Ireland manager won't be a genius or anything near it. It'll be a person who meets some criteria to a certain extent. 30% of people will be somewhat happy.

Duff absolutely meets some criteria to some extent. There's a strong chance that whoever is selected for the job has a worse record than Duff.

They may not be currently managing.

They may not have been building a career over the last decade.

They may not have gotten a group of players to perform better than the sum of their parts.

They may not be premier league winners that the current internationals can only look up to.

city: off the boil

Brighton : meaningless

Newcastle: got away it

im seeing a pattern of giving ten hag very little credit.
    He got his tactics perfect against city, check out the tactics video by 442 and did a brilliant job motivating them.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5528123/2024/05/30/how-ten-hag-inspired-fa-cup-win-al-pacino-team-talk-memories-of-afghanistan-and-a-10-day-tactical-plan/

He is far from a perfect manager but I find the lack of credit he gets ridiculous.

Anyway it’s only football. In all likelihood he looses his job, I think that would be a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Meanwhile, delighted to hear Barney Ronay on the podcast a few times lately. Has he been on much before? His columns are excellent in The Guardian.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭bren2001

He is far from a perfect manager but I find the lack of credit he gets ridiculous.

He got all the credit he deserves. He finished 8th with a negative goal difference. Blaming it on players being injured was embarrassing.

There were moments united looked good this season. It’s not enough. 38 games doesn’t lie. He’s been shite.

i thought Ken was spot on in his analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Dont Be at It

They've been an absolute shambles all year. Don't expect much credit for the one game you do get right when you're consistently bad the rest of the time. And being honest it's a miracle they were in the final - Liverpool should have been 3 nil up on them.

He has pretty much no structure on the team. The only thing they're good at is the default thing that all bad teams revert to - sit deep and counter attack. Luckily for them that kind of opponent is city's biggest weakness. But week in week out it doesn't cut the mustard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Tucker.Tim

Lmao, City love picking apart teams that sit back. What are ya on about?

Advertisement