Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A warm and dry June would be great but after last year I feel I really want July and August to deliver the goods this year at least some of the time.

Will the first 2 weeks of September deliver another very warm spell like it does most years, it probably will since I'll be in Spain for first half of September that almost guarantees that summer will be extended into September once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

yes, there’s nothing like a fine August which unfortunately are quite rare but 2022 will live long in my memory, we’ve only had two really good Augusts this century the other one being 2003 so as I’ve said quite rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

It will likely alternate between warm settled spells and cooler wet spells this year. Could be wrong but I feel something like this will emerge. Hopefully Winter used up most of the rain and rain is low during the unsettled days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Fingers crossed 🤞 we have Warmer weather for longer 😀 at least it will be a nice June Bank Holiday weekend, won't be as warm as last year but plesent anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Nice morning. The smorgasbord of birds are in fine voice out the back garden. Currently 11c. N Kildare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Looks like May will be another poor month; I would've considered it to be okay up to last week. For Dublin Airport, it'll finish much cloudier than average. The sunniest day of the month so far had 12.5 hours, which is the lowest amount for the sunniest day in May since 2003, though tomorrow might do a very last minute rescue. Despite being a good deal drier than average, it'll be close to average in terms of rain days. The fact that people loved this May just tells you how poor the previous months were more than anything.

Ya Sligo seems set to just get 1 good day now from the 4 day settled spell. Tomorrow. Drizzle and cloud all the other days. We will have to wait until the next one. 11c currently. 13c max forecast. Then 16c at weekend. Not great.

Since days are not that much warmer than normal and nights are coz its so cloudy I'd imagine the Summer months will be closer to IMT than the other 9 months that are meant to have colder nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

in my location now it’s 11 degrees and cloudy ground is wet. Really not feeling this as a good month at all. As Artane said the bar is so low

I was away for the first week of May but generally it has been ok. Been mild/warm enough for shorts everyday anyway. Couple of muck days, sure we get that every month.

It's still spring, so therefore i'd call it a decent month

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Spring drawing to a close now. First 2 months were absolutely awful and this May has been decent but probably seems better than it is considering how awful the weather has been for the first part since the final week of June 2023.

A nice dry week is in store for us now but temperatures are now looking fairly average to slightly warmer than average over the weekend and next week is looking potentially quite chilly with a northerly blast most likely setting in by Tuesday/Wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Overcast and chilly enough in Dublin today. May was decent enough although didn't end great. Hopefully June is good again like last year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭squarecircles

The old classic set up, the green finger of slime dripping down from the north and ending up exclusively over ireland in ever scenario. gas. Anyone hoping for a repeat of last june is going to be very disapointed, setting itself up now for some serious classic irish summer pig trash. A maxiumum of 12 at the start of summer in a cool pig flow from the northwest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

A beautiful morning has turned into a dull, cool, and cloudy afternoon in Dublin. Some drops of rain on and off too.

Is this annoying strong breeze due to stick around through the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

To add to that, the first 5 months of 2024 set to be the cloudiest since 1996 at DA including 4 consecutive cloudier than average months from February to May. February to May 2023 were also cloudier than average - May 2023 very slightly albeit that it was basically average. Have to go back to June to September 2016 for the last time there's been 4 consecutive significantly cloudier than average months here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Mostly cloudy this afternoon and feeling cool in the breeze, considering lighting my stove this evening :(

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Still raining away on and off despite Met Eireann app saying it would stop at 9am this morning. Guess it will be tomorrow's 16c before the 8c next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭OldRio

Showers and a little sunshine this morning. Heavy cloud and a strong northerly wind this afternoon. Showers more frequent. The polar opposite to ME forecast.

Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Well ME have got that forecast completely wrong for today

Strong NNW wind with regular heavy showers

Chilly, windy and some showers at times today in Meath, everyone with jumpers and jackets on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I was actually also wondering where 2024 ranks in the list of dullest springs on record at Dublin Airport? Of course, that could change by tomorrow but interesting all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Not a great day at all (SW Laois), started with heavy showers this morning which cleared to blustery showers and short periods of sunshine. Hopefully a bit drier for the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭mykrodot

Brrrr I couldn't believe how cold I felt today, strong breeze and 13 degrees in mid Kerry and we're almost into June. Global warming it ain't

• Registered Users Posts: 33 goingmadted

Its fckin freezzzing!

Fire on. Is it June soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Our weather this time last year, came up on Facebook memories, such a difference compared to this year

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Not counting today and tomorrow, it's currently the second dullest spring on record with 364.0 hrs.

1996 unsurprisingly is the dullest with 363.9 hrs.

It's likely to be the third or fourth dullest on record since 1942. Springs 1991-1993 were all in the top 5 dullest!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭appledrop

Snap, I thought the exact same. Went off to work in my summer dress ( at least it was a long one) jaysus when I stepped outside at lunchtime the wind chill was unreal!

It didn't get any better this evening, even the 2 year old who loves the garden in evening said its too windy mammy and came back in!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Big difference between MT'S forecast and Met E's forecast this morning for next week?

Beautiful morning. Some high level cirrus clouds, warm, althought temp is "only" 14c. N Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Also in North Kildare this morning. It's beautiful and bright. I think it feels chilly though, 11C and a Northerly breeze. Perfect for my outdoor work though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Looks like a cloudy weekend ahead for most. Up until yesterday it was showing sunny spells for much of the weekend and temperatures up to 19 degrees in Wicklow, now looking dull with temps around 16 degrees. Very disappointing for the June bank holiday weekend.

Advertisement