Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Water for Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

What nonsense. Complete and utter nonsense.

The smaller a country is, the fewer centres of development it can support. Ireland is a small country and already has several cities, it doesn't need another one. Remember when FF turned a sensible national spatial strategy into "one for everyone in the audience" and doomed it to failure?

Dublin Airport has loads of spare capacity, it's just not currently allowed to use it due to an idiotic council decision that will soon be reversed.

The idea that Megacity One Athlone would be free from crime and traffic congestion is laughable. It'll have Irish people in it. Most of them will want to drive everywhere and a good proportion of them will be scumbags.

The only reason anyone would suggest such an insane idea is that they're either taking the complete mick or stand to profit personally from it. Decentralisation all over again, just a process to turn taxpayers' money into FF votes, that worked out great 🙄

Frank McDonald? The guy who opposed Luas, opposes Metro but wanted to build a cable car along the Liffey? Riiight. He's well known as a complete crank.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Avoiding the issues with that silly reply. What room?

The idea is crazy just because Dublin is turning into a monster that must be fed until it chokes?

Everyone would benefit including Dublin if new development was moved out of Dublin. Athlone is a good choice but perhaps not the only one either. A plus for Dublin is that it is very close.

I believe that a pipeline from the Shannon would be a big mistake similar to the Children's hospital. 14 years being built and still no idea when it will be finished. Built in the wrong place and a total fiasco. Don't repeat this again.

Who's on about desalination? Not me reduce demand fix the leaks and manage what you have. The biggest demand reduction would be to move major development out of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,651 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

You're on about expense and claiming that Shannon Water to Dublin will benefit nobody. I've debunked that and named all the areas this would benefit. A comparable solution would be desalination, mentioned in the thread, but the expense is outrageous compared to the Shannon project.

This thread is about Shannon Water to Dublin you're railroading the thread in to decentralisation and your general pathological hatred for Dublin, Dubliners and all things to do with the Capital. You must have thousands of posts on boards.ie putting down the city and it's people. A search with your name and Dublin in the subject is a real eye opener.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭standardg60

Yes and Dublin has 3 rivers seemingly, one through Blessington, one through Ballymore Eustace, and one through Islandbridge

Post edited by standardg60 on

Well the Canal once was and could be used again if the pollution was cleaned up and treated. Recently Guinness (article of 15 years ago) used filtered Grand Canal water for washing etc.

Makes more sense that building a huge pipeline.

You think that this is only about water. It is linked to the over development of the Dublin area and feeding that is not in anybody's interest. Dublin centric thinking at its best.

Dublin is not a place to be looked up to and has many problems which seem to be getting worse. Just look at the riots in the city centre recently and the tent cities.

I never said I hated Dubliners. Find a quote that says that!

Do you understand what feeds canals and how they work?

The main water supply for the canal is Lough Owel near Mullingar which is fed by the small River Brosna. Do you think that's sustainable? The Royal Canal is a man-made waterway linking the River Liffey at Dublin to the River Shannon near Tarmonbarry. There is a branch line from Kilashee to Longford Town. Do you suggest a pump from there? How do you get the water through the locks at the speed it's needed for Meath, Wicklow, Dublin, Kildare, Newport, Killaloe, Dunkerrin, Moneygall, Borrisokane and Mullingar?

Yes, the thread is about Water, it's called Shannon Water for Dublin and it's in over a millions peoples interest. You don't have to say you hate Dublin, it's obvious, just look at your post history.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

I know I'm late to the game here, but have you bothered your hole looking for a map of the project?

Or reading the list of places that will be served by it? The only way to decentralise Dublin to Longford, Mullingar, Athlone, Meath, Louth is to build this project!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭1percent

I am beginning to see things from the OPS POV We need to make dublin smaller. I propose taking some of the pipe line budget and hiring roiving bands of hurl Weelding men beating people up, on top of that we cut the electricity into the city by half and permanent road works on the M1/4/7 and 11 inbound with only the hard shoulder open with a speed limit of 30kph. Unfortunatelywe are not able to cut the existinging water supply and we may need to carry out an environmental impact study before we mine the shipping lane into the port.

Obviously the dire situation that is Dublin right now is not deterring people from wanting to live there so we must up the anti to show them the errors of their ways and how awfull a place it really is. We can then house all the economic migrants from the hell scape in mega city1 sorry Athlone 2, the wet sock boogaloo. Once it has cleared the An bord planala review.

I know my history but you can't find a quote? A I thought you just made it up.

I was showing that canal water was used and to an extent still could be along with other measures. The thread is about water being brought across country at God knows what cost to Dublin. This wouldn't be an issue if Dublin was sucking everything in from the rest of the country to expand even more.

You are seeing it from a Dublin point of view only. Expand Dublin? I say no it's big enough as is and Athlone has no need of this water source.

You might be taking it a bit far?

You might be taking it a bit far?

' I propose taking some of the pipe line budget and hiring roiving
    bands of hurl Weelding men beating people up, on top of that we cut the
    electricity into the city by half and permanent road works on the M1/4/7
    and 11 inbound with only the hard shoulder open with a speed limit of
    30kph. Unfortunatelywe are not able to cut the existinging water supply
    and we may need to carry out an environmental impact study before we
    mine the shipping lane into the port.

Obviously the dire situation
    that is Dublin right now is not deterring people from wanting to live
    there so we must up the anti to show them the errors of their ways and
    how awfull a place it really is. We can then house all the economic
    migrants from the hell scape in mega city1 sorry Athlone 2, the wet sock
    boogaloo. Once it has cleared the An bord planala review.'

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭1percent

I don't know about anyone else but I'm a Limerick City man myself.

Working in dublin but living outside the pale.

Not from Dublin myself even though I was born there and lived in the central city for many years.

Lol!! The Grand & Royal canals used to pump water to Dublin! You couldn't make this up!! It's not history, there's no quotes, it's just facts. A small river fed lake feeds one Dublin canal, the river Shanon feeds the other Dublin canal! They're engineered channels developed to transport barges, they have locks, there's now real flow, they're not designed for high speed hydro pumping!

You're dead against Shannon Water going to Dublin anyway!

Of course I'm against it as will be most of Ireland. The environmental impact people will also be. It's just crazy like something from China or some mad dictatorship.

What does your poll say?

And why are you insisting that Shannon water should be pumped to Dublin via canals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

and where does the water in a canal comes from? Think…

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

There are many other option too much more suitable that water from across the country!

What are these "many other option too much more suitable" options? Other than your amazingly ridiculous and expensive idea of taking it from the Shannon via canals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭standardg60

So you've no environmental impact or use of Shannon water worries with your theoretical city in Athlone but do with sticking a pipe in the ground because it's going to Dublin.

Is that a fair summation?

There is an Athlone already there! An environmental impact due to expansion would be likely but not a massive expensive, liable to breakage and attack pipeline!

But your poll says people are in agreement with it.

That poll is very old but even if they are it doesn't change the issues that will scupper it.

So, it's water to Dublin from the Shannon via canals then?

• Advertisement

Water that's there already form multiple sources already nearby like any normal city or town.

Advertisement