Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You've been looking in the wrong direction, the dangers are coming from the right.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭animalinside

This thread really didn't age very well did it.

What's the new spin on it, maybe you meant the "right" as in to the right of the country, ie. people coming from the east? In that case you were correct.

Could we have, for the first time in the history of humanity, a confession that the OP and people that agreed with him got everything wrong on this subject and caused a huge amount of harm for every decision they caused because of it?

Own up.

You will be a lot more respected if you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Think you might be living in a different reality. On a global scale, we've had a far right president attempt to overthrow an election result. We've had Putin invade Ukraine and engage in genocide. On a local scale, we've had the local far right engage in arson, harassing library staff in an effort to get books banned, showing up in balaclavas outside of politician's homes and engaging in riots in Dublin. Meanwhile in messaging groups, they were egging on killing migrants...

Dangers seem pretty fair as a descriptor. Don't think there's anything to apologize for.

Genocide really? That's a new one for me. I believed Russian forces were very careful about not hitting civilians and gave plenty of warnings in advance? It would be pretty strange for Putin to be committing genocide against his own people, since that's the whole point of his operation there, to stabilize the parts of Ukraine that have in large part Russian ethnicity.

What data or argument do you have to support your claim genocide, or are you expecting that you can just throw that word in there for any conflict you don't like?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,718 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It aged perfectly. Rightists tried to shut down discussion and made themselves look absurd and disingenuous in the process.

Can you prove any of this at all?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

The poster has rapidly revealed their true colours....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Im going to ignroe all the bad faith nonsense in this post and focus on the last 6 words you wrote which imply that if you think there are specific conflicts people don't like then you also believe there are conflicts people do like…..

Please tell us which conflicts involving death and murder do you specifically like?

VinLieger I would like you to know I have read your message and am leaving it "on read" as it were.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,718 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It never takes long. Rightists really love to try and shut down dissent. I remember one lad tracking me down years after criticising Joe Rogan (or was it Jordan Peterson?) and demanding an apology.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Wouldn't be about the Ivermectin would it?

As I said it takes a courageous man to admit they were wrong and some have done it. I guess that guy was holding out hope for you.

No. He didn't like his favourite hack being questioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Almost every vile violent oppressive form of government and/or wannabe movement in recent years has been far right …. ISIS … MAGA … those arsonists who target buildings in Ireland … they all have in common a v limited grasp of nationalism and work towards some fanatic implementation of basic and repressive ideas that are designed to make one group more powerful and terrify the others ….

In Ireland we have them too …. thankfully they do not so far gain much in elections …. they started out in recent times with anti-abortion agendas ….. the babers and prolifers …. the same prolifers who cheered on the Iraq war and want the Iran war …. the same babers who are glad to see conscripts sent to their doom in wars against what they call 'satanism' …. babers in various countries only want people to have children in order to have soldiers …

After these babers and prolifers came the anti turbine brigade …. and then the anti mask brigade and antivaxxers during Covid …. then the anti migrant brigade …. all spreading fear and lies with racist conspiracy theories like the great reset and the great replacement theory ….

They find their 'heroes' to worship …. in the past there was Hitler …. today there is Trump …. in Ireland we get some misguided individuals too who worship false idols …. I know of a man who considers John Waters a 'divine being' and another who says Gemma O'Doherty is a 'prophet' ….

Of course … not all evil came from the far right …. other movements had it too …. but the far right have a special madness rarely seen elsewhere …. it can be argued too that so-called 'communists' like Milosevic, Ceausescu, Pol Pot and Stalin really went so far left they ended up far right by default …. indeed a better name for far right may well be irrational political obsession that has the real potential to manifest itself as violence ….

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Everything I don't like is far right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

Good post. I'm curious about how the far right scum we have in the country will react now that they understand they are not going to make any real inroads politically. Claiming they are representing 75%+ of the population and barely making any inroads. I wonder why 75% of the population didn't vote far right then?

I'm sure the misinformation campaigns will ramp up although clearly most people saw through them. We could however see some more violence from these vermin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭francois

The drop off in far right posting on X is quite noticeable. The bots, MAGA and Yaxley-Lennon fanbois naturally didn't translate into votes. Unfortunately a couple may get in, but in general they were humiliated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

No, it's, "everything far right I don't like".

They're not the same.

They'll just claim their supporters didn't vote as it's pointless voting as the usual parties always get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

When you consider that Dublin is the main population centre of the country and there were recently mini tent cities at the Grand Canal and in Hebert Park - prominent areas of the city - there is no way to make such an issue non-visible.

Mount Street was a little bit out of the way for most people…but Grand Canal?

If the news media tried to ignore the issue that would just move the discussion entirely to informal channels (e.g. social media).

Mass population movements are quite significant. I think everyone understands that regardless of how they feel about it.

"A mini tent city"? Hyperbole much? Does a mini tent city have a mini cathedral and mini college by any chance?

/end sarc

We've had tents in Dublin now for years. It started with homeless Irish people living on the canal. We have had a huge increase in people living in tents as they are now escaping warzones and the government in charge are still not doing enough to house people.

It's not the people's faults they're living in tents. No one is choosing to live that life. The government are trying to source them accommodation, but some b*stards keep burning the proposed accommodation down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

I've often seen the odd homeless person in a tent by the Grand Canal.

That's not the same thing as 200 tents springing up or whatever it is or was overnight.

My point is it's already highly visible publicly so the media can't entirely control how it's perceived. They can't disappear it by refusing to cover it.

• Advertisement

Read my LAST sentence of the post again …. what is called 'far right' is better defined as an irrational political obsession ….

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

What is the current situation with tents at the canal? Arw there any still there?

I am sure these scum will try and say their voters' ballots were taken out and not counted …. and the election was rigged … some of them are saying migrants are being bussed in to vote for govt parties …. basically copied from what the likes of Trump would say ….

These far right filth or irrational obsessive political fanatics to give them a better name are not even close to being as popular as they like to think …. they will spread all the lies and will focus on whatever issues come about …. in 2017/18 it was abortion ….. in 2019 it was turbines, pylons, solar panels …. then it was 5G …. Covid era it was masks and vaccines …. and now it is migrants and gays ….

You can bet they will engage in violence …. and other anti-social activity like setting fire to buildings and shouting abuse at politicians and employees doing a job they do not approve of …..

I would like to know who funds these guys …. the same people who fund Trump I would say …. a lot of big 'far right'/political obsessive US businessmen clearly are involved …. this Bob Mercer was mentioned in the past …. not sure if he is still there but he certainly has a successor ….

• Registered Users Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Whatever Maga/ Qanon lunacy happens to be trending in America these gobshites are sure to pick up on it. Libraries are satanic, everyone I dont like is a paedophile, the election was rigged etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

"I would like to know who funds these guys …. the same people who fund Trump I would say …. a lot of big 'far right'/political obsessive US businessmen clearly are involved …. this Bob Mercer was mentioned in the past …. not sure if he is still there but he certainly has a successor …."

Doncha know…its the unigovernment funds 'em. OWA is behind everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

While the public have largely rejected the far-right politically in the recent election, I think it's time for further action to tackle what this small but belligerent and dangerous group get up to. This article came up on my news feed during the week about how construction workers and even Gardai are being intimidated by 'anti-immigration' protesters in Clonmel.

https://tippfm.com/news/community/call-intimidation-abuse-clonmel-protest-addressed/

The phrase silent majority was used in the article and it sums up how I think people here, by and large, feel about these groups and their activities. Also this week we saw the horrible racist abuse of Rhasidat Adeleke and further online videos of foreigners being beaten up on Irish streets. It's also come to my attention that there's a 'citizen journalist' going around the streets of Dublin secretly recording black people as they go about their business, seemingly as evidence we're being used as a 'dumping ground'.

I'm aware knee-jerk legislation is rarely a good idea but I think we need to see this as a problem which isn't just going to go away by itself. I'd propose we need to push on with the hate bill (though perhaps re-assessed in some aspects), strengthen the offences against the state act to be more akin to modern domestic terrorism laws, and look at how we deal with harassment and intimidation of politicians, and the public, particularly around the use of mobile phone recordings in public places.

Some people take the argument that these are just the usual thugs and 'scumbags' doing what they always do. There might be a grain of truth in that but I think these people are more dangerous now, in that they're more organized and believe they have a cause, to defend Irish culture and housing rights. I'd also propose we need impartial public education measures on immigration. However you feel on the issue, I don't think any serious, reasonable political figure sees immigration as a simple issue, yet that's a big part of the narrative these groups are thriving on.

*Edit: To clarify, I'm not suggesting we try to limit the far-rights political freedoms. But I think that's how bringing in hate speech etc will be portrayed. From what I see these groups are very good at playing to a victim role. It's a tricky one because if a political message is inherently racist, how do you then tackle the harm the racist message does while not being accused of trying to silence this group.

I also realise I should have added a generic 'No' reponse in my poll. I can't edit, but if a mod could add it I'd really appreciate it.

Post edited by MegamanBoo on

The far right should be allowed to air their views in the same manner as anyone else. We're not going to defeat them with censorship and coercion.

Harassment, racism and threatening behaviour should never be tolerated though. We have the anniversary of Jo Cox's murder here in the UK this week. We know who the far right are, what they want and the violence they're all too often willing to use to get their way.

We need to beef up law enforcement at every level. Hiring more Gardaí is pointless if there's no prison space or judges to frustrate the justice process down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,941 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Trying to suppress attitudes only pushes them underground.

I'm a foreigner who doesn't look foreign: people frequently forget I'm foreign and so I've heard the "nicest" of people say some quite incredible things, that they wouldn't have said to the face of someone they recognised as foreign. I've also heard them say even worse thing about Travellers. Not sure that law changes will fix either of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

The far left are a much bigger issue imo that said they deserve a voice like anyone else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,905 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

They hang themselves with their own rope every time they speak. Leave them to it I say!

Advertisement