Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭babaracus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I thought some on here said Ms Headon looks after all the homeless in Dublin? I’d like some proof of that please as all I can see from all the video evidence over the last few weeks at Grand Canal is her helping asylum seekers. Over the same time she has been interviewed for Irish radio and tv, European news channels and UK news channels and it’s always to talk about asylum seekers.

Is she really a volunteer or is she getting paid to do what she does?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

That people who lie about one thing, will usually lie about another, I have found that to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Will0483

You're not a moderator so not sure why you think you can tell other people who or what can be discussed.

I could volunteer to throw rocks at random houses if i wanted. Should that not be discussed seeing as I was doing it in a voluntary capacity?

Not all activities are socially useful and encouraging and aiding illegal immigration should really be a crime not something that someone should be lauded for on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I think it very relevant to discuss how terribly anti-immigration candidates and their policies have fared elsewhere.

Or should we just bury our heads in the sand and pretend somehow things will be different here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Kingslayer

Why are some here so adamant that a certain volunteer should be completely off limits for discussion? She actively courts media attention, appears on tv nearly ever day and is fast becoming the poster child for the immigration crisis. Of course we should be allowed to discuss this certain volunteer.

The causes are complex but if you put 10,000 South Koreans in a city, you won't have any gang violence for sure.

The research on the topic often points to the breakdown of the African-American family with 70 per cent of children born to single mothers. The lack of strong male role models is an issue along with very low educational attainment in an economy that values formal education.

The same issues are present in London's gangland as are present in Chicago,New York,Rio de Janeiro and elsewhere. There's no point in ignoring it anyway regardless of the causes.

Skilled migrants who rent in Ireland are obviously competing for scarce houses especially as many work in Dublin or Cork. It's mad to say otherwise.

We have no reason to want to house half of Somalia. We do have a choice in the matter and I expect the Government to respond accordingly to the will of the people. Conditions are terrible in most of the 50 plus African Countries and are likely to get worse. If we import all their issues, Ireland will be no better than where they came from just with worse weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Trump’s charges in relation to hush money have absolutely nothing to do with the topic. I feel like this is another attempt at a smear by association. Trump has nothing to do with us

• Advertisement

There were tweets, that much is true. What has been highly fictionalized is the content and nature of those tweets.

We've been told many, many times in this thread that O'Gorman tweeted in multiple languages an open invite to the world promising 'own door' accommodation for IPA's arriving here.

In fact what what tweeted in multiple languages was the release of a white paper on a change of policy for IPA accommodation. The white paper was not translated. The white paper actually makes it clear that Ireland aspires to changing policy on IPA accommodation but that there are a number of challenges to doing so, particularly in relation to Ireland's housing crisis.

The development of a multi-strand accommodation approach is inherently more complex than that foreseen
    by the Advisory Group, which drew on an existing housing programme and on the resources and expertise of
    Local Authorities. The model proposed above will require multiple capital projects to be brought on stream. It
    will require support services to be commissioned from multiple organisations. It will also require programmes
    to be developed and coordinated nationally to stimulate community involvement. As such, it will require a
    significantly greater investment in staff, capital and project management resources than would have been
    anticipated by the model recommended in the Advisory Group Report. It will have to be undertaken at a time
    of continuing pressure on the housing market.
    Each of the strands proposed above carry risks. Capacity is potentially constrained in private tenancies. Urban
    renewal programmes are still small-scale in nature. The programmes involving Approved Housing Bodies, NGOs
    or hosting in the community will have to be developed from scratch.
    The inherent risks involved in the delivery of a multi-strand programme of this nature, where key elements
    will require to be developed, make it necessary to introduce an annual review mechanism to assess the
    ongoing feasibility of each strand. Such a review would also include structured feedback from current
    or recent applicants on their experience. If strands persistently fail to deliver the capacity needed to
    accommodate applicants, it will be necessary either to remove that strand from the model or to re-allocate
    the numbers across other strands. The annual review will also have to consider whether or not there are other
    accommodation strands that could be added to the model.
    See further discussion of risk in Chapter 8.

https://www.gov.ie/pdf/?file=https://assets.gov.ie/124757/ef0c3059-b117-4bfa-a2df-8213bb6a63db.pdf#page=0

I'd recommend you read chapter 8 for those further discussions on risk. It's made quite clear the proposed new model (which I believe is similar to what other EU countries offer) is aspirational, and based on arrival numbers of 3.5k per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I’m assuming this go-move-shift policy will have to be strengthened to prevent new camps appearing the following day after a clear out - however that’s not that simple- if you ban me from the canal I’ll go to the park- ban me from the park and I’ll go down the road to another green area- also there IS no accommodation available in the main for these people - they’ll be out of prison in a day if prosecuted due to over crowding there so that won’t work- probably better off setting up a camp in the phoenix park or somewhere- provide washing and toilet facilities, set up a food tent, surround it with railings and 24 hour security - these pop up camp sites aren’t going to stop- it’s only going to get worse- isn’t the figure about 600 a week coming from the UK via NI?

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/asylum-seekers-move-tents-to-ballsbridge-after-canal-space-gets-fenced-off/a1771497291.html

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭engineerws

"Heres an idea. What about if we had a kind of tiered Irishess"

That's a hard no from me. Fwiw, our family tree goes back to around 1500 in Ireland. Very strongly against an apartheid system in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The same point stands for facilitating mass migration and the consequent societal problems or should we just bury our heads in the sand and pretend somehow things will be different here?

We should start with the goal and benchmark best practices to achieve that goal, as far as I'm concerned that should be to minimise the arrival of random punters who have the wherewithal to fund travel across the world and the Danish Model is the benchmark. Any resources we have to help refugees should be directed at the most vulnerable, the ones in camps adjacent to active warzones, not the globetrotting scam artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

From what I understand, the tweets were aimed at asylum seekers already living in Direct Provision in Ireland, explaining that they wouldn't have to live in DP forever.

You could certainly argue that O'Gorman was a bit naïve in sending them and didn't realise they might be used against him much later on.

What's shown by the Trump case is yet another example of the type of grifter political figure who trades on anti-immigration tirades.

Closer to home we could look at Johnson or Truss and their disastrous leaderships, plenty more examples all around Europe.

I welcome debate on immigration but plenty of politicians deal in scaremongering or quick-fix promises to appeal to a populist mob. Witness Trump's reaction speech after being found guilty.

“You have a [George] Soros-backed DA and the whole thing. We didn’t do a thing wrong. I’m a very innocent man.”

He went on to blame the Biden administration. “This was done by the Biden administration in order to wound or hurt a political opponent. And I think it’s just a disgrace. And we’ll keep fighting, we’ll fight to the end and we’ll win because our country’s gone to hell. We don’t have a country anymore.

“We have a divided mess. We’re a nation in decline, serious decline. Millions and millions of people pouring into our country right now from prisons, and from mental institutions, terrorists, and they’re taking over our country. We have a country that’s in big trouble, but this was a rigged decision right from Day 1 from a conflicted judge who should have never been allowed to try this case. Never.”

https://deadline.com/2024/05/donald-trump-speech-guilty-verdicts-1235945241/

These politicians are treating a sector of the populace as mugs who'll vote for anyone who promises to fix an immigration 'crisis' which they have inflated and misrepresented.

No one's being imported. No issues are being imported. People are coming here of their own will, largely to escape desperate situations.

They will continue to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

If we were actually interested in helping Africans, the most cost-effective way would be to do it in their own country. If the all in annual cost of supporting a Somalian in Ireland was €20k, then you could support about 40x that number if they remained in their own country (Somalian GDP per capita is €500).

All the Danish model is doing is pushing people to their EU neighbours.

Where are the 3.5k people who disappeared from Danish camps in just three years?

https://unbiasthenews.org/living-in-fear-in-copenhagen-how-denmark-is-deliberately-infringing-on-the-rights-of-people-seeking-asylum/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Speaking of our Somali fisherman friend -

Sean Moncrieff was in Somalia late last year. The report was broadcast earlier this year. He met a woman and listened to how tough it was for her. It was seriously grim, the country is a kip. She hadn't a pot…things were bad, really bad. Sean innocently asked her via an interpreter how many children she had…a few seconds went by and the answer was 8

I switched off

Just had a scope on wiki -

Somalia's population is expanding at a growth rate of 1.75% per annum and a birth rate of 40.87 births per 1,000 people.[1] The total fertility rate of Somalia is 6.08 children born per woman (2014 estimates), the fourth highest in the world, according to the CIA World Factbook.[1]

And O'Gorman thought that sending out the invite directly to the Somalis (in their own language) to come to Ireland was a good idea

• Advertisement

They will continue to come but in future it will be only genuine AS who get to stay. Those who commit serious crimes can also be deported so we will have more control over both the quality and quantity of who gets to settle in Ireland. This current free for all is temporary.

They are paying thousands of Euro to move around a variety of EU countries to get the best deal. They're not desperate but are availing of our foolishness prior to developing a rational migration policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

regardless if those tweets where aspirational or not why did he tweet them on global platform? why not do a town hall meeting at the DP or issue a leaflet.

They went out to the world and I have no doubht they were interpreted as a country that was very liberal and possibly offering a better life.

Also coupled with the fact that we known as a soft touch to every trafficker in the northern hemisphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Bingo!

The path of least resistance applies to stopping illegal immigration. If we want to end it, we need only make it less attractive than other countries.

If other countries wish to have a loose policy on migration, that is one hundred percent their prerogative. We should accept that right, as they should accept ours.

I agree but I'm not sure if the current model of constantly giving aid to support exponential population growth is sustainable or desirable in any case. Nigeria alone is projected to have almost a billion people by the end of the century while populations decline everywhere outside Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

Scaremongering works on a politically naive public. The American electorate simply cannot be compared to the Irish. The American political system is laughable.

Indeed even the UK public are not as politically savvy and engaged as the Irish electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Expand it to the full EU, we owe random globetrotters nothing, let them try China and Russia, both facing demographic cliffs, let's see how they get on there.

Any resources should be targeted at the most vulnerable, not the most mobile and affluent relative to where they come from.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I often wonder why foreign aid to countries with massive birth rates doesnt include mass provision of injectible or implanted long term contraception. Vasectomy too.

Maybe there is a program like this. Maybe cultural norms are against it, Maybe numbers are needed in the absence of mechanisation. But not doing it is poor use of the massive foreign aid budget out there. IMO.

Anyway I'm out of the country for a bit, is Thornton Hall ready yet or will it be like the kids hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭twinytwo

It is always deflection with you isnt it?

As i recall you referred to the comments of a barrister, senior council and former attorney general in relation to proposed changes to the constitution as nonsense. Which given the information that came out after the vote, from both the AG and various government departments, proved him to be correct.

But obviously i must be wrong and your understanding of legislation and the constitution is vastly superior to that of Senator McDowell's. Maybe it is he who should apologise to you given your holier than thou attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,129 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I am convinced that NGO are telling the asylum seekers to group together and go the Ballsbridge . How would an newly arrived asylum seekers even know where to go or where Ballsbridge is ?

This wont go down well in Ballsbridge !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Quags

Advertisement