Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Cybertruck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

It’s also grand though for people to make assumptions about a person based on driving a particular car.

A Donegal reg BMW E92 with heavy modifications screams “lad who left school before the LC, peanut head, hangs out in Tesco car parks, loves eurohouse, not too clever, a menace on the roads.

If I saw someone driving a cyber truck in Ireland then I’d be thinking the owner is desperate for attention, thinks driving a hideous literal rust bucket gives him that, lot of “small dick energy”.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭creedp

Was behind one recently and consider they're kind of a decent looking car. Any comment on the driving experience?

I'll have to undertake a detailed research of the BYD CEOs character before I'd consider one though🤣

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I’d be afraid to post my opinion on the Seal as I’d be roasted as a musk supporter!

They are good and bad. Some things are better in the model 3 and others in the Seal. Very evenly matched and which one you choose will really be based on your personal choice.

Seal wins for:
    Interior space.
    CarPlay/android auto if you use it. I have it in the 530e and don’t use it so very personal.
    I think the seal looks a bit more aggressive. I like that.
    Warranty as posted by another poster is longer.

Model 3 wins for :

Performance.

Handling

UI (for me essentially means CarPlay etc are irrelevant)

Ranger service

Efficiency when you want it

App (although the bus updates are making this tighter every day)

storage space, especially the boot suits me with my “equipment” that I carry. But again, personal.

Performance for me on the seal was laggy, I don’t like the large Centre console and the reach under area.

Comfort wise they are both similar. Quality of interior materials are evenly matched. Nobody can say one is premium over the other IMO.

Would I cry if I had a seal AWD, no. Would I cry if I had an M3 AWD, no.

Basically drive both and buy what suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭larry1

Amazing piece of kit. I visited a friend in West Palm Beach Florida a few weeks back and he picked up his new one while I was there (after almost 5 year wait). Whilst visually I understand why people mightn't like it (I love it!), the interior and driving experience is just Wow! I drove it for over an hour on various different roads and it is just a fantastic ride as they Stateside. Pic of me beaming attached 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The absolute state of that metal, awful. Just an epically ugly vehicle, Musk trying to recreate the iconic DMC-12 and just recreating its failed construction instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭creedp

Thanks for the detailed comparison. For me the M3 advantages are what I place most emphasis on so on that basis the M3 wins for the time being. I'd be thinking though my wife could have a different view. Luckily she's knows nothing about the Seal for now

I’d still drive the seal. And let her drive it too. You never know, she might prefer one over the other.

Post edited by Gumbo on

• nicely timed trip, not many will get that opportunity.

BTW your contribution sums up this thread, after 10 years of posts we finally get a real life experience on the topic of the thread in question where a poster has driven the CT. Usual few posters continue spouting rubbish about unrelated cars (including their 5x daily name drop that they own a 530e) and don’t even acknowledge your on topic post. You couldn’t make it up. Spoofers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,558 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

can we get back to piling on the cybertruck?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,558 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

every time i see the cybertruck logo i assume it was designed by a 15 year old who likes writing their name in a death metal font.

which probably is not too far off a description of musk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I know the saying most punters didn't know an M5 from a 520D. So no one was saying that about someone in an M5.

Most Joes couldn’t tell the difference between a 520d and an M5.

I don’t understand the hate 🤷

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mod Note: Sniping at each other posts removed, stick to the topic, if you want to snipe at each other don't do it on threads.

Cheers, my friend moved mountains with his Tesla rep to ensure it all fell into place for my arrival. The attention the CT gets is off the radar. West Palm Beach is a wealthy area with Ferrari's and Lambo's etc everywhere but the CT interest was incredible, it was like a magnet. I stopped at a set of traffic lights and 2 guys appeared at the window doing a live Instagram video 😂

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Like a Hummer in Ireland, it will always draw attention. Some will like it, some won’t. That’s life.

No one likes the hummer bar the owner. Which is why there's a handful.

I don't make the rules.

But again some like the spectacle on themselves 🤷

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

this beats the cybertruck at its own aesthetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Apart from the less than expected range the Cybertruck seems to get almost uniform thumbs up for everybody that have actually driven it. It's not boring so thumbs up from me too. The product really seem to be triggering as seen in thread. Seems almost exclusively by the same folk who appear are not to be the biggest Mr. Musk fans.

The functional design of the vehicle appears solid apart from the sharp edges of panels that can actually injure you. I don't get that particular design. I'm sure the edges will eventually be made safe with some additional improvements in production.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭eagerv

it was like a magnet.

Haha, it does look a bit like a big magnet.

For the record, I am neutral re the CT. Each to their own.

Nope, the yanks love it especially the Floridians.

Many like the hummer. Hence the sales I suppose. I’ve no issue with it.

lad where i worked started driving into work in a dodge ram; this was over 20 years ago. went on for about two weeks before facilities got on to him and told him he was not allowed to any more, the thing was so big it took up two parking spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

the Cybertruck seems to get almost uniform thumbs up for everybody that have actually driven it

I don't know man, the group of people who have driven a Cybertruck and talk about having done so is almost exclusively people who wanted to love it before they even set foot near it.

It's like saying Jim Jones is beloved by everyone who drank his poisoned kool-aid.

You especially see this in the countless examples of people who picked up their new Cybertruck, drove for 5 minutes, and then the thing died. Most of the men involved come up with a set of utterly delusion rationalisations for why their 6-figure car is a heap of **** under the hood—the most common one being "oh that's the price you pay being an early adopter"

You don't hear bad reports about the Cybertruck because the people who are the target audience to buy them won't ever admit that they're bad. But if you look at the sheer number of rose-tinted failure reports objectively, it's clear that the thing is really shoddily put together.

It would not be a new Tesla product if the build quality did not suck at the beginning. And nothing brings more clicks than a "TESLA PROBLEM!!!!!!". It really sounds like a product that was brought to the market before it was ready and many owners definitely wanted to be the first to have one before anybody else. This has applied to all of their new models apart from perhaps the Y so should not be a huge surprise that the quality is patchy at the start if you know how they have operated in the past.

But doesn't take away from the fact that it has good bones: The engineering of the drivetrain and battery is solid and well thought out, it is very agile for its size due to the 4WS digital steering, and the design is non-boring (=devisive). Once the workers learn to build them properly and most of the glaring problems, which there are a good few, are fixed and recalled it will be good owner experience.

There is no way in hell I would ever even consider buying one. They are total opposite of what I'd like but doesn't stop me liking how it's designed. Driving one here in Ireland would be the worst ever experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Mine had no problem with the GMC Sierra, lifted Ford F250 & Chevy Suburban 2500 I often drove to work. Have a very funny photo on the bookface of the F250 parked beside a cincequento. We took two spots… but mine was 1.5 of the 2!

It won't be built properly because I can guarantee it's next on the chopping block. They'll learn from it and maybe do some sensible vehicle that's more linear with their other 3 vehicles.

Cybertruck is not a permanent fixture. I'd say theyve pissed money on it.

• Advertisement

Advertisement