Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog wheelchair

Options
  • 31-05-2024 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi all,

Finding it really hard to source a large dog wheelchair in Ireland for my 12 year old dog who's really struggling in the hind legs due to arthritis, but is otherwise healthy and happy.

Thought maybe due to the nature of the product, I might be able to find some wheels on a marketplace type site, but finding little to none, especially in a bigger size. Any for sale are coming from the UK and you have to make prior contact regarding shipping costs,etc. and it's taking a while to just hear back.

Just wondering if anyone had any intel or info around this. Would it be worth reaching out to local vets/shelters/animal charities? Or putting an ask out on social media?

And of course if anyone has any available or knows of any, I'm super interested!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭con747

• Registered Users Posts: 40 rainbowmoose

Thanks for the quick response!

Yes, it's one of the first places I checked - there seems to really only be one large enough option with the big sized wheels (the red wheeled ones)

There isn't really any reviews on any of those and a possible month+ delivery time, so I was just checking out if there were any other options out there

The one good thing with Amazon is the returns policy so if you got it and it wasn't suitable you can just send it back.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Very true. Might order anyway to just have something on the way, and keep the feelers out too for anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭JVince

Unless it's faulty you pay the return fee. The chances are its to the UK, so its expensive.

I'd certainly ask the vet for advice especially for size and then read reviews so that chances of return are small.

This seems to be one that may do.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KHUY-Wheelchair-Upgraded-Rehabilitation-Harness/dp/B08MDZZRCQ?th=1

• Advertisement

That's why you say it's faulty when returning it. Unethical but I think Jeff can handle that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Or, not as described…

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I've ordered one or two off Amazon for clients to use on a short term basis.

I have this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005FALBEE/ref%3Dppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1 which is currently out of stock but so far has done two German Shepherds and is currently used on a Dobie. I know there are similar ones on Amazon but not the same brand, and I cannot account for them.

I also have this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MF7DP5H?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1 for a Chihuahua, so I can't say for sure how well the large chairs hold up. The one I have is pretty solid.

However, for longer term use, I would really recommend Walkin' Wheels. There are UK stockists https://wheels4dogs.co.uk/ and https://zoomadog.co.uk/products/138-walkin-wheels-dog-wheelchair where you could send to an AddressPal address, or if you're anywhere near the north, use one of the drop off centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,041 ✭✭✭✭tk123

We had WalkinWheels. My dog could still walk (so we never used the stirrups) but he needed some extra support and took to them straight away. I added front wheels when I felt he needed them. They gave him a new lease of life and confidence. Everyone stops to ask you about them.. which he loved so he could talk to them lol. We did have a buggy too for longer walks with our other dog or to places he was liked walking but was too far for him to get there walking. The buggy is also a fantastic option to consider. I bought the rear walkin wheels from a friend and then when I added front wheels I used Wheels4dogs.co.uk and sent to OOHPod.. after I had used OrtoCanis and they messed up my order and were a nightmare to deal with so avoid - the customer service reviews are true!

Post edited by tk123 on

Thanks so much for the responses, lads.

Took the plunge with the Walkin Wheels from the UK - it's still early days, small walks and trying to get the frame adjusted to suit her perfectly, but so far so good! She's eager to go for a walk and wants to do more than I let her, but it does tucker her out ☺️

Delighted I gave it a shot because no matter what happens going forward I'll know I tried everything. I would have always wondered if she would have taken to the wheels if I didn't give it a go. The wheelchair is worth every penny to see her tail go 90 when I bring it out.

Wish it was more commonplace in Ireland instead of putting beloved pets down due to lameness despite otherwise good health. This experience has been a huge eyeopener around that. The fact that we can only import the wheels from the UK and no suppliers in Ireland just cements that mentality. I understand the wheels are (totally understandably) too much of an expense for most, but if they were more readily available it might help lower the price too.

Would loveeee to get a charity or something going around this, like "Pumpkin and friends" in the UK. The wheels have been a game changer for my pet (and my mental health too) ❤️ thanks again everyone!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 14,041 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Just be careful with the wheels if you’re walking beside a wall/railings etc as they’ll do a wheelie and tip them 🫣 i used to cross the straps across his back in case I needed to lift him back up. If you look at the top of the black part at their hips where you have 2 notches on one side and one on the other… you’re supposed to have the single notch between the two on the other side.. you can line the single notch up with the back notch and kick the wheels back a bit to start off with - that’s what I did with Baileys. Also you can use shower caps on the wheels when you’re storing them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Not quite on topic, but have you considered using an animal physiotherapist OP?

Advertisement