Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gript-A source of misinformation. **Read OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

If you really want to go down a rabbit hole you can check out their defence of Jimmy Saville. It’s not an allegation, it’s a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭CarProblem

yeah lets only talk about misinformation if it's in a publication going against the narrative we espouse while reading the IT, Indo, Guardian etc with absolutely not a hint of self awareness

Gript is a source of misinformation but the likes of the above, censoring Ashling Murphy's boyfriend, Kitty Holland basically saying hacks journalists know best on what should/shouldn't be reported etc. is A-OK.

I posted the following earlier in the thread, probably worth repeating

"Has Gript an agenda? Yes I would say so

Has pretty much every media organisation an agenda? Yes I would say so also

But a lot of posters appear to have the hump not over Gript having an agenda, simply with Gript having an agenda that's different to theirs........"

Gript must be doing something right if the usual suspects are getting so animated over a publication they claim not to even read. Like lot of things we see a mix of "its dangerous extremism" but at the same time it's "tiny and irrelevant". Which is it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Exactly. Funny how nobody asked for evidence when they accused RTE and the Irish Times of mendacity. One rule for Spiked and Grift and one for everything else.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭concerned_tenant

Well, as it's not the topic of the thread, I shouldn't.

All I did find were some "edgy" articles by Brendan O'Neill, a man who deliberately takes a provocative stance for the sake of clicks and shares and debate. This is particularly true of moral issues. I don't take those articles seriously because they shouldn't be taken seriously. They are no different to Katie Hopkins or Milo Yiannopolous for that matter; the means are the same. Peter Hitchens borderline crosses into that category, too.

They're effectively well-paid, well-lettered trolls.

The same applies to Gript or any other news outlet.

Each has their own journalists or editors who write provocative pieces for the sake of it. Not all writers, but some. It's practically their day job to court controversy. I sometimes find it humorous at times how many people take their word seriously, as if the writer legitimately believes what they are saying.

They don't. It's falling for their trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Barbara Hewson, their most prominent commentator on the topic. She made a point of downplaying sexual abuse. Even went as far as calling for the age of consent to be reduced to 13. In generally they seemed to oppose any inquiry into coverups by BBC etc. Also pretty sure they've removed a fair few articles but even the two I'm linking here are pretty bad.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2013/05/08/yewtree-is-destroying-the-rule-of-law/

https://www.spiked-online.com/2012/10/24/the-savile-inquiries-giving-truth-a-bad-name/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭concerned_tenant

I don't believe either of those articles justify the conclusion that the other poster made; that the news organization actively "supports child molesters". To the contrary, the authors appear to be attempting to nuance what is often a very complex, variable and difficult subject. Age of consent varies across European countries massively, even today. The subject doesn't have an exact correct answer.

But all of that is besides the point at this stage.

Gript, to date at least, doesn't attempt to seriously address this kind of subject matter. Perhaps if or when they do, I can go into this subject in more detail.

I'm also not of the conclusion that even if a publisher releases controversial article(s) (however we define that), that this discredits the organization on the whole, forever. That seems to be a wholly simplistic take, at the very minimum; a kind of smear by association tactic to distract away from any other, legitimate content the publisher produces on a more regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,307 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

Barbara Hewson used to appear on BBC Radio 4's Woman Hour - and she was in turn defended in the Irish Independent and The Spectator when criticised for that article.

Media people defend other media people. They're all in the same industry together.

In this case it seems to have acutally been Spiked's industry connection to the BBC - at least in part - which had them defending Saville.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

"Even went as far as calling for the age of consent to be reduced to 13."

And where was she when she did that? She was appearing on BBC2's Daily Politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I wouldn't be a huge fan of McGuirk (disagree with him on his Israel stance for example), but in fairness to the guy, he has tried to call out a lot of the BS of the Irish far right on social media this week and has gotten a lot of pushback for it. One suspects many people who read the Gript website are at the more extreme end of the right wing scale and he's quite conscious of this.

• Advertisement

He platformed Derek Blight (sic) only the other day.

Mealy-mouthed McGuirk talks out of both sides of his gob

For sure, but it's quite possible he is struggling a bit with the more extreme elements of his Irish readership and followers - some of them seem much further to the right than even the BNP and Britain First in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Plus as a person who has encountered him in a personal capacity, he's a bit devoid of basic decency on the average day.

This has probably been shared before but it's quite something (won't let me post pic?)

https://x.com/ThePhoenixMag/status/984775741282881536

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Didn't realise he has such a 'colourful' past. Seems he is a political chameleon and has changed his party allegiance multiple times : was a member of both FF and FG in the past and was helping out the Greens at one point. The article claims he had the reputation of being something of a maverick and troublemaker in those parties : it does beg the question as to what he really believes in. Is even the current right wing populist stuff just another caper to promote himself and to make himself relevant and popular?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Actually enjoying these series of podcasts, and listening to voices I otherwise wouldn't get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,446 ✭✭✭corkie

https://gript.ie/cynthia-nimhurchus-very-silly-war-on-elon-musk/

JOHN MCGUIRK: Far from sounding like a refreshing breath of air for the political system, Fianna Fáil's Cynthia Ni Mhurchu is managing to sound like the worst kind of cynical political hack on the campaign trail, to her detriment.

Good article, I wonder will they feature her in their 'Meet the Candidates' series?

She is also reportedly a barrister!?

Edit: - The tiktok content video about X and Musk has since been taken down today. I thought I shared a link to it in another post on site. Found a screen edited version on twitter, once you post something online very hard to get down again. Under @Andy66202501

Post edited by corkie on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Would you rather the mainstream media's idea that only people and views they agree with are platformed?

Would it be better to hear the views of these people and debate them, actually argue against them with facts and reason?

Nah it is better to just label them as scum and not let them near the media.

Except these days the media is not just little old RTE, the Irish Times and Independent.

No matter how much some people scream about the far right, how much anyone seen as remotely right wing are labelled scum, how much people call those that platform them scum, they aint going away.

It is like how those that protest are labelled scum, far right, fascists, idiots for falling for far right ideas, they are not going away. The numbers are growing.

It is time the government, the mainstream parties, the media started copping on and really listening.

I keep saying this around here and it appears to be totally lost on some people.

You are just pushing people to the the real right.

It has been done through out Europe and Ireland will be no different.

How fooking hard is that to grasp?

Keep fooling yourselves that Ireland is going to be different.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 40,099 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Calm down. It's a racist god bothering blog with questionable financial backing.

There is lads on Youtube with infinitely more subscribers knocking out basic DIY videos.

I know you are scared, but we will be grand.

👍️

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

If I somehow needed more proof that Grift is nothing but a blog with notions and dirty foreign money, it's trotting out a pathetic title like that.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

https://gript.ie/the-women-for-election-you-probably-wont-see-on-rte/

Úna McGurk, Independent, EU candidate for Ireland South

"I am a strong advocate for Freedom of Speech having done a number of interviews, and created videos on the subject matter of our Hate speech and Hate crime laws. I also have a concern about any potential abuse of the Digital Services Act, and I believe that when I am elected, and a member of the European Parliament, I will be in a stronger position to monitor that."

Glad to see someone publicly make a statement on the issue, I have been asking candidates, I asked on her old twitter account that very question and asked would she monitor it. (Old account was hacked).

I asked about 8 candidates the same question, and Only she and another candidate responded to the query.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,765 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Its a smart move from that religious lunatic - she knows a lot of Gript readers are Twitter addicts. Irish flags in their bios etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,807 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

I asked in the other thread, and Im going to ask again - What "service" do the Irish people receive for funding the National Womens Council of Ireland to the tune of millions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

• Registered Users Posts: 28,963 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Aware of that! Just strange she used the Exact terminology, I used in my question! She hasn't a hope of becoming an MEP. I mentioned her poor google history in another thread. And @The Nal said reaching a target audience of twitter addicts.

• Advertisement

According to their own website, they have only 22 employees (I have no idea whether this represents value for money of if they do a good job).

Advertisement