Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Cian Madden in the starting line up so was it idle rumours that he’d walked? Ryan O’Neill in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

Presume James Smith will be back out around the middle….

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭mogue77

no Conor Brady?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭tazman06

Ryan O'Neill back. Still no McVeety. Thought Cormac O'Reilly was worth a shot at starting

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blue47

How badly injured is Killian Clarke?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭mylestheslasher

He's injured 50% of the time and other 50% he's coming back from injury. Seems like type of fella that should step away and sort himself out. It's not like he's been tearing up trees in these matches.

Gowna have posted online that him & Conor Madden are missing due to injury. Like you say, I think it’s time for Conor to follow his Killygarry namesake and step away for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Can't make it to Breffni tonight. So I have a couple of tickets available free to a good home for anyone who wants them.

Shocking stuff from Cavan. Do we work on kick outs at training at all??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭benjy1000

worst ever.

Galligan will have to go & get hyland in for the Roscommon game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Yip pretty dismal alright

We've no business in the Sam Maguire

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Custard_Cream

Ray " give it a lash" Galligan..

no tactics, no plan, no clue.

Accurate.

A half arsed press on Dublin kickout which I think we won one kick out in whole match. 1st half what the hell were we at on our own kick out? Kick the ball in Fentons direction, unbelievable. Then go man to man with them at the back - insane. Our players also not tracking runs the whole match, goal just after half time was like u12 stuff. truly embarrassing stuff and look at how louth brought something to their game with Dublin in Croke park. Just awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭rrs

Dublin got 5 goals and missed another 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭etuzyuk

Dublin left a lot after them all right. We were terrible on kickouts too. Game went pretty much as I'd feared although maybe the goals came a little easier than I'd have wished. Plus we probably got more joy up front than I was expecting, although given that they never came out of 2nd gear, I'm not sure how much of a positive that was.

The thing I'm probably most disappointed with though is our decision making up front. You're playing Dublin, if you get in on goal at all you have to go for a 3 pointer. And especially if you're 12 points down that's a no f***ing brainer. But no, we fist it wide. Christ on a bike!!!! No wonder we don't score much goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭piplip87

Im not reading too much into today. We were playing against a team with some all time greats of the game involved. Very lucky there wasn't another ten in it come the end.

We are in a group with two teams far better than us. It was always a likely scenario. The Monaghan and Tyrone games gave us some confidence but they are the worst Monaghan and Tyrone teams in about 10 years.

Put up a good showing against Roscommon and hope a few late bloomers appear during the club championships and go again next year.

I do think the league is a better competition than this all Ireland series and we really need to focus on that next year,.we won't improve unless we can get to playing the Mayo's' Kerrys' and Dublin's on a regular basis.

We’re in a group with three teams far better than us. Going on Roscommon’s displays against Dublin and Mayo, they’re a good five to six points better than us.

Look, Galligan does have credit in the bank from keeping us in Division 2 and beating Monaghan but the wheels are coming off the wagon quickly.

I don’t know what he can possibly do in two weeks to stop the rot. We’ve too many wides, look open at the back and our conditioning doesn’t look near the standard of Division 1 teams.

I know Galligan’s inexperienced but Eamonn Murray has sounded like he has his head screwed on when I’ve heard him and then Burke is apparently very good so I thought he’d have the right team behind him.

It was very lightweight Cavan panel yesterday.. Jason. McLaughlin,Martin Reilly, Gearoid Mckiernan, Dara McVeety, Clarke, Paddy Lynch not involved from last year Squad for different reasons.

Dublin beat Cavan as Ulster champions by 15 . At least back then Cavan had some confidence, but weren't going to be beating Dublin

I'm not suggesting we have players that could go out an beat Dublin, we were always going to lose that game. But I do expect that we would have some sort of gameplan to give it our best shot. It's also worrying how the form of Faulkner, Gerrt Smith, Holla and few others has dropped of a cliff in the last 2 games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Has the date, venue, throw in time for cavan v roscommon being confirmed yet?

Yeah I knew you weren't. They should have been more solid defensively, and at least got to half time with a chance of competing

Cavan were slack with some of the handpassing and kick passing which you can't do against Dublin.

I think it’s on in two weeks but exact details won’t be out until Tuesday.

The Ulster Championship is rushed off, and then a 2 week break between the games in All Ireland series. Counties like Cavan and Meath would want the season over, then waiting another 2 weeks.

You’d have to look back at the tenure of Graham again and think why were we down in Division 4 particularly and not giving more minutes to players? That we played an entire Division 4 campaign, including drubbing Waterford when promotion was already guaranteed, and didn’t even give another keeper a few minutes is an absolute disgrace.

Looking back through some of the teams from those games, we were playing the basement of football and giving playing time to lads in their 30s who were already proven.

Galligan has inherited a team depending on lads who were all 30 this year - Faulkner, C Brady, Gerry, McVeety - or older - McLoughlin, Clarke, K Brady. It doesn’t bode well at all and fair play to those lads for continuing to go to the well when others have walked away.

Our only hope of even putting any sort of display in against the Rossies is if the cavalry get back - perhaps it’s blind hope but I’m still hoping that a lot of the injured lads weren’t too bad but Ray had the sense to keep them for the game it was always going to come down to.

Was it 4 players who made their championship debut against Dublin? Liam Brady, Mark Magee, Paddy Meade and Darragh Lovett?. It showed the panel was light on experience,.

I'm sure it is the case that lads with any sort of niggle were held back. Let's hope he held back his game plan too!

There's no two ways about it, when we see the lads you mention finish up we will be doing extremely well to maintain our Div2 status. In fairness to them they owe Cavan nothing given the service they've put in.

We probably focus too much on senior team. The underage is where the real crisis is. Hopefully our minors can win the B competition but that's not where you'd want to see them. Imperative we get top coaches in the development squads and those underage teams for next season.

The part re top coaches for development squads is not going to happen. All available funds are being put into the Polo Grounds and what happens on the pitch is being neglected.

What is the story with Caoimhin McGovern? I know he was sick but I thought he got the all clear and was back playing. For a lad rushed into the team when he was only 17 vs Kildare in 2020, I find it strange he’s still absent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

Maybe he is happy enough playing club football you would imagine if he was interested he would be in there.

• Advertisement

He was on the panel at the start of the year for the McKenna Cup. I think they cut the panel then for the League.

Advertisement