Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2024 (Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

Thats an attitude that will encourage the development of the game !!

Just play off Munster with Kilkenny and forget about the development of the sport outside of its traditional areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

'Fedex Park' would immediately become the common name if it was given the sponsorship. Everyone knows 'Fedex'. It easier say 'SuperValu Park' ..rather than the longer version of the name. I guarantee you 99% of people don't know or care that the Musgrave family own Supervalu or are indeed Irish.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 26,068 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ah ya the usual shte about Munster snobbery.

It's not me or the Munster fans who stuck their noses up to a great Leinster championship.

How many were at a do or die game between 2 very well populated counties in Salthill this weekend ?

Was there any Leinster game that would have been considered to have had a good crowd this year. 1 maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

I can't imagine that the narrative in the media and which filtered into online discussions etc. before and in the early stages of the championship that the Leinster Championship was going to be a procession for two teams helped whet the appetite of supporters

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Montys return

That's no excuse for Salthill on Sunday, or the opening day in Wexford park which we thought would be winner takes all.

• Advertisement

Agreed, I just think that the poor promotion of the Leinster Championship against the backdrop of the massive hype surrounding the Munster Championship may have been one of the multiple factors involved

Well Munster is a procession for Limerick and Clare but the fans still showed up 🤣

There is no excuse for not being able to come close to filling some of the stadia in Leinster given their size.

Or maybe there is hype for Munster because of the fans rather than there being fans because of the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Gisele

Agree with this especially when Offally can sell out the u20 final………………………..

I'm a fan of the Munster Championship, it's great and deserves the hype it gets. The Leinster Championship could have done with better promotion, it's already not as good as the Munster Championship so not as appealing and it being pitched as a foregone conclusion this year did not help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,775 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I looked it up there apparently the GAA have been testing players since 2001!

https://www.gaa.ie/my-gaa/players/anti-doping

"Since 2001, the GAA have been drug testing players as part of an agreement with Sport Ireland and their policy to cooperate with the international anti-doping campaign administered by the World Anti-Doping Association (WADA). The GAA believes that doping is contrary to the spirit of sport and every member has a duty to ensure that Gaelic Games are free of doping.

There are many facets to Anti-Doping and it is a complex issue that is constantly evolving. All GAA members are subject to the Anti-Doping Rules as adopted by Sport Ireland, therefore the GAA urges all members to read and understand the Anti-Doping Rules and to understand their responsibilities under the rules. The consequences of not adhering to Anti-Doping Rules can be severe for both players and their support personnel such as coaches and parents."

But the ESRI did a study in 2019 and found only 7% of 18 -21 year olds were tested.

75% overall were never tested.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/three-quarters-of-gaa-players-never-tested-for-drugs-1.4117333

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭randd1

There's a strong argument there, that with 35 teams competing in inter-county hurling..

• 5 divisions of 7 teams (say on this years form the 5 Munster counties and Kilkenny/Dublin)..
    • with each team playing each other home/away (12 games each)..
    • with the top four into AISF's (1v4 and 2v3) and bottom team relegated..
    • with separate cup competition based on provincial/backdoor setup in place prior to round robin format

that hurling would be more rounded.

A bit cutting off your nose to spite your face, but would it work? Probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭randd1

And yet a fraction of that Offaly crowd will be at the Joe McDonagh Cup final.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Leinster has too much gap between the top sides and the lower sides needs more jeopardy, and teams yo-yoing isn't helping them. The round robin isn't working for Leinster the way it is for Munster. It needs something different to be able to sell to hurling fans in Leinster. Leinster needs a more cut-throat championship.

Leinster needs to go to two groups of 4. Top side of each group into SF's, 2v3 in direct knockout QF's (losers leave championship), bottom teams in relegation playoff. SF's to get to the Leinster final, losers into 3rd place playoff, with loser of that gone from championship.

It would probably mean that the Joe McDonagh Cup won't be a part of the championship, but in all honesty, with one result apart, it's mostly been a turkey shoot that adds nothing to the championship.

Either way, Leinster needs more jeopardy in it. Relying on a yo-yo team to get a result to liven it up every second year isn't going to work forever.

Although the Leinster council getting off it's ar5e and actually promoting and developing the game into a competitive state in the province would also be handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭bren2001

Leinster needs to go to two groups of 4. Top side of each group into SF's, 2v3 in direct knockout QF's (losers leave championship), bottom teams in relegation playoff. SF's to get to the Leinster final, losers into 3rd place playoff, with loser of that gone from championship.

That's not really any extra jeopardy. The top two teams in each group would be KK/Dub and Gal/Wex (for example). The only game that matters then in the group is Seed 1 v Seed 2 and even then, the team that loses will still almost certainly have a shot in the play offs.

I can't think of a better system than the current one. Losing against any one of the top sides can mean something.

Joe McDonagh teams deserve their shot at the AI just as much as the established folk. Otherwise it's not the All Ireland if it any given year there isn't a qualification route for a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭Rosita

It's not the embracing of the sponsor I'm talking about (even though what I wrote suggests that), more the determination among some to refuse to acknowledge the Páirc Uí Chaoimh part of the name since it's been the actual name for 40+ years or however long it's there.

I imagine the Ó Chaoimh family also have reasonable bona fides in Cork and Ireland at a broader level yet many seem to want to marginalise the name. I don't hear UMPC park or FBD park being used for abbreviate purposes. In fact Kilkenny got the under 20 final there because of the person it's name after.

But many seem to have grasped the shilling with both hands in the case of Cork. I had assumed at the start it was a few smart arses trying to belittle the ground and its traditional name and to emphasise the fact that Cork initially wanted to get rid of the old name. But it's interesting to hear an actual rationale. It's a shame really if the memory of those who built the GAA is indeed for sale.

There was an assumption That Limerick, Clare and Cork were nailed on in Munster. And it's the same final for the third successive year so lack of novelty has not stopped the crowds coming in Munster yet at least.

If you actually believe the last sentence why do you not include the Nicky Rackard and Lory Meagher teams?

I would. I'd include a qualification route for every team. Just incredibly unlikely to ever get a team to get through.

Fair enough, but the idea that Offaly, Fermanagh, or Cavan, deserve a crack at the McCarthy Cup as much as Kilkenny or Clare is flawed since they are essentially playing a different grade with a promotion option for them if they are good enough. It's a recipe for needless extra games and serious turley-shoots. Just wait and see what Cork do to the Joe McDonagh team when they meet.

Fair enough, but the idea that Offaly, Fermanagh, or Cavan, deserve a crack at the McCarthy Cup as much as Kilkenny or Clare is flawed 

Look at equivalent cup competitions in other sports. The FA cup is everyone (for example). There is a route down to the lowest leagues for them to get in. KK, Clare, Waterford etc would be competing for more spots in the AI series. They have a far higher chance of making an AI SF.

Having the winners of the Nicky Rackard & Lory Meagher play off against the Joe McDonagh finalists with the winner progressing to the preliminary QFs is a pretty reasonable view. Every year there should be a route for every team to win it. It's the All Ireland, not the "selected counties of Ireland cup". The bigger counties are seeded and only have to get out of a group. Where exactly is the flaw? Its 1 extra set of fixtures for the non-elite teams.

Cork will hammer whoever is there. No doubt about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Knockdromin

I don’t believe some have grasped just how massive the difference is between McDonagh Cup and Meagher Cup team. Meagher Cup teams wouldn’t come within 30 points of a McDonagh team or 50 points of. McCarthy team.

You’re talking about counties with no more than 5 adult club teams in some cases.

And I don’t understand the notion that McDonagh Cup teams deserve their shot at the All Ireland - they literally already have that opportunity? Get to the final and they enter the All Ireland championship at the pre quarter final stage.

The tiered structure is great. Look through the lists of finals since the Ring, Rackard, Meagher and McDonagh Cups were introduced and note how many counties have won national titles and played in the finals.

I didn’t suggest putting the McDonagh teams directly in the AI. How it’s currently structured is fine. People were suggesting removing that pathway ie a Joe McDonagh win wouldn’t get you in the play off against the 3rd placed teams.

It was then a specific question that suggested my logic would extend to the lower ranked teams. It does. It wouldn’t get much, if any support and changes sfa about the actual championship. Including them in the AI doesn’t remove the tiered natured. It would literally be the champions getting in just like the JMD teams do. It’s not gonna happen and there’s no point in discussing it really.

The discussion is really about whether the JMD teams should continue being included. In that, yeah, they should imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

They just can’t get enough of that sweet sweet money.

A family of 4 will cost €400, RIP OFF IRELAND

Yeah, if your rich or don’t have rent to pay

No. That has nothing to do with it. Look at the price of other finals in other sports that can attract 80k people to it. 100 quid a ticket is cheap by todays standards.

100e is nothing for a final but the really annoying thing is the GAA dont stagger ticket prices. It shouldn't be 100 for centre of Cusack and top corner of Davin.

Every other organisation has price bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭C4000

It's a very reasonable price compared to other sports and events. Coldplay tickets for Croke Park are going for 300 or 400 euro for example. I'd happily pay much more than that to go to an all Ireland if Limerick were in it.

Aren’t they all professional sports teams & highly athletes though?

• Advertisement

Why can fans of professional teams afford more ?

Do those fans not have a cost of living crisis ?

Advertisement