Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 LimaBravoTango

I believe that there’s a further two to be delivered next year but am open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭sherology

I thought that also... But could be getting lost in noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

There’s only two on the order books assigned to Aer Lingus, they were ordered in November with deliveries due this summer so that’s NSE and NSF, the pair currently on the flight line in Toulouse.

As these orders come from the IAG pool, the delivery slots aren’t much of an issue so there’s plenty of time for a top up order with deliveries by next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Lockheed

That is your personal experience, and anyway, realistically only one indication of route success. No idea how much that aircraft is costing to operate or how much the seats were sold for, as well as the impact that Aer Lingus pulling out has had on the market.

The aircraft are genuinely better utilised on other routes - such as the overnight in FCO, additional CDG rotations, new sun destinations in Italy, Turkey and Greece and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭crisco10

sample size of 1, but pre pandemic I did enough London day trips to maintain platinum on aerclub. (And I used other airlines as well).

Since pandemic, I can’t even maintain silver.

Instead of travelling for most customer meetings, I travel for 1 in 10 now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Confirmed that the 2nd XLR wont be in the green according to a secret (not really staff email) that its not happening due to "continuing uncertainty in our financial structure". Management still not owning their decisions.

I am just going to put it out there, EI will be all (or mostly) Boeing within 10 years with a mixture of 73M and 788/9's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I wouldn’t bet against it! Maybe not the 73’ but I can see 78’s alright! Boeing were in Shamrock House more than once last year and to quote someone I was speaking to regarding it, they made a “compelling case”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭trellheim

what, redo the entire fleet from Airbus to Boeing when there isnt a single Boeing left in the fleet

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Qaanaaq

I agree on the 787's being the right aircraft to replace the A330's but not so sure on the 737. Unless they are for a separate EI division such like BA Euroflyer, Lufthansa City, IB Express, SAS connect, KLM Cityhopper. But any attempt to set something like this up would cause even bigger internal conflict. Probably a Maltese AOC which seems to be the popular flag of convenience these days.

IALPA need to be well prepared on how to counter this before it happens, because if you look at the wider industry it's where things are going in the future.

Unless they're dropping an a320ceo and replacing it with an XLR (for 1 LH and a near-shore SH), there's no room for it. EI can't grow the fleet until the cap is increased - it's already at 32million, without grounding or underutilizing airframes... And that's not going to happen as it's inefficient.

IB (or BA) can happily (and luckily) consume the XLRs and increase frequency or do more BCN (or maybe another southern Spain/canaries) direct routes to futher-flung places - US is a good market for the islands or Valencia/Sevilla for example. They have more options, a higher population, and no restrictions. The pilot pay debacle has nothing to do with this - I think that's apparent… it's just basic math at this point. They just can't expand passengers or fleet at DUB (HUB) until planning allows. As leases expire on the CEO fleet maybe an IAG XLR can move in to mop up those passengers. If DAA are allowed to temporarily move to 35/36 million while the 40m is being properly reviewed, then there's a window.

• Advertisement

My reasons behind the belief for the 73M is the MofU that IAG signed with Boeing a few years back and didn't they put in an actual order for 50.

Plus going on the current EI way of doing things 320FO to 330FO to 320CPT to 330CPT, its a lot easier to get an FO to move from the 73 to the 78.

I am also willing to accept its a bit of a far fetched idea but these days nothing surprises me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jonathan1991

Nooooo! I would be severely restricted! I won’t fly on 737 max…

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Astral Nav

Anyone know why the 105 didn't operate today?

Considering the XLR debacle, the repaint schedule, the drip feed of short haul replacement (2 aircraft a year?!) and the painfully slow to non-existent investment in product, I think the chance of Aer Lingus switching to all Boeing any time soon is close to zero.

At the current pace Aer Lingus will be lucky to get its hands on a few A330neos sometime before 2030.

330Neo engine is an issue. Dare say I thought they would have moved to or expressed a long term interest in the 330neo by now if that was a possibility. Also, in case I didn't say it, I would have thought a Boeing move could happen within a 5 year window.

'Was' an issue… the engine has been upgraded as of last year to bring it up to durability standards; but I don't see any widebody orders until much later in the decade.

330ceos (-200s) can be replaced with secondhand frames from QR who own 20% of IAG, and with planning (not an EI c-suite characteristic), a new cabin can be fitted prior to entry into [EI] service, to circumvent the EIK/EIL debacle... with the 32million cap already reached, it's only possible to do replacements... 2 xlrs = 1 330. May be a case for removing -200s, using the HGWs on the west coast routes, and XLRs on East coast/mid-west… if they want the XLRs (more expensive to buy right?). Maybe the time is just not right.

Post edited by sherology on

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭sailing

The cap was only 100k or so paxs short last winter. It was due to surpass that this year, which is why the winter cap has been put in place. Its a father Ted like scenario where a local planning authority have such influence over such national infrastructure. It is going to have serious implications next year.

I also agree with above. The XLR is nothing to do with pilot pay. Its suits the current EI agenda to state as such. The reality is they can't expand while the cap in its current form is in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Lockheed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

don’t disagree but why wouldn’t EI want to say to the public - “we can’t grow due to the cap”.

You know I'm somewhat more concerned with why all the media sources are reporting two conflicting facts... No XLRs due to pilots and No extra passengers due to Cap... Can someone do their job or basic mathematics!!!

PS: I don't support the pilots 20%+ pay hike (when their colleagues are getting 12 - everyone should carry equal weight), the endless fracas with endlessly fractured union groups and representation, and me [Joe public] knowing any of this junk.

I do support getting facts right, reporting 'investigated' stories (not press releases), and holding ALL parties accountable for their rhetoric i.e. prove to me what you've said is true (pay, conditions, not getting what was promised, caps, orders - let's see some steam coming out of people's ears).

'News' and 'fact' reporting has just gotten ridiculous. It's all just bull. I can only assume the WRC/LC deal with facts and what they say and recommend has more weight... As I assume these deal with 'facts'. Am I wrong?

• Advertisement

Elsewhere EI-NSF had it's first flight in Toulouse today. It's only a week or two behind EI-NSE which must be due for delivery within the next 14 days or so.

Ahhh... Some facts finally 😉

What frames are leaving (or have left)?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 knobtasticus

Comparing different employee groups and expecting each of them to accept the same T&Cs that everyone else got is fundamentally flawed and is exactly the sort of corporate fallacy that executives cream themselves about. If other employee groups are happy to accept X, that’s their prerogative. Prior agreements reached with one group cannot be allowed to place an arbitrary limit on subsequent negotiations with another group.

EI’s pilot group were notable in that they willingly volunteered to go to 50% pay during Covid - without ever being asked. We thought they were mental but I think the idea was to establish a constructive relationship with the company to weather that whole ****-show. They were the last group to see pay restoration begin and are still the only group on a pay-cut. I think the pilots have now decided it’s time for that sacrifice to be significantly recognised. That’s pretty much verbatim what’s been explained to me over pints and it’s hard to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Frankly, any pay and conditions negotiations are no one’s business except for the employees and the company.

Either side trying to move the focus elsewhere does no one any favours.

They will only get resolved by the two sides sitting down and talking to one another, which may take time, until common ground is reached, and they certainly won’t be solved through the media and definitely not through social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

And the Labour Court has said that that any issues on which the parties still don't agree by end-August should be referred back to the Court for final determination. That could be interesting.

Not really. Nothing the LC says is binding on any party. In these scenarios, the LC only makes recommendations, not decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭LimaRomeo990

BDL DUB is cancelled tonight and DUB-BDL-DUB is cancelled tomorrow.

Does anyone know whats operating instead? EI LRB is currently in Hartford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

I'm aware of that. But what's the point of a registered trade union engaging through the IR machinery of the State if it is not going to treat seriously the outcome of what in this case may be an extended process? The Chairman of the Labour Court is a highly experienced and, in my experience, a scrupulously fair practitioner who has dealt on plenty of occasions with employees who may consider themselves "special" as well as those in more rank-and-file jobs. There is a well-worn maxim that all IR disputes get settled eventually and of course judgement is required by participants as to when they have acheved the maximum that they are going to get. Otherwise you may end up in one of those situations where the troops have been marched to the top of the hill and then can't figure out how to get down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

If the Labour Court Chairman is so experienced and fair, why didn't he issue an actual recommendation instead of kicking the can back to the WRC? The EI pilots have been in negotiations with the company since the end of 2022 including a trip to the WRC. That's more than what I would call an extended process. Mediation has not worked and there is nothing to suggest it will work now. You would be naïve to think that Aer Lingus wouldn't use the opportunity the interim recommendation presents to draw the process out until after the Summer season, when the industrial leverage the pilots have is gone. There is no doubt in my mind that there would be absolutely no improvement in the offer from the company.

The Labour Court should have issued a full recommendation and let the parties vote on it. What they did is a cop out.

Your post suggests that the Aer Lingus pilots consider themselves "special". I'd love to know your reasoning behind that. As has been pointed out they were the first group to suggest and take a 50% pay cut at the start of Covid. During Covid they had their T's and C's slashed, including their pay scale and the emergence of a lower scale for new joiners which remains in place. They were the last group in the company to get their pay restored post Covid.

For reference, BA pilots have had pay rises totaling 27% since 2019. The average hourly wage in Ireland has increased by 24% in the same time period. What the EI pilots are looking for is by no means unreasonable, but they've gotten nothing for so long that the figure looks big.

• Advertisement

The 130 wasn’t cancelled from what I can see. She’s airborne. Is it empty?

Advertisement