Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there's already been a veeery extensive discussion of the conflicts between Docklands Nua and the dart tunnel, really no need to restart it. Dart Underground is effectively cancelled, it's no more than a notional possible future project for after we're all long dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Yes except that Glasnevin station will not be built as part of DART+ West, it will be part of the metrolink railway order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Don't worry. They'll just get the contractor back to dig it up and add a new stop.

Is there any update on developments at Clontarf Golf Club? I'm sure MKN would love to get their hands on those grounds. They're already using part of it for a compound while working on a development on Collins Avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

A DART tunnel may be a "notional future project", but I do expect the ABP inspectors to push IÉ on why the submitted station design effectively prevents any future cross-river rail tunnel without either a massive disruption or orphaning of the new Spencer Dock station.

DU as originally proposed may be dead, but it's not realistic to assume that there will never, ever be any DART extension within Dublin City Centre. Extension within the city core will need a tunnel, and this is one of the very few places in the city centre where such a tunnel could emerge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭pigtown

Is such a question in ABP's remit? I doubt it is

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

Haha after our success in North Strand, we can make it happen!! They started digging up that section of new cycleway/parking last week in North Strand, just FYI.

Nothing I've heard for a long time. My worry would be, that without a plan for future DU or equivalent, that site will be developed on and wasted as an option.

There was talk in February of a decision imminent on Dart+West, which obviously hasn't happened. I do wonder if Spencer Dock and DU conflict is a part of that delay, but it could be any number of things....

At this point I would prefer a Lucan to Ringsend metro instead of DART U.

Also need a Tallaght to Coolock metro to have a complete network.

It is. Inspectors can and do request clarifications and additional documents - it's unusual for it not to happen. An obvious question regarding Spencer Dock would be to ask how this station design is compatible with any long term plans to bring a tunnelled heavy rail line under the Liffey near this location. If the inspector isn't happy with the explanations, they could reject the plan, or (more likely) grant it subject to the underground-compatible station design being used instead. This wouldn't change the visible parts of the station, as the box was to be built far below; but it would affect the budget.

Infrastructure plans are often bounced back for being incompatible with existing government policies, and that isn't just environmental ones: it's hard to get planning for a project if that project would make other land use and transportation goals more difficult to achieve.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ABP might mention it, but they certainly aren't going to block this station over it!

The reality is per the DART+ Tunnel report, Dart Underground is basically dead. If ABP ask, I'm certain Irish Rail and the NTA will simply say they have no plans to build DU now or for a long time and can look at alternatives in future if it is ever revised.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Oh man, you wouldn't believe the **** that ABP sticks it's oar into. Prime case in point is actually related to Dart Underground, funnily enough: DCC want to build a bridge across the Liffey, but when they applied to ABP, the NTA said let's look at how this interfaces with DU, and then told DCC to move the bridge just in case.

DCC apply to ABP again, with the bridge in the new location, only for ABP to say no, we preferred the original location. DCC amend the docklands plan to cater for the bridge and reapply, only to be told, no, this location where the NTA don't want it is where it should be.

I don't know if that's forward planning, head in the sand, or just plain idiocy, but it means that we've still got no bridge in that area for years, and we're not likely to get one any time soon. Talk about letting the perfect be the enemy of the good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭gjim

Everyone agrees that the original proposal from the 2000s is not implementable - but that's not surprising at all since the genesis of that plan stretches back to when the entire area was undeveloped so plans could liberally use a huge surface area.

Everything else, including claims that it "prevents any future cross-river rail tunnel", is just a bunch of non-engineers arguing about what might or might not be technically possible while making bold claims about inclines and clearances, etc.

For the next round of plans after T42/DART+, there will be a share for DART/heavy-rail and I can't see any more pressing issue for DART than relieving central bottleneck and there's no way to do so, and to offer more city centre through running services than build a DART tunnel largely following the alignment of the the old plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

That was on the origional metro plan, the line from the airport would split into two branches at Stephen Green, one branch toward Sandyford, and the other via Harolds Cross to Tallaght. Here is an 20 year old RTÉ news articles on it.

Deleted

Post edited by loco_scolo on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Cgcsb means a stand-alone Tallaght Coolock line, not one that splits from Metrolink.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yes, it's the obvious Metrolink 2 project, at least in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Why keep parading the lie that DU is dead when it is still part of the roadmap and Government plans. Officially at least, it's just been long-fingered

Does anyone understand why building the bridge at Forbes Street would be twice as expensive? The DU tunnel would be fully underground at that stage, so I don't understand the issue.

Frustrating as it is, I'd agree with ABP that the Forbes Street location is a better location in the long run.

As it's a meant to be a rotating bridge, I'd guess that the foundation would have to be deep to support the weight all on the central pivot, which would need to be right over (or extremely close to) the Dart Underground tunnel. This would require more far more engineering than "just" a rotating bridge, which would easily account for the doubling in cost.

Realistically, I'd doubt that they'd get the ok to build the bridge there before the tunnel either, so it's kind of a catch 22 situation. The NTA are sure to point out that tunnelling right under a single point of failure on the bridge, the central pivot, could result in an increased amount of subsidence/damage to the foundations.

• Advertisement

I know that too well, as I commute past it every day!

Spur lines are the devil in Irish planning. Every td and councilor wants a luas spur in their area and no fiddlers given for capacity on the central section, that's how we've ended up with street trams going up the mountains. We need real capacity in the central area, lots of it, before we can have spurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

What was planed for the two branches, was a five minute frequency on each branch, and 2/3 minute frequency on the "common" section, which was basically the city centre.

Merolink has a 90 second design frequency. And I don't see it being quiet on opening day if I'm honest, the pent up demand is massive. Spurs should be considered until there's a serious ramp up of cross city rail capacity and the city can then scale back on the excessive reliance on double decker buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

It doesn't quite work like that. You can't just divide straight line capacity between two branches. Spurs are a capacity killer because they require merging and crossing oncoming trains which necessitates greater time spacing for safety reasons. Building spurs off Metrolink will just undermine what they are trying to achieve. A DART tunnel will have to happen some day, it is the best way to reduce the conflict of the merger north of Connolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Branches where you have to transfer, even if only at certain times of day, are better than splitting if you must do it.

Problem is people want the direct trains at peak, which is the time they can be least easily handled.

It's true that in traditional block signalling systems, merges are very expensive, but in an automated railway using modern signalling, the time penalty for merging is very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

But if the slot is missed, for whatever reason - even automated systems aren't allow crush people to get going - it knocks on hideously. This is even more so when its more precisely timed.

This is also true without a branch/merge.

I think merges can work well if they are done not to fan out a line but to allow crossovers, and increase the number of possible end to end routes. An example of this is the Munich U-Bahn that, with only a few additional links, allows the creation of multiple services on what is basically a three-line central network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Whn you have a train crossing the path of other trains, you have to have a buffer that the crossing train is well clear before another train passes. The more trains you have crossing, the more buffer time lost. You can also have speed reductions at such points.

This is why the PPT will never provide anything close to the capacity a DART tunnel would allow. The PPT requires merging, a tunnel from west of Heuston to Docklands significantly reduces it.

Advertisement