Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

@DvB that might be a good shout, with the flights from here to Lapland it was mental. Mainland Europe might be a goer, my BIL live in Brussels so he could get the train over to see our kids.

@miamee cheers for the link I've clicked but get a blank page, I don't have a facebook account. I contacted the hotels directly, no travel agents. I will have to save the pennies for next year. I didn't do it with our eldest as there was no way I could afford that in my 20's but want to do it for the little one. I swear its for her not me! In saying that a pal of mine brought his family which has one kid who's 14 so knows the score, and she loved it.

@CheerLouth Jan/Feb is a no go for us sue to school being back early Jan.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

A girl I work with spent a small fortune on a trip to Lapland in December just gone and said it wasn't worth the money at all. She was left very disappointed with the whole experience, and the Santa there was really below par- terrible fake beard and cheap suit. The thing that impressed her children most of all was the snow, so in her opinion a trip to a market in mainland Europe when it's snowy would have been as good. Just one person's experience, of course, but thought I'd share it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭tscul32

Haven't been on in a while. @Loughc so sorry to hear about your mam, hope you're doing OK.

Last day of school today and then summer hols 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Same here. Kids finish their first year in secondary today (where did that year go!!?) & we're off to the canaries tomorrow for our summer holidays…. 10 days of sun, sand & obesity most likely!

Its bizarre how quickly that extra month of summer holidays with the schools shortens the first part of the year.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,490 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I was thinking lately about those long Summer holidays holidays hanging out with friends on what felt like endless Summer days.

When you're 13, 3 months feels like an eternity to be fair!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭BK5

Hope you and your family have a great time @DvB , safe travels.

Have a great holiday, DvB! 🙂☀️

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

have a great holiday DVB, well deserved break!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

Been a whirlwind time, came back to Dublin last week and immediately started feeling unwell, cut to Monday and myself and my OH both test positive for covid. Awful dose this time compared to last time getting it.

The baby was sick too but the toddler still full of beans.

Got a flat tyre this week as well so not been the best week. Today is the first day I feel someone ok but still have a banging sore throat.

My eldest is doing his leaving cert next week. That makes me feel old. The school hols are mine too though, my first year teaching and we finished today😁 My older two are 4th and 6th year and both finished last week. Littlest elf is in his final weeks of primary too and I honestly don't know where the time has gone.

You’re only a youngster - my youngest is 24 and due to finish uni in July after 6 years , 4 years of an undergrad and a two year masters degree. Now, I am definitely old 😂😂 and feeling every day of it.

I used always like the Summer Holidays. I don't think I was one of those who got bored.

I think when I didn't want to go back to school in September my mother used be like it means Christmas is coming.

Enjoy the holiday.

Ah no Loughc, hope you're all feeling better soon. The universe is throwing a lot of crap your way recently but keep the chin up. I know you will come through everything and they're will be better days ahead.

It's a new month and a long weekend so try to enjoy it and do something for yourself. All the best.

Rough times, I've had similar with covid, caught it 3 times now, first I was asymptomatic and only tested because the rest of the house tested positive, 2nd time was like a headcold, third time hit me far harder, the cough alone had my head feeling like it was going to explode, worst I've felt in years. Dread to think what a 4th dose will do.

Glad to hear you're coming out the other side though.

Unfortunately I have to go to a funeral tomorrow, one of my best friend's Dad died a few days ago and is being cremated.

Life goes on as we all know, but I think we need some good news stories on here.

p.s I hope everyone is having a great long weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭A cup of te

@Loughc The world's not being fair to you right now. Wishing you strength and support. you'd wonder what this whole thing is about sometimes and then you just have to conclude that we can only do so much and try our best to be nice and kind to each other and that's it. Hoping you have some plain sailing soon.

Good news? Well, I'm hoping to be in my own house this Christmas. I've said that here for a few years in a row :-P I'm not sure I'll be able to afford all the outdoor Christmas decorations I want. I want a big blow up snowman and santa and loads of lights. I like the candy canes that light up. They had those cheap in Dealz last year so i think I'll be able to get some budget stuff for outdoors this year. I want to visit that M50 Christmas shop too. I find myself looking at all these lights and decorations and then people remind me that money could go towards a washing machine ;-) I'm gonna search for as much battery powered stuff for outside as I can. What I do have though is lots of cheap stuff for inside and I just love retro Christmas stuff. So my plan is to put up those chains that you used to see going across the ceiling in the 80s and 90s. Got some in Dealz last year! Have a big foil bell too. I am determined to make it the type of house people love to visit at Christmas and all year round! I just can't wait to have my own place to do Christmas the way I've always wanted to!!!

The 7th of January was 149 days ago when the decorations came down for us.

We'll be back in season in the same length.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭antimatterx

• Advertisement

The 7th of January feels like years ago, but I'm simultaneously also in shock that we're already nearly a week into June. 😵

I find the year is going slow and fast.

It's still hard to believe we're into June tough.

In May the Eurovision and Britain's Got Talent was on and now all the talk will be about Love Island(I could never get into it).

After a few weeks the talk ill be about who's doing Strictly and the August Bank Holiday.

Into the 20s on.the weekly countdown today too!

Leaving cert started today. Can't believe my elf is all grown up...

Hope all goes well, it can be a very stressful time.

Post edited by Cork Lass on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Today we got the keys to our home. After years of renting we finally have our own place. Won't be fully moved in for about two weeks but the feeling of walking around the empty house and thinking what it will be like in 6 months time was a bit overwhelming.

There's hope out there for anyone. Good things can happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭A cup of te

@Smell the glove ah, wow, congrats :) that has to be exciting and a great sense of security! Are you visualising where all the decorations are going to go? Best wishes with the move!

Congratulations @Smell the glove , that’s really great news. Wishing you many decades of happiness there 🥳🥂.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭antimatterx

10 years since me and I still look back in horror. What a horrible exam.

Advertisement