Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband connection issues - suggestions

Options
  • 31-05-2024 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

This afternoon, for the first time ever, our VirginMedia BB went down. So, tv and landline phone are down too.

At their request, I both rebooted the router and reset the router. After both, all devices can clearly see the VM service listed and I link each device via the password. (The two computers are connected directly via Ethernet cable) But, for example, my phone says, “No internet connection” under the VM listing in Settings. Other devices are the same.

Virgin are sending out a technician on June 10th(!) (So, 11 days of no home office for two.)

I’m just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what they or I might be missing?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Have you checked the network status in the modem itself yet? They tend to be on 192.168.100.1 for their admin interface. Sadly there's not much you can really do with these, there's just about nothing user configurable.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Murt2024

Try reseating the coxial cable into the Router other than that nothing much more you can do.

If you have a 4G/5G phone and get decent speeds via speediest app might get you out of a pickle and setup tethering. Download the speedtest app.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭DopeTech

If mobile signal is good in your area you could set up a phone hotspot to use your mobile internet around the house. Just keep an eye on data limits. It may be perfectly usable for work from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Murt2024

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Thanks all.

Looks like I’ll have to sit it out.

Local hotspot a good idea though. Work pays for one phone, so data not an issue. Thanks.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I assume you also switched phone off for a few minutes then on ?

Then rechecked it ? only 1 phone not working in house or if you had 2 and other 1 works points to phone issue.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

if you can id try reset the dns to google dns

The two computers are connected directly by cable and would work automatically, no?

With my phone, I chose “forget this network” and then reconnected by inputting the password. The password is accepted, but “no internet connection” appears underneath the name of the provider.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Pc would flag no internet connection if you powered off the rooter and then on as it needs time to setup again and connect. Icon would show connected as getting a signal

But did you power off the phone then on?

I would be doing a reboot of phone and scan for provider and make sure your inputting the login details of rooter correctly low and high caps.

Thanks, but makes no difference. After rebooting phone, I inputted password. Blue check mark appears next to provider’s name and connected symbol appears at top of screen. But, “no internet connection” appears under provider’s name.

Very odd.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭ongarite

People are asking you to check the Virgin router. It should be a white box that stands vertically with round cable connected to the back of it. The front of the device should have some status LEDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Any lights on the modem? Any neighbours with VM? Have they got BB?

The router has a solid white light on the front, which it’s supposed to have, I believe. And it has green lights on the back for each cable connection. Cables are all securely connected.

D.

ps. Only the white light on the front of the router. Other green lights flash for a while after a reboot. D.

Using your phone, are there any outages in your area if you check on the VM site? Any clowns around digging anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭ongarite

Try this to login to router. There is setting in it to run diagnostic on your connection

https://19216811.uno/virgin-media-router-login/

After the 12th day of no service, with numerous calls to 1908 and a technical engineer call-out this morning, yet another call to 1908 this afternoon (after a total remote reset of the service at the engineer's request) sorted the problem: someone had "accidentally" suspended my account on May 31st and this disabled all services. But, it took the tech on the phone today to finally notice this. Brainless.

They are refunding me for the twelve days of no service. But, nothing more even though we've spent a lot on mobile data in that period.

The reset of our VM products has still not given us the ability to record programs to the cloud on our Apollo 360 mini-box, even though they continue to charge us for it while they "look into it" after three months. Joke. (It has never worked since the day we signed up for tv back in March. A friend has an identical package to mine and he can record tv.)

Finally, I learned (from the call-out engineer) that Sky BB and Vodafone BB are piggybacking on VM's cable network to offer BB. So, I wonder if SIRO will ever be installed in our area? Whether or not, I can at least play Sky, VM and Vodafone off against one another when it comes to renewing my contract next March, knowing I'll be getting a similar service.

D.

Sky are only reselling VM to customers that are on VM ftth not the co-ax.

Advertisement