Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Absolutely delighted to see the tents appearing in the heart of Ballsbridge today and delighted for those residents in particularly who have stood strong for diversity.

Oh sorry, hang on, they thought diversity wouldn't arrive at their doorsteps and it was for poorer neighbourhoods.

We'll see who the real intolerant people are in the coming days (probably hours) .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A 'zero refugee' strategy is not credible, not unless we want to become North Korea or something. Where would we deport all asylum arrivals to? There would be no obligation on any other country to accept our deportees.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

So do you not think it raises concerns about his competence?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I think in the general scheme of things, it wasn't a massive error. You'd have to think there was a fair amount of politicking and gamesmanship when right wing independents and Gript etc started raising the tweets as an issue in 2023. Asylum arrivals were always going to shoot up after 2022 - they're up everywhere across Europe, not just Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 boredyooser

The Canal " Volenteer " Lady:

It appears from the poster desperately trying to shut down discussion about this indivual, that the definition of a " volenteer " is simply an innocent, harmless, niave humanitarian with no political agenda " just making somebody;s day better "

This is news to me, because as far as I remember, every IRA member was a volenteer. As were members of the Loyalist paramilitaries. As were the Europeans who flocked to Spain in the 1930s. As are leafleters for various political parties. Various human rights lawyers give free assistance, would this make them " Volenteers " ? Organisations are known to " Astroturf " where their activities are described as grass roots activity by the " local community " or " concerned residents " to try and divert attention from the fact that professionals are behind the scenes. The British often refer to " military advisers " assisting some African country, when we know it is the SAS, as the American's do when we know it is the CIA,.

" Volenteer " and " helping " are such nice fuzzy, feel good words. Who could possibly have a heart of stone to question their motives ( or connections, or who they are astroturfing a front for ? )

This " Volenteer " is an EXTREMELY experienced professional in the Ayslum / Immigration industries. This " Volenteer " is EXTREMELY well connected in the world of Asylum and Immigration. This " Volenteer " has a MASSIVE digital footprint going back nearly a decade, organising meetings and confere nces, issuing press releases, giving quotes to the irish media as far back as 2017.

They have no agenda, no professional interest, and are simply trying to make somebody's day better ?

They are more like the CIA in Central America.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭mr67stag

Its is entirely incorrect, You can chance the constitution its called an amendment been done 20 +times since 1937

Its simply plain wrong to say you cant change the constitution.

The whole point of a constitution is to have rules underlined in law by the the constitution.

We have a written document but many countries like UK have an unwritten constitution which is much more difficult to change.

Bring on the migration amendment whats to fear the people are sovereign and democracy rules

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭eggy81

I’d imagine word of mouth among their peers would be a factor. Up until now at least when we’ve ran out of proper accommodation. I’m an electrician working mostly in big pharma and data centre projects and the sites particularly in Dublin have seen a huge increase in over seas workers in the last 12 months. A lot of Georgians in particular. They seem a good bunch in general actually. I’ve been mixing between a few sites in Dublin and a couple of sites in Limerick and cork over the last 12 months. Definitely a lot higher percentage of overseas lads in Dublin as far as I can see. All Eastern European. Very few African or Middle Eastern lads onSites in my experience. Maybe the visas are different?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Will0483

Lets see how long people can't be deported. Third country processing to nearby countries would be worse for most illegal immigrants than deportation to their own country.

A solution to illegal immigration will be found one way or the other. Then the Government here can get back to governing Ireland rather than playing whack a mole with a bunch of chancers.

As someone who lived in Santry for 4 years, I can tell you there was plenty of anti-social behaviour and crime in Ballymun at least in those days. AGS could confirm this if you for some reason doubt that Ballymun has more crime per capita than Foxrock but they'd have to hide their laughter while doing this request.

To say otherwise is just simply nonsense. From your posting history i can seen that you're not too interested in facts and evidence more in whataboutery and deflection.

• Advertisement

We use our multi billion Euro foreign aid budget to reward some African countries for processing our AS in a safe third country. Once this policy is announced, you will find that there won't be any tents at all to be seen anywhere in Dublin.

They will all be gone to any other EU country that has a slightly better deal. Once everyone wakes up to the scam, then we won't need to worry about this problem anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I'm all about facts. Which is why I point out this is a prejudiced view by posters who know nothing about different crimes, or where they take place.

AGS supply those very crime figures that would indeed show different crimes at different rates in different areas. It's simply nonsense for you, or anyone else to decide there is more crime in one area over another based on prejudice and nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

Oh the country more than wants people like me and you, they need us. They couldn’t afford the nonsense without the likes of me and you. They just want us to shut up and pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I thought Michael McDowell would get involved in a new party after the referendum. He may yet. The amount of similarly named parties that has emerged recently is just confusing the electorate. None of them seem to have a credible leader. Independent Ireland (I think that's the right name) is the most credible because it has 3 sitting TDs.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Kingslayer

I was wondering about the clearout and then dumping of the tents. They have done this a few times now, I presume it would be the guards that chase people out of the tents, but I have never seen any footage or pictures of it in the media, have there been any?

Oh yeah? Where are most burglaries committed in Dublin?

Where are most public order incidents committed in Dublin?

Where are most theft incidents committed in Dublin?

The answer is not Ballymun.

Your prejudice shows too easily.

Please feel free to post any lies from my posts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Packrat

No. As you've been told numerous times, I've no interest in 'discussing' anything with you.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,130 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Will0483 threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Honestly guys, it's best to just use the ignore list and not engage rather than getting pulled down the rabbit hole. It's not worth the aggravation or effort. It's also the most effective response - it's hard to derail a thread and provoke posters into reportable action when people don't take the bait.

I'm all for honest debate, differing views and opinions that make me think - but constant baiting, gas-lighting, and "point me this"/"link me that" nonsense serves nothing and no-one. If you believe that there are points and arguments that aren't being made, then make them but do so in a constructive manner and be willing to accept that people may not agree with or validate your opinion - which is their right too!

This is a vital topic and a conversation that very much needs to be had, both here and at national levels. It's very important that the same flow of updates, information and feedback continues to be shared, particularly in the run up to the imminent elections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Absolutely. It's the only way meaningful pressure will come on government to do something other than moving the deck chairs before the election. Even though pretty much any of us with a somewhat pragmatic head know they'll do nothing meaningful. At least it builds pressure in areas where traditionally this wasn't an issue. Helps to bring the entire country closer together in finally realising maybe this all isn't a great idea. From rural/working class right to the upper middle class.

The out of sight out of mind approach has us where we are now.

Since 2016 "Syrian" refugees were dumped all around rural Ireland, the only prerequisite was that these rural areas needed to have plenty of cheap unwanted houses and a few underperforming hotels. Services etc. weren't a priority at all just as long as there was a place to put the refugees that was enough.

A few well connected people did very well out of the whole arrangement. Not the locals though. When you see developer families from cork who had most of the projects left on their books during the recession taken into Nama suddenly finding some loose change to buy a hotel in Roscommon you know something is up.

Well connected people have been coining it in for going on 10 years now. Even now I'd say they have to pinch themselves every so often when they look at the books because as the years have gone on the contracts have gotten more and more lucrative to the point that they must be physically unable to look at their accounts without laughing/gasping with joy.

It's a shame the massive Syrian refugee thread on here was completely nuked there were some excellent posts on it which nailed the situation then and are even more relevant today.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭engineerws

Here's a 2021 social report on Ballymun

https://www.drugsandalcohol.ie › ...PDF
    210528-Ballymun – A Brighter Future (Revisions 18 May 2021)

Things are a lot better in ballymun as far as I can tell than the 90s but at least in 2021 issues remained.

Would be interesting to see if anyone can figure out the statistics pages, E.g.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Have to admit. I did get a smirk out of the irony of the picture taken of the tents on Wellington Road yesterday a per the Indo article:

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/asylum-seekers-move-tents-to-ballsbridge-after-canal-space-gets-fenced-off/a1771497291.html

Getting exactly what they/she asked for!

Although the picture seems to have been taken from a different angle for this morning's report:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/asylum-seekers-set-up-camp-in-ballsbridge-as-areas-along-grand-canal-fenced-off-at-a-cost-of-36000/a911478011.html

You don't need to. You also cannot point out any lies posted by me, because unlike some posters, I don't post lies.

It's a discussion board people, not everyone will agree with you, like life, not everyone agrees with you. Ironically, I'm actually one of the only posters who would like more restrictions in people living in this country.

Agree wholeheartedly. The ones up in arms about this are the ones who have been telling us in rural small towns that we're racist idiotic yokels who have been lied to by far right media outlets we've never heard of not to mind read or watched.

Let them reap what they sowed. Dublin will become like Lagos and the ones in the rural hotels along with their reunited "families" will mostly eventually head off there.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭Augme

What exactly would be the proposed question of this migration referendum?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,291 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I never watch RTE anymore . I thought they were a disgrace during Covid with the constant fear mongering.

Happened to be in a hotel last night and while trying to connect the tv to Netflix, the RTE news came on with the refugee story.

Fcuk me, is this how some people get their news? It was like news for 6 year olds.

The tone was condescending and patronising. I actually started laughing at one stage. This from an organisation that wouldn’t be able to organise a piss up in a brewery.

We have a lot of issues in this country but the state broadcaster must be near the top of the list.

It's actually frightening when you haven't watched it for a bit and see what passes for news.

Pure altered reality dystopian stuff.

What's terrifying is that there's a big block of voters who watch/listen to it daily...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

don’t listen to RTE it’s in the pocket of the government. Can’t wait for the tents to appear on the nice greenery in Montosia. If I could wish away a semi state I’d use my three wishes on RTE to make sure. Destest that organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I have never heard of the word doxxing and you might want to stereotype me but I am not into the woke stuff. Ridiculed with a brain cell reference? No need, childish bullying and cowardly (it was an indirect post too - not by you). Challenge them with with facts and links or ignore....no need to quantify brain cells. If someone resorts to that, they have been outsmarted.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Advertisement