Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

cheers. Will I still need the hub in that case?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I don't think so, the EDDI can send the CT info to the Zappi I'd imagine, sure when you get the new Z try it and see, ME are always very helpful over the phone in helping setups

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Ir3

have a Wallbox charging a Tesla & a Citroen, no problems and the app is very easy to use for scheduling etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I do have solar panels so would want the leverage them if possible!

I understand they will all deliver the power, and the car can look after scheduling too so it's not a must to get a smart charger? Some of them are quite neat.

Thanks for all the replies

In that case :

Zappi

Wallbox

Ohme

Garo

In no particular order. Just get the best deal you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

If I was going again I would get the cheapest dumb one possible. We no longer have electric shower on any other heavy usage device in house. Many cars can now control the amps and time clocks very well, so easy with our Tesla. Not so easy with our Hyundai. So you can still easily charge your car from solar when you get to know (Doesn't take long) what sort of surplus you have available. Anyway, with electricity plans nowadays it's probably makes no sense to use surplus into car, probably one of the main reasons we bough a Zappi in the first place.

Still, the Myenergi company is great to deal with, as you are aware..🙂

Agree. I never had electric showers. I always had a dumb charger, garo, abl, Tesla etc

Just grabbed the Zappi as I got it for €200. with the house use, battery and eddi, I’d have relatively little export.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭kindalen

Hi all, question related to home charger.

I dont have an electric car yet, but probably will within 2 years at most.

I got the SEAI grant before end of 2023, and have about a month to claim/install.

Should I take advantage of the grant and get charger now, and possibly let it sit unused for 2 years??

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,146 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

The cost difference currently between using your 2023 grant application and a new grant is €300. (But I guess that could change in the future)

Personally unless you had immediate plans to get the car, I'd probably leave it off. Even with the €600 grant its going to cost you ~€800 ish. Also the installer/manufacturer might be less inclined to support you if you have issues 2 years after the install when you first start to use it.

So spending €800 now and potentially having issues with support in the future to save €300 in 2 years time doesn't seem worth it to me, but others might disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I wouldn't bother if you have no immediate plans to buy an EV.

Two reasons why imo:

1. As said, the wall box manufacturer's warranty starts from the day it's installed and has a expiration date whether you use the charger or not.
    2. With EV sales down and a pending General Election in the next 12 months I reckon the Government will need to improve/tweak EV incentives again as part of their "sweetener" budget later this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I'd agree with the other posters too but you did say "within 2 years at most"… so could you potentially also get one in Jan 2025, for instance?

Thats not that far away and maybe in that case it would be worth doing it while you have the grant. If you think it will really be closer to 2yrs then it might not be worth it as you are giving up your warranty (and some do give faults)

Also, you might be out of time to get the job done unless you have an electrician already lined up. Those guys are busy. You could easily be waiting over a month to get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭Buffman

If I was in that position I'd just get a second hand eligible charger and get a local sparks to install it and do the paperwork. There is no requirement to use new equipment for the grant and receipts written by private sellers are perfectly acceptable for it.

For example, even paying full asking price of €300 for the below 'new' EO Mini Pro2 would leave you with €300 for the install, which would go a long way towards the install cost on a fairly standard install.

https://www.adverts.ie/other/ev-car-charger-eo-mini-pro-2-32amps/33932322

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Contact the grant crowd and tell them moneys tight, see will they push out the end date for you, it's worth an email

Zappi arrived during the week.
    No response or contact from the fitting crew so I fitted it this afternoon.

Zappi was on older 4.xxx firmware so was causing havoc connecting and communicating to the eddi.

Ended up on the phone to ME. Connected Zappi to WiFi and forced an update. Took an hour but as you posted, removed the hub from the equation, Zappi is connected through WiFi, eddi is connected to Zappi through RF and all up and running again.

So il make sure that’s all working for a few days and then move the hub on.
    Thanks for the guidance and tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭CoBo55

You bold boy you😱 how dare you unscrew 3 wires without getting an approved boards electrician 😏 the whole place is in imminent danger of burning to the ground 🔥🔥.

I’m a RECI with Safe Electric 2024 membership fully paid up. That’s my comment and I’m sticking to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭CoBo55

posting this here for anyone that might be looking going forward.

Very nice and discreet install by EV Charging Ireland using a Smappee Chargepoint.

Why the government cannot authorise a series of these on every terraced residential road with no front gardens and invite membership is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Liking that.

• Advertisement

The last of the €600 Charger grants expire on 2nd July I believe. For those that have one approved and are on the fence, here’s some prices I seen today. Quite the Facebook ad if they need reminding!

Contact our expert team today:

📞 01-6933457
    📩 Info@fokearn.com
    🌎 www.fokearn.com

No connection. I just like the fact they advertise the prices and the price you see is the price you pay. Unless of course your house is below standards to run them.

2 additional family members went EV in the last 10 days (Model Y and BZ4X) and these guys were able to have them sorted within 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

I was qouted 2.1k for supply and fit of Zappi,new earth rod, sub board and approx 11m of cabling(surface mounted) to charger location, all testing and certification.How does it compare to others?seems a bit high IMO.

Net cost to me 1500 after grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

check the €600 grant, if you applied last year I think it has 6months life…

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭RonTon

I’ve a zappi at home but looking to get a basic charger for a different location,any suggestions where to buy without installation or different brands to look for ,untethered ?

Cheers

https://solarwholesaler.ie/collections/ev-charger/products/bpe-amstel-ev-charger-7-4kw-t2-socket-std-with-dlb

This one I found, haven’t heard of the brand before though, looks basic enough,no wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭allinthehead

That's great value for the features you get, load balancing, pv compatible and 6ma dc protection.

☀️

Looking for a charging long cable, I’d need a 12-15 meter charging cable , I see one on Amazon .de for €190 , any other option?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

A couple of questions if I may please. Bought an MG4 at the weekend and need a home charger now. I'll need a pillar as there is a footpath between my house and parking spaces (in an estate, not normal road), so I know it'll cost a bit more for that. My question is around chargers themselves. I live in a house built in 2017, has a heat pump, fully electric, no electric showers, and I got solar PV installed earlier this year (no battery).

1. I see you can get 22kW chargers at home as well as 7kW ones, and the 22kW ones don't seem to be much more expensive. Is there a reason you wouldn't get a 22kW one at home, or are most homes not capable of having them or something?
    2. Is there a reason why someone would choose tethered over untethered (or vice versa)? Presumably the car will come with a cable that it is best to use, or is it more secure to have a tethered one where a cable can't be removed or some other reason?

Ta, any help appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,936 ✭✭✭✭josip

Tethered/untethered seems to be a matter of person preference. Some people prefer to not have to open the boot, take out the cable and connect both ends each time you start/finish charging.

Some people care about the aesthetics of how their house appears and not having a cable might appear 'neater'.

In your case, if the charger will reside beside a footpath that can be used by others, untethered might be preferable so as not to present a trip hazard, either real or imagined. I assume you'll need permission from the estate management company for the pillar?

Advertisement