Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

The thing is…. We signed up the the Paris Agreement which meant that the way Carbon is counted effectively demonises ruminants and results in that nonsense becoming reality.

Your rights. It's nuts! And totally environmentally unfriendly.

But the government are on the path to replace the Irish suckler herd with a subsidised AD industry because under the crazy C accounting rules, national emissions will "reduce"!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

It's 150 per metre inc vat here atm, pay upfront

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Intresting figures looking at the jan-april icbf co-report, for tirlain, its tracking 1.1 litres less than 2023 and over 1.4 litres compared to 2022, presuming the same cow numbers and no significant improvement in cow yields to year end, their looking at a drop of 500-800 million less litres processed for 2024 versus 2022, that has to have serious ramifications especially with the new plant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Has anyone heard anymore talk about reducing production in the cheese plant in Mogeely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭visatorro

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Its the potential of the place. The farm is within a village bounds so there us certain freedom in planning and getting 15-30% zoned.

The house itself is probably 150 years old but isn't listed building. If it a developer he can redirect labour and materials to getting the house and yards refurbished in his own taste

He may not ve a horsey person it may be the pedigree side of farming he us interested in. You will never build the old cut stone buildings around the place.

Get even 5 acres zoned and build 40 substantial two story detached on it he would have 4 million+ profit after building on it.

The Amount of people that can WFH 3-4 days a week is increasing all the time. People that orginally came from rural Ireland have no issue with commuting to Dublin for 1-2 days a week. Ya a couple will not do it but one of a couple often are willing to do it.

In the hinterlands off that new road ( Croagh/ Grannagh, Ballingarry around by Newcastle West, Ardagh, Askeaton abd Kilcolman, even in a way back to Loughilland Glin, it will open up that side of the country. Foynes itself will become another Adare( well maybe not Adare but a sought after location) the biggest effect will be around Foynes where it will turn an area that was 50-60 minutes from Limerat rush hour to a 25-30 minute commute.

Just to give you a different insight. M

I could put my own house on 3 acres, at a guess it woukd fetch 500k+. We are looking at upgrading the kitchen and doing 1-2 jobs mainly solar and heating system. But it's a 4 bed house and our land have nearly flown the nest. The upgrades are 100k+.

If I hade a site or could get planning on oneI reckon fir 400k I could build a smaller house for our retirement fully finished and pocket 200k+

Slava Ukrainii

is there many people here doing their own AI?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭ginger22

According to the Journal there are 52000 less 0 to 18 month dairy heifers on farms this year and 23500 extra dairy cows culled so far this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭davidk1394

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭green daries

And there's going to be less on farm next year I'd expect it's a fair drop already when you consider the real effects of the changes haven't kicked in yet I think the poor milk price and weather will have a big impact also

Where's a good place to do the AI course?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭older by the day

Good news hopefully, I milk only 55 cows and had 21 heifer calves this year, off my own bull. I held on to them, so hopefully there will be a price for them in two years time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

OK, a strong possibility (is that a probability? 😉) that it was bought with such a development angle so?

They still paid well over 1 million for that potential, and with building costs, that's that's tricky business these times.

I have for a long time, just 3 weeks and I don't bother with heifers anymore, for a few reasons. I find it's very easy and convenient. I wouldn't bother if I'd over 120 cows unless there was help around.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dairyedge

I’m milking 50 cows and the last 2 years I find I’ve no money left to do simple investments on the farm once all the bills are paid and had times when if everyone came looking for money at the same time I’d be in the red. I’m also considering my future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I was that soldier not been properly paid for my time so I pulled the plug and got handy 35 hour week .Only plan doing a bit of hobby beef farming going forward Plenty of jobs available away from the scuttery cows ,no one that got out of cows seems to be sorry after them anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭older by the day

Ya it's the inflation of the past couple of years is killing the small business.

To be honest my income last year, is looking like 45000, 20k of that is grants and glas. So 25000 for 365 days a year is pretty sickening, I do everything except the pit silage. A small bit of maintenance and Repairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Danny healy ray

the amount of lads getting out of dairying is gone off the scale around castleisland killarney area creamery quarry agri stores are going to feel it in a big way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭morphy87

Are you both happy in what you’re doing? If so money isn’t everything, I know people doing five days a week but with long commutes and they hate it but they have mortgages to be paid

I also know a rep that visits a lot of pharama plants and he said that the people he encounters look miserable,

The crap weather made alot of people's minds up. Be interesting to see if the creameries streamline their operations or if they'll continue to screw the already overstretched supplier to make up for the shortfall in supply

I haven’t enjoyed farming in a good while, find it’s not getting any easier. I’d have to under take a big farm development to satisfy the county council, don’t see how it would add up. It’s relying on contractors, milking machine men, casual workers etc these days I find impossible. People don’t care anymore about coming on doing work. I requested my milking machine serviced since last November and I’m stilling waiting. Asked for silage cut 2 weeks ago and nothing happening. Your doing well getting someone on the phone.All those things just add’s to the stress.

Well there's no reason to stay at it if it doesn't suit you, is causing you stress, and isn't paying its way. Be honest with whoever you have to talk to and do what's right for yourself and your family.

Don't hesitate to contact the mart or whatever way you chose to sell, it'll only be news for a week.

By the way, in case I haven't taken you up right, I'm assuming you're considering your future in dairy farming and/or other work/life balance issues.

If you're feeling depressed or thinking of suicide, please contact someone and tell them, a friend, family member, a doctor or the samaritans etc.

A trouble shared is a trouble halved

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There's a bit of an epidemic of suicides ongoing in this part of the country atm. Whatever the rest of the country is like. Hope it's better than around here anyway.

I think it's everything. The weather hardships, probably debts ran up, toxic positivity (it's a real thing and the people themselves tend to be bipolar), social media (adv and disadvantages), stresses from council which is government on pollution control measures that often make no sense, anti livestock in media and no defence from government or advisory services, price of concrete and development from carbon tax add ons, covid ramifications (I think people are lagging in energy than they were pre covid), constant talk of climate change doom ( there's no light at the end of the tunnel presented, probably same goes for the wars and people access to social media showing footage of people being blown up, it's akin to the watcher being there themselves) , diet of foods is probably getting worse in people too with more and more processed making larger and larger daily intakes, lack itself of vitamin D in people and that's back to weather again (but the first is the downright sloggery of livestock and farming and health in bad weather).

Whatever all though. Suicide is never an answer to anything bar maybe terminal cancer. I often think how many billions of years has this earth been here and this life and consciousness hasn't been a part of it. And how many billions of years may go by again and your conscious may not come back again to it if there ever is reincarnation. There's religion of course and faith. But who knows. Could be the nothing again.

There is always ways out of 99% of predicaments in this country. There is a social service in this country. It's not Angola we live in. It's not the end of the world like the other is. We all should embrace as much of it as we can. One page of your life may look grim. But turn the next page and it looks better and there's something else learned or amusing on it. And that's before you get to the next chapter.

It would be some acknowledgement by the government that there is pressure on dairy farmers atm particularly the smaller ones. And policies they are dreaming up are not helping.

thanks for your concern, it’s farming future I’m considering, nothing more. It does obviously affect one’s mental health given the demands farming has on you. My dr strongly advised me to quit farming a few years ago, told me he sees a lot of farmers that are burnt out from it which I think I suffer with, burn out. I’ve a new policy come hell or high water (seen plenty of that) I’m going on a holiday once a year when cows are dried off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭green daries

In my opinion they are going to really double down on screwing us if they get away with it but there's a tipping point for lads and they will kick or get out heard of an adviser (wasn't being the nicest about calling out and was intending on doing a dairy inspection whilst there )in roscommon area being ran clean out of a lads yard. (i would call him level headed enough)

Came out cos his lorry driver was cribbing about things left in his way (very poor driver ) and the farmer told them he had enough leaches about the place and was putting the herd up for sale. Area manager and store manager had to call to smooth things over.

• Advertisement

There's too many people making a living off the farmer's back. Too many pen pushers, things have been pushed too far. You can't go to your bank anymore for financial help, they drag their heels and fob you off. Cant get a doctor's appointment to discuss any problems. People have had enough and rightly so

Advertisement