Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

I see AI Minor quarter finals are on Monday, double header in Thurles.

I assume we meet the winners of Clare and Wexford?

Post edited by Alonzo Moseley on

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Marrooned

I assume you will be taking over the role of U20 manager next year and maybe you might take over the minor and the senior team as well seen as you were such a good club manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Wing Back

https://www.tipperarylive.ie/news/gaa/1514851/nowlan-park-will-be-playable-and-safe-for-u20-all-ireland-final-vows-kilkenny-pro.html

PRO having to come out and defend the condition of the pitch surface.

"But it is playable, it is safe. And in the next few days, with the rain drying up - I don't think there is going to be any problem"

Thank got she thinks we will meet the minimum standard

🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Please girls no need for the bitching.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Wing Back

There's no problem….The bar is just being set very low I feel across our hurling set-up and structures. This is just another example of it.

But listen, it's no big deal. No one really cares anymore…………………..We are where we are. We might be here a bit longer too I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

so the fact that the pitch was damaged is an indication of the state of Kilkenny hurling ??

Is that what you are trying to infer?
    A bit of an over reach , but listen, people try find fault everywhere , even when it has no bearing on the end result…..

(if Kilkenny win nothing this year , Do we blame the area around the 21yrd line on the ardan OCearbhaill end as the catalyst ?)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Hurlingtothebone

He or she would do alot better than your club man and his band of merry men at U20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭randd1

The Park has long needed some updates.

The toilets are a health hazard with the smell. The seating should really be reserved in the covered stands. Floodlights should have been installed a decade ago.

It's also very generic. Now I'm now one for seeing the County Board waste money, but stick a few flagpoles with Kilkenny flags everywhere. Have a display showing the crests and colours of every club in Kilkenny. You wouldn't know it was Kilkenny's home ground with the lack of colour and character in the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,865 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Bringing Bruce to kilkenny brought in a massive influx of cash to the local economy and straight into the county boards coffers, which can be used to promote the game and prepare our teams. But this guy is suggesting we should turn that down so that the pitch could be pristine and rossiter could complain about something else, and that this would have shown a greater commitment to higher standards on the part of the board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Box to box

Shots fired!!!

I do agree that nowlan Park is gone fierce dirty. If it was washed or painted up all the walls around it would make a huge difference. I've seen lads on the kk gaa website asking them to do more around the grounds. It wouldn't cost a fortune.

John donnelly looks to be in a race against time to play against Dublin after picking up a bad thumb injury potentially broken.

I wonder? Fist of all I already acknowledged that the Boro man made mistakes. But a lot of things went against them.

1/ venue shouldn’t have been in Tullamore.

( were you there shouting us on )

2/ missed a simple free by the Boro man

3/ missed a penalty

4/hit the crossbar

5/ hit the upright

6/ the Killian Doyle debacle

I would say we were a tad unlucky wouldn’t you think.and if Offaly happen to win the U20 then we would have been bet by the champions by a point on there turf. Would you be able to tell me what Village 87 won as a manager.

On another matter do ye think Offaly will return the favour if we meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Nowlan Park is a lovely ground, toilets would be the only complaints from me, pitch is usually top notch and everyone knows why it wasn't last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Comerman

Common sense from an outsider, cheers Billy 🍻 I've never seen so much bitchin in one place, fuckin unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

A gentleman I knew years ago used to say every year coming up to Christmas, this could be my last. He was around 60 when he started saying it first. He was eventually right when he died at 92.

A few posters on here keep moaning in the hope they'll be right some day. They cannot enjoy any bit of success. Life is short. Enjoy what you can of it.

Should have could have would have

Fact is we lost

Makes no difference if Offaly win tomorrow

Been beaten by all ireland champions means nothing to me

I hope we haven't reached a level that we are happy with been beaten by a team that may or may not win an all ireland

Real fact is Kilkenny only managed to win two matches against Wexford and Laois. Both of these teams failed to progress out of the group stages 3 of the 4 semi finalists came from one group the group we weren't in

I personally wouldn't call that a successful campaign

BTW I was in Tullamore not that it's any of your business and it was a **** show again thats my opinion

Again, some posters might not be able to bear what may be good news - John Donnelly's thumb may not be broken. Fingers(thumbs) crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Box to box

We all make mistakes and mark always comes across as a gentleman and it isn't easy be a manager in a place like kk where the standards are so high which is a good thing of course but he knew the responsibility that came with the job. Last year kk were beaten fair and square by wexford. Marks first year in charge. We didn't have drennan who at the time was hurling very well. After the performance he gave in galway a few weeks earlier it would be fair to say he was a big loss. He was fit enough to come on for the seniors the following week and it looked like lyng wanted him prioritising the senior. Denis walsh was also a big loss.I don't know would we have bet that Cork team in the final but year one was a disappointment especially after winning the previous year and alot of lads underage.

But this year was inexcusable and very hard to defend the u20 management. Christ almighty my mother would be quicker than Hughes and Langton.The very same thing last year wexford targeted Langton. He hurled well midfield for young irelands. I was watching here for months where most people agrees that the half back line would be roasted and sure enough offaly pumped every ball down on Langton and his man destroyed him. Hughes couldn't walk let alone run and gave away 2 frees with absolutely no pressure. Barging and steps. Young Holland in the goal was as agricultural as you would see the poor chap couldn't even hold the hurl properly.Yes kk were unlucky with several opportunities. Geroid dunne was absolutely twisted Sunday night inside at Bruce Springsteen 3 days before a huge match. These were two very poor years and as I said I've absolutely nothing against mark dowling and i dont want to come across as a prick but kk have standards and its no wonder we arent winning silverware because theres always excuses made here about this and that but there's absolutely no way mark or that management team can be anywhere near next year's squad. The u20s have being very poor and we still have no one from 2 year ago winning team breaking into the team infact there's more lads not even making the match day squads like Clifford and moylan and the lads on the match squad like drennan and doyle have probably gone backwards and are not even hurling well at junior. I remember years ago a junior hurler on the county squad would be standing head neck and shoulders above others.

Kk county board need to take their finger out and appoint the right people to take the u20s and not be making excuses or appointing managers who are convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Easy blame the management at under 20 level. I have being saying it for years this is the most overrated bunch of players I've ever come across. Nearly all at this age are big physical players but skill wise bang average. Having seen them plenty I don't see where posters get their views that they are a talented bunch. I would be very surprised if anyone from this group ever becomes a top intercounty player in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭hogans heroes

However talented this years 20s may or may not have been they should have done better.

• Advertisement

Well I wouldn’t have that management team there next year either.besides anything else there was no plan on who took the frees both last year and this year. Now name your management teams for all three jobs next year. Also nobody put there hands up for either the U17 or the U20 jobs.

maybe yourself and village 87 might come up with a management team that would sweep all before it or you could keep mounting from the sidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭blackwave

These are young lads who are committing to playing for the county. It's not on naming names, particularly saying one was drunk. I don't mind when it's senior but these lads are young and don't deserve that kind of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Village87

I agree with a lot of this and i said on the night if the team was picked properly they would have beaten Offaly by 7/8 points. That was a very good u20 panel but the management absolutely butchered it. I stated since last year that pace around midfield and half back line is a major problem and then they stick with Bill Hughes centre back and his 2 wing backs are very slow. There was some very good players on the extended panel and bench who could easily fill these positions. Lannon from Bbridge a selector, no coincidence Hughes is no.6, Mcphillips is Dowlings nephew, no coincidence he is on the 24. Eoghan Lyng missed 3 weeks of training before the match, he is already stuck for pace and not the fittest. Mark Dowling allowed the u20s play against Carlow in the senior and did not even understand the rules. It was one of the worst set ups Kilkenny have ever had over the last 2 years and shame on them all

The one positive is we have imo found a real player who can make an impact at senior intercounty level in the near future, I believe Marty Murphy has been called into the Kilkenny seniors

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

Irish Independent reporting Donnelly out for 6 weeks?

funny enough I would have replaced Bill Hughes with Tom Mc Phillips nephew or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Marty had been called into training with the seniorsbut is starting his leaving cert this week. He will be a solid addition to the panel and brings something a little different but give him time. He is u20 again next year.

We can lump a high ball down on top of him and hope for the best

Look forward to seeing him light up the intermediate championship this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jamesbond2022

A reminder that all the u20 players are amateur and entitled to do what they like with there free time and they are young lads at the end of the day and didn’t go out to lose against Offaly

You might be disappointed with the result but coming on here saying a young player was twisted at a concert is a bit over the top and out of order imo

Advertisement