Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Suckler

The crime he committed wasn't worthy of the hype it got. It was fraudulent accounting on the lower scale of things. Misdemeanour at best, bit of a fine and off he'll go.

All it does is make a martyr of him that will increase his appeal to those who'd turn a blind eye to much worse anyway. Completely plays in to his hands in an election year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Don't agree with you there. David Clifford is 6 ft 4, Brian fenton 6 ft 6 and conor glass is 6 ft 2... the three best footballers in the country..... being tall and well built is an attribute for success in football.

Gym work in football helps reduce injury if done correctly...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Disagree with you a little, the three players above are big men but it’s total ability and brain that makes them the players they are, David Clifford was a class to behold as a minor. The game now is all about players being machines with big engines, but at the end of the day it’s the skilled class players win games, look at Lynch for Limerick class is permanent and can’t be made.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I’m trying avoid the circus but caught a bit on the radio last week. My take was that paying yer wan off was a minor thing, but paying her off to increase his chance of election was a big thing. The charge was something to do with interference in an election, and how he used a business he owned to do it, rather than paying over hush money.

Either way, it’s played into his hands and his supporters are having a field day.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 10,753 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

You'd think in a country of over 330 million, they'd come up with 2 better candidates!

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭50HX

He's fine with his own supporters he knows they'll back him no matter what.

The concern for the republicans is the swing vote in key states, they may not vote for a convicted felon & that's where he may be in trouble

Then again it is America😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

What's the alternative presidential hopeful?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

It's the total requirement of whoever has the most money wins or has the greatest chance of winning is ruining it.

Trump gets his money support from Russia through back channels by third parties or real estate sales at inflated prices. One of his first calls as president was to invite an Fsb agent into the White House where a demand was made for Cia files. Trump did what he was told to do. And the next year or so any contacts that Cia agents had with paid agents non American were being killed off in accidents. And there's then the files he brought from the White House to his private holiday home. And he's still running for president again.

It's just money and probably coercion through blackmail and force to get to where this is all now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Lot of people will vote Trump just to get Biden out, know a few Americans who would be traditionally Democrat but they are all voting for him.

America has become quite a bit more dangerous and harder place to live. The Democrats have turned their back on their old blue collar base, its a party now of the top 25% and those who depend on the State to survive. It's along way from the party of the factory worker, builders and small business people.

Trump vs Biden comparisons in office.

washingtonpost.com/business/2023/12/23/trump-biden-us-economy-compared/

Under trumps tenure he called for riots in Washington which resulted in the deaths of five police officers. Biggly no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Packrat

So pretty much like here then..

FF "the party of the small farmers" and of the working class, FG "the party of business people and big dairy/tillage farmers, and SF of the hard republicans and of the dolers are all fighting the Greens for the woke urban middle class votes whilst abandoning their bases. Nobody left to vote for but powerless Indys and gombeen men.

This ought to end well...

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,753 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I was talking to a historian once and he made a very valid point in regard to this. During the civil war, those that were pro-treaty were first to get the well paid state jobs in the newly founded state. Those that were anti-treaty were treated like criminals, interred in places like Tintown Camp in Kildare. Locked up by those they fought side by side with previously.

My grand-uncle was the leader of the local IRA during the War Of Independence, yet he ended up with no work after and emigrated to the USA. My Grandfather, who was pro-treaty got a steady state job and ended up with a military pension.

So the roots and lingering bitterness of the present day political and social makeup of this country, can still be traced back to that era.

Historians I've met love talking about the War Of Independence, but they avoid the Civil War like the plague.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭tanko

Genocide Joe Biden has slaughtered thousands of children, no danger of you mentioning that of course.

The Biden administration saw the Israelis as Israelis not what they are as Russian Jews. The mood is changing in the democrats in slowing or stopping aid to the Netanyahu government. That's unprecedented in Israeli american relations.

Netanyahu wants Trump in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Is there a parsnip shortage or something? Tried 5 different supermarkets today - Lidl, Aldi, Tesco, Super Value and Donnybrook Fair, and not a parsnip to be found. What gives?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Maybe they see parsnips are a Winter vegetable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭minerleague

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Heading into town this morning.

Lad passes me coming up to a bend and I don't think his wheel made it out over the centre line he was so close to me. Mirrors almost touched. Beeped and flashed him. I was behind him for a mile or so and we both caught up to another car turning right into a house. I could see the indicator ahead and slowed up so I wouldnt have to stop. Asshole decided to stop dead after the car turned into the house. I went out by him.and the fun really begun. Horn gestures of all sorts, lights, charging, etc. Got to a junction where I had to stop and was expecting him to get out. I went on and he turns right and we parted ways.

The right turn would be sort of going back on yourself, so i would say hes local. He was a pure psycho. Thing is I was driving the mothers car and its distinctive. I'd be worried he could meet her again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Not sure the Republicans offer much either given that the States they control have some of the worst poverty rates and health outcomes in the US. Eitheir way I think a second civil war there is not far off, plus pretty much every politician there is bought and paid for by large corporations. Depressing really that Trump or Sleepy Joe is the best they can offer….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Ha, I really do.

The secret ingredient to the best mashed potatoes you'll ever make. Boil spuds and parsnips at a ratio of 4:1, mash with butter and fresh cream.

Can't beat it, and can't go back to non-parsnip added mash now!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,426 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Local nightclub had an over 30s disco from 6 to 10pm last night. Had to laugh at daughter who went in to the nightclub at 11 giving out about all the old people there who should have gone home at 10

Meant to post this when we were talking about height/size in sport:

https://www.easons.com/the-sports-gene-david-j-epstein-9780224091626

Great read about why and how some people make it to the highest level

• Registered Users Posts: 18,544 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

levelling a bit of poaching left from weanlings that overwinterd in and out. Ground only now fit 🙄

Post edited by _Brian on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

It’s making progress, still a bit to do before we can get slurry out

If anyone is wondering.

You can fit 11 rolls of plastic into a Dacia Duster.

Good luck to any households with exam students. We’ve a junior cert just away off there.

Think about it. Another two weeks and that’s when the weather broke here last year 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 29,426 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

See a 23 year old woman was killed last night in limerick when she was attacked by a dog

• Advertisement

Will you throw out a bit of grass seed on it as well?

I'm half thinking of looking for a chain harrow myself for the same job.

Advertisement