Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hayfever eyedrops & other meds - is north the cheapest

• 14-05-2024 11:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,042 ✭✭✭✭

I find that prices seem to be cheaper up north, eye drops are about half the price up north and tablets way way cheaper

As I'm heading up that way this week am looking at Boots but is there anywhere other than boots people would recommend?

need to get stuff for my 10 year old daughter who suffers terribly with hayfever

https://www.boots.com/opticrom-hayfever-eye-drops-10ml-10173518 £5.70 but second half price at the moment. can be about €12 here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,250 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

In general I find semichem very cheap but there are a few other chains like Gordons that can be quite good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Anti-Histimine tablets are £1.50 in Asda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,094 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If Beconase nasal spray is appropriate, you can buy the generic form in the Uk - Beclametasone - for a fith the cost of Beconase here, not to mention in more useful 200 dose size packaging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,167 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Iboprofin and paracetamol are about 40p for 16packs in the likes of Tesco, Sainsbury's or Asda. You can are limited to buying a pack of each per transaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,042 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

actually have to get calpol and nurofen for the kids. Probably half price up there also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,167 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

One thing to watch out for is the basic tablet version are cheapest, buying the capsule version can be double or triple that price.

thanks but will be liquids not tabs

Is there is difference in the bottles?

Have gotten some he wrong ones on more than one occasion 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭thebiglad

If they have a store near where you are headed check out Savers - https://www.savers.co.uk/ can see products and prices online -if nothing else you can use to compare with the prices of a mainstream store such as Boots.

Wherever you go, it will be cheaper than down here though…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭gipi

If you're near a Poundland (there's one in Buttercrane in Newry), they sell 3 packs of 16 Ibuprofen or 16 Paracetamol tablets for £1 - you can mix and match, and you can't buy more than £1 worth (3 packets).

I found last time I was there that the supermarket packets had gone up a bit - especially ibuprofen, which was nearer 50p a packet (still a bargain compared to here).

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭intro

Gaviscon is considerable cheaper. There's also a version in a pink bottle that is not available down here. It has a larger concentration one of the active ingredients.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,826 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Savers aspirin 16 is 29p, cheapest painkillers. Also check out B&M, Poundland, Superdrug, and the big supermarkets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,667 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Would anyone know if Chemist Warehouse down here is now competitive on stuff like that? My monthly prescription, was €60+, CW charge €27.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,642 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think the CW prices are comparable with say Inish Pharmacy (online ROI chemist) when it comes to OTC stuff.

Not competitive with NI prices but cheaper than other ROI chemists.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭beachhead

Chemist Warehouse would not be cheaper.

For the likes of paracetemol,ibruprofen,hayfever treatments,Rennies,cough mixtures the supermarkets own brands in the North are a lot cheaper than the Republic.Semi-chem is always worth a look.Occasionally products are on special offer-timing has to be right when visiting - for all shops.Comparing Boots Ireland and Boots UK it's 50/50 in a lot of cases.Neurofen Plus is def cheaper in Boots UK and can be closer to the Irish prices in Northern independent pharmacies-and smaller packs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mandy2012

Have a look in Home Bargains, they do cheap hayfever tablets, wipes and sprays. Also if buying in Boots NI they have deals where you need to use a boots card so ask for one in store if you don't already have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

Chemist Warehouse Cetrine anti-histamine tablets about 1/2 the price of most other chemists. Same active ingredient as most of the branded ones.

Was in Australia (the home of Chemist Warehouse) and checked out the prices there in CW. Box of 100 paracetamol or 100 ibuprofen about AU$7 or about €5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,854 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Home bargains.

Generic hayfever tablets 59p a packet.

Paracetamol around 40p a packet.

Shower gel, deodorant etc all more than half the price you'll pay in the south.

does an irish boots card work in uk or do you need a different one?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mandy2012

No Irish boots card does not work. But when I was up there I just asked for physical card in shop and used it straight away and got any offers.

If you are doing a bit of shopping, Sainsburys is the same you can ask for physical card and use to get offers in store. They say you should register it on app but didn't work for me but I still use the physical card. Asda you can sign up with them online a get app and use online card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Amazon selling Clarityn substitute for £10.50 inc delivery for 6 months worth.

• Advertisement

Have you succeded in placing an order and checking out? I am under the impression that the local market is heavily protected by the government and that they successfully closed down all legitimate avenues for obtaining pharmaceuticals from other countries, except for physically going there and bringing them back.

Speaking of eye drops, I needed them today after doing the mowing.

They are due for delivery this week. I'll update if successful.

I ordered some tooth brush heads from the Netherlands, but when I added a pack of aspirin, the process bombed and I had to remove them - your country forbids us from selling you any pharmaceuticals - or words to that effect.

I have had the jackbooted thugs here intercept and confiscate a package containing a herbal supplement and send me a condescending letter telling me I was a naughty person.

I hope you have found a way past Ireland's pharmaceutical fire-wall. The Irish government does a great job keeping it's consumers out of the EU common market and paying through the nose for everything; this pharma nonsense, excise on alcohol, VRT for cars, locals only planning restrictions on building houses… And people wonder why our consumer prices are the highest in the EU at 47% above the average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭JVince

That is incorrect.

You can buy OTC medication from EU pharmacies for delivery to Ireland.

The problem is that prices of branded pharma is not much different.

You forget to mention that wages are substantially above average.

When you break it down, Ireland is below average for minutes needed to be worked at average after tax average wage for most items.

If the pharmacy has an EU online registration, it can sell OTC medications to you.

It's what happened, and I have tried to buy aspirin and other OTC medications from several pharmacies in the EU and every one of them said nyet, we can't sell to you. Do you think some pharmacy in the Netherlands or UK is going to have the wherewwithall to keep track of what is and isn't OTC in Stalag 17? A blanket nyet is easier.

And you forgot to mention that Irish pharmacies have the highest profit margins in the EU.

The system here is messed up, I believe deliberately. Beconase has the active ingredient Beclametasone. Beconase has paid some insane amount of money to jump through whatever hoops are necessary to get it approved and registered as OTC, but if you want to buy just generic Beclametasone, you can't buy that OTC, you have to pay €60 to go get a prescription from a doctor and then I believe a pharmacy will likely charge a 'dispensing' fee on top of the the cheaper generic price, making it the same or more expensive than branded 'Beconase', let alone adding the doctors fee. It's the same bloody thing this costly registration sytem is unnecessary. If it wasn't safe you wouldn't be able to get it even on prescription - n'est ce pas?

This scam means Irish people can not avail of the cheaper prices of generics to the same extent as consumers in other countries.

Ireland second-highest OECD health spending, poorest outcomes. The share of generic drugs in the market is low in Ireland in both in volume (29% compared with an OECD average of 48%) and in value (16% compared with an OECD average of 24%).

More recently, there has been much concern over the low rates of generic usage in Ireland. In 2009, 34% of multiple-source off-patent pharmaceuticals dispensed under the main State pharmaceutical reimbursement schemes in Ireland were generics, in comparison with 71% in the UK.

As if this weren't enough protectionism of big and little pharma in this corrupt little sodden isle, some years ago the state banned the importation and sale of a wide range of herbal medicines that were widely available world-wide, like St Johns wort: https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/herbal-remedies-risk-removal-from-shelves/26727589.html

The bans went ahead and at the end of that article you will note that the IMB predicted people would turn to the internet - I being one of them - but they had that covered as they had people monitoring and seizing incoming packages containing the banned substances - mine being one of them. The EU directive was never intended to ban these substances, but Irish authorities twisted interpretation and implimentaion used it to that effect. Such was the outcry, even from the medical fraternity, that they relented somewhat, years later, and some became available in Ireland again. But they sure made a good go of banning the lot for a number of years. Nice to see that the blow back was more than they ever anticipated.

I bought some eye drops for hay fever last summer in McGovern’s pharmacy Derrylin. Can’t remember the name of them but pretty sure they were only about £2.
    Can’t find them online anywhere. Anyone else maybe go there and get them who can advise?

seems painkillers are a "controlled" pharmacy product, hence they cannot be sold online. Controlled as in maximum one pack.

However on hayfever medication there ware no controls, so these should be available from EU pharmacies.

I don't see it as a scam, but it is messed up. The main reason for having a separate regulatory regime here was that at the time most people on the island were Caucasian Irish as no-one wanted to move here and tens of thousands wanted to emigrate. A Spanish person can react to certain medications differently to and Irish person, likewise a Nigerian person. Hence country specific packaging, licensing and even formulations for every different pharma product here.

As we have finally developed into a modern, education multi cultural society and we are now well off and people want to live here and not many (in historical terms) want to emigrate. The need to protect the Caucasian indigenous population from the very very very small risk of pan-European medical advice/packaging is probably no longer required and its possibly a quango that could be dispensed with (pun intended).

and 100% agree on herbal remedies. Melatonin & St Johns wort available on supermarket shelves in Germany (and probably most other countries). That is certainly ridiculous.

BTW - I disagree on pharmacy margins. That was the case 10-15 years ago. Certainly in not the case these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,310 ✭✭✭✭L1011

All medicines can only be bought online (or any other remote method) from pharmacies with Irish registrations, that includes OTC products

Foreign pharmacies can register here but last time I checked, none had.

• Advertisement

Advertisement