Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The accelerating fall in Sinn Féin support

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,049 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I agree about their old status as that, however much of their recent gains were anti-establishment/anti-government votes, and many of those will still at the end of the day transfer better to SF than FF/FG/GP/LAB

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Dingaan

Disagree. SF has somehow managed to pitch itself as the establishment despite never having been in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Five years of acting as if they were somehow robbed of Government and are the Government-in-waiting are not going to help with getting anti-everything votes. There's also the people who've gone SF to far right and are calling them traitors - they're not going to transfer to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Those moving from SF to far right are a tiny number. And obviously not the sharpest consider the jump in ideology!

Horseshoe theory has a little bit of validity

If you were anti-government Nationalist, a different type of anti-government Nationalist seems quite similar sometimes.

SF are absolutely losing votes to the far right; its not the case that they're shedding votes to the centre (-left/-right) and those are shedding to the far right while holding steady or even growing as is the case currently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

"I don't agree with them so they are obviously not the sharpest"

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭poppers

SF are in freefall at the moment,

Id say they will be happy to go to march for th GE and try and regroup

• Registered Users Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Was just going to come and post the same. They’ll be praying for a miracle for these elections.

Joint first with FG, and McDonald is behind Harris in terms of leadership. Crazy how far they have fallen from their height.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

SF were still according to exit poll the party people did not want in power the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Massive collapse of the Sinn Fein vote. Confirmation that the party is in freefall.

Mary Lou's 300 grand for every house statement damaged any middle class vote and their chaotic policy on refugees have damaged their working class vote.

Unless there is serious changes, Sinn Fein will not be in government after the next election.

Post edited by hotmail.com on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Dingaan

Do they ever provide a detailed breakdown of these opinion polls?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,938 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

they normally do. I can’t remember if the Sindo does but I’ve read polls where they break it down by gender and region of the country and social economic group.

I’ve not seen it for this one anyway, you mean around demographics? All I could see was that 1,770 people were polled. There is a margin or error of around 2%.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,938 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

And yes the usual caveats apply with opinion polls but even so, the latest one is bad news for Sinn Fein.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

That's a tiny number polled. Works out at about 68 people per county.

Anyway, SF are not an effective opposition. Their stance on immigration in line with the current government and their stance on the recent referendum also in line with the state doesn't set them apart, which is exactly what people are crying out for, something different.

There are other factors that come into play with polling, it only took place over a certain time period, and most polls (I believe) function on similar numbers. Either way, it’s following a worrying trend for SF, one which looks impossible to stop right now.

If a GE was called now, that would have SF really on the ropes.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Incredible stuff. Sinn Fein’s collapse was inconceivable to me six months ago. Four years ago I was predicting that as the only major party in opposition they would storm to 40%+, leaving FG or FF on the verge of extinction after the next election. (And in mid-2022, when they reached 36%, I thought with horror that I was being proved right.) But how things have changed. I hope I will always remember this as an example that anything is possible in politics.

Ivan Yates on the Anton Savage programme today predicted a November election. He thinks four TDs will be elected to Europe, requiring by-elections within six months. He was sort of rambling, so his reasoning isn’t entirely clear, but presumably he thinks the government will just decide to call a general election instead, maybe fearing the phenomenon of anti-government by elections. With SF where they are in the polls, it makes sense for the coalition parties to try to capitalise on it. Embarrassing, though, if it blows up in their faces.

We all know the story - SF is being stretched between its young, progressive facade and its nativist, working class base. It would be natural to expect that eventually the base lost patience with the party’s rebrand. But I don’t really see evidence of that happening. SF was always very careful to appease both sides. Although it sometimes gave off the image of supporting an open-arms immigration policy, I don’t know of any major policy difference from the coalition (and you can imagine what the party was continuing to tell working class communities on the ground). And, of course, they were never in government, so they can hardly be blamed for the current mess. Instead I feel that we’re seeing a cultural wave that has swamped SF. It’s not so much that they’ve done anything wrong as that right wing independents are offering something different instead. Like when Old Sinn Fein usurped the Irish Parliamentary Party after the Rising, the paradigm has shifted and ready-for-government SF is left flat-footed

Fascinating to see what happens next. Will Mary Lou survive? Will SF chase their right wing and lose their progressive voters? Can the country survive another five years of ‘centre-right’ government without imploding?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭pureza

I dont believe these blippy set of polls from Adam

Sinn Féin will do a lot lot better than them.

I guess we'll have a fair idea this day week though as to where things are at ? Next week will decide and always was going to decide the general election date

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Polls are about trends over time, one poll means little. The trend is the thing that's hard to stop. Yes, it's those parties/independents springing up on the right that are eating into their support.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,386 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Sinn fein have claimed these polls are excellent and give a great insight, now they go against SF and the polls are useless

How predictable but hilarious. 🤣

• Advertisement

This isn't one set of polls; this is three or four polls each across multiple polling agencies.

Jesus, the denial in here is pretty funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

My take on SF’s poll woes. They got too popular, too fast and are now suffering from the Irish attitude of ‘You think you’re great, do you?’
    We’ll see if it’s all spin out a few days with the election results anyway.

Post edited by hoodie6029 on

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Yeah it's not only immigration. The housing statements were mindbendingly stupid. Most voters own homes and Sinn Féin basically told them they were going to destroy the value of their only true asset they have.

Not to mention the impact such policies would have on the workers in the construction industry as well. If you're going to have houses for 300 grand the axe would have to fall somewhere. And then the knock on effects on the banks and the economy of basically halving the value of property. We were there 15 years a go and saw the consequences. People have that experience burnt in to their memories.

The worst thing a political party can do is treat people like they're thick. That's what SF have been doing and the public are wise to it as is clear in every poll now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭pureza

Don' worry,it's only a blip,soon there'll be need for a thread,the meteoric rise of Sinn Féin 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭boardise

True . Stating that the value of houses can be determined by diktat ,ignoring the multiplicity of factors and variables that apply -shows not just pure economic illiteracy but the most nauseous type of populism. McDonald also declared that the looming pensions issue could be ignored because 'the demographics would take care of it' !

How can anyone in their sane senses consider voting for such a clueless bunch of chancers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Will SF ever have more favourable circumstances to gain support than they do right now? We have a cost of living crisis, a housing crisis, a health crisis, an education crisis, an emigrant crisis etc, what more do they require to go wrong for an existing Government, for this meteoric rise you speak of?

If the collapse in support is reflected in a GE, SF will go down as the most incompetent opposition in the history of the State for their inability to capitalise on the woeful decision making of the incumbent Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,621 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The fact that SF is on the same poll numbers as FG is fascinating.

What are they going to do in trying to reverse these numbers? Turn nativist and right-wing? That is going to please their new progressive youth vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Obviously people can vote for whoever they choose and rightly so but I wonder why they vote for people that are unlikely to play any part in actually governing the country .All the funds for all over come from central funds so some of these Indos who give out about being forgotten about even abstain from voting for a government that might actually help them .Far too many are happy to waffle away and run a mile from actually participating in real decisions.

Advertisement