Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭dzer2

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

That crowd are going to make **** of the pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Marrooned

good one freaney

who the f… let Sean Kelly onto the podium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Marrooned - you suggested that the outcome of this match might put things in perspective with regards our own under 20s - and it does. Offaly are a super team and we can moan/bitch all we like about our team. A bit of luck and we could have beaten this wonderful team. I'm looking forward to meeting them in the coming years. Leinster hurling is alive and well. Congratulations Offaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

From what I seen at u20 yourselves, Offaly and Cork were the 3 strongest teams this year, Tipp were steeped to win the Munster final in all honesty.

Post edited by Billy Ocean on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

He was handing out fliers on the way into the wexford match last weekend.

Well done to offally,to be fair they have more than screeney they have some nice hurlers and dan Ravenhill would also be a big addition. This is a golden squad for offally so hopefully they can all stick together and devolop over the coming years. In hindsight kk will look back with a lot of regret. I know everyone has their own opinions on how good or bad our team was but i think if we had of got it right on the line we would of had a much better year. Someone mentioned playing lads because selectors had a influence if this scutter is still going on its absolutely disgraceful. I would question managements decision particularly the half back line. It had a lot of people talking for the wrong reason and although alot of people are blaming the half back line the fowards didnt do enough. With cork getting knocked out it was a huge opportunity to try win much needed silverware at underage. Well done to offally they have being absolutely starved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Comerman

Yeah it was embarrassing last week dodging Kelly, Fitzgerald and O'Hargain some people have no shame. Well done to Offaly 👍great all round team playing some very good hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 upnorth

Too easy an option to ‘go with that’. In 2020 Kilkenny won the Leinster Minor final beating Offaly 2-21 to 3-9. In 2023 Offaly won Leinster U20. In 2021 Kilkenny beat Offaly 3-21 to 1-16 on the way to winning the Leinster Minor Championship. In 2024 Offaly won the Leinster and All Ireland U20 finals….. Something went wrong the last two years. Mark Dowling being robbed of B Drennan in 2023 and K Doyle in 2024 was simply disgraceful and certainly didn’t help Kilkenny underage hurling.

Post edited by upnorth on

Village 87 sain earlier that Mark Dowling didn’t even know the rules on the eligibility of players, I don’t know about that like they all knew the rules last year and the same thing happened. On another issue if people are going to call out players by name have the decency to identify yourselves and also if you are constantly bitching about someone give solutions to the replacements of players or management.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Village87

I agree, no need to cali out players outside of what happens on the hurling field

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭Brian017

It was great seeing the Park full last night, shame it doesn’t happen very often as it looked like a fantastic atmosphere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭BQQ

great match

A real shot in the arm for hurling in Offaly and they deserved their win.

One thing I noticed was the free-taking routines, which look less than ideal for both teams - A lot of moving parts and lining up facing the goal rather than side-on to the target.
    It doesn’t seem to affect Screeney much though he did miss a couple, but McCarthy has an even more elaborate routine with the OCD grass toss and I don’t think it helps

I’d be interested to know if they were coached to do this or developed it naturally

I’ve always thought TJ has the ideal style and coaches should be encouraging young lads to adopt it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Village87

The only technique the Tipp free taker was missing was picking his arse like Rafa Nadal did when serving

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bamayang

They both take frees off the ‘unorthodox’ side. Hard not to have something a little awkward when hitting from that side. But the Tipp free takers routine is embarrassing. Someone will surely beat it out him eventually if he makes the senior Tipp setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Topcat32

Well done to the Celtic Challenge team, great to get as many players as possible involved in inter county competitions not withstanding that the style of play and physical development of the players is key, interesting comments from Joe Canning recently on the approach taken by the Galway management to the 4 in a row All Ireland minor winning team, the jist of which that the focus was on winning under 17/18 all Ireland's rather than developing players for the senior team

ye it was a good win today for KK Celtic challenge, people might scoff at the win but I think it’s great it sure eats losing and it continues our run underage.Congratulations to all involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 TipperaryFox

Well done to Kilkenny Celtic Challange team today. They hurled very well as a team and from what parents told me today, they work seperately to the minor panel. This was an obvious difference in the two teams on show. Our disgraceful decision to drop players who had earned a place in an All-Ireland final and field minor panelists totally backfired. Fair play to KK for backing and respecting their own chaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Hard to believe nobody shouted stop in this day and age. The whole point of this competition is continued player development and retention, so that was an unbelievable decision for Tipp to drop players on this panel and parachute in lads who were on the minor panel. Actions speak louder than words.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Comerman

Hard to believe no jokers on here complained about the state of the pitch, well done Kilkenny 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

With all the talk of five in a row, does anyone remember when Kilkenny footballers won five games in a row?

NFL Division 4: Kilkenny 2-10 Waterford 2-8

Challenge: Kilkenny 2-20 Army Selection 2-6

O'Byrne Cup 1st Round: Kilkenny 1-6 Carlow 1-5

O'Byrne Cup Quarter Final: Kilkenny 0-8 Kildare 0-5

Leinster Junior Championship 1st Round: Kilkenny 1-9 Carlow 1-8

The winning run came to an end in the O'Byrne Cup Semi Final where Laois won 1-11 to 0-6.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Wing Back

There's been plenty of "jokers" outlining the shortcomings with the field. From what I could sense nobody from Kilkenny really cared what state it was in…..It wasn't good, and looked really poor when the Ariel pictures from above during the match on Saturday night showed how bare it was in that whole span of the field. There was plenty of bad press about it beforehand I seen with one particularly bad photo doing the rounds before the game. There was actually a column of ground right through the centre affected also, as well as the 35 yards of affected areas spanning the width of the pitch. I don't blame the groundsman, as it was an impossible job for the surface to recover in only a couple of days. I just blame the County Board for their awful scheduling in advance of this match. The fact that Offaly won and completed their fairytale deflected from the issue, which was lucky for us.

It was a great game and fitting to commemorate James Nowlan with….Offaly and Tipperary both delivered in spades, as it was very exciting and the place was packed and a great atmosphere from what I could see on TV, but I feel the surface was well below standard for a Commemorative all Ireland final, we ourselves requested.

The surface should be immaculate for a showpiece….Disagree if you like….I'm sure you will.

I was in the park for the Celtic challenge and I was sitting right along the line of all the damage. How the county board did not have someone overseeing the dismantling of the stage is beyond belief it was like something was dragged along the whole width of the pitch. Besides all the blame game with management and players on the U20s. The county boards top men should all resign they were fully and totally to blame for the whole mess from start to finish and we ended up without an U20 trophy.Just on the matter of the venue Offaly were better off playing in the park than Limerick, it created a cauldron which must have been daunting for Tipp. If Tipp had brought more supporters it could have been different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

I think we are due to play Clare in the Minor semi final after they easily beat Wexford today. Probably up against it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,865 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Not to be a smart arse or anything here, I'm genuinely way out of the loop now in terms of how the county is run, and I appreciate your commitment to supporting the county teams and all that, but when others criticise the management teams you've said they need to give solutions as to who should replace them. So, who should be running the county board?

For the record I think bringing Springsteen and the final to kk was a big win for the county, and a few patches on the pitch is not great but it's a relatively small price that nobody is going to remember years from now when the memory of the occasions themselves (the gig and the final) still linger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭Brian017

So what’s the deal with the Minor SFs now that Galway and Clare are through? I’m assuming Tipp play Galway and we play Clare?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Wing Back

I think you are right to be honest.....and the history books won't mention the playing surface. I'm sure Offaly won't mind anyways .

I just don't like that it was allowed happen. I think one poster who outlined for CB to resign...that's a step to far for me. I'd just like accountability when mistakes are made and f**k ups occur.....so they won't happen again...and we get better. But the attitude that "it was grand"…or "it'll do"....well that's simply not good enough and is not up to the standards we set ourselves for hurling in kilkenny and all the preparation around it.

For what it's worth, I think funds gathered from u20 packed house, the concert and the wexford match was great....but it could have been done in a different order so everything was perfect when we display our pride and joy. I just want us to take a little more ownership and think before scheduling so things like what led to the scarring of the pitch don't happen.

Settling for "it'll do".......won't see us get back to winning All Irelands.

Advertisement