Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,629 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Dublin seemed sloppy at the start, a better side would have caused some damage. But hopefully all that will be ironed out when championship proper starts.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Big game v Mayo. Draw will do us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,512 ✭✭✭bren2001

A loss will do us, we’re through. Who cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

i do and maybe the players do.

Get a week off and play a team that will be on there 3rd game in 14/15 days in the 1/4’s is a massive advantage

You don't want to be giving them encouragement. Plus it is not lost on me that Dublin have always won Sam with no loss along the way. I can't think of another top side that can claim that, no backdoor required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭piplip87

Well done lads. Jesus yous gave us a hammering today. Could have easily scored another 4 goals. Although it was a tough watch for us Cavanman it was A joy to see the likes of Fenton, Cluxton grace Brefini in championship mode among the best players to ever take to Brefini. Good craic as ever from the travelling fans.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

any thoughts on where the Mayo game will be played, Croker?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Well if they objected to playing us in Croker which I don't have a problem with it only leaves the likes of Thurles if a big crowd is expected . I had thought somewhere like Longford might have been a runner but not sure what the capacity is there .The GAA tend to go for a bigger venue than is actually required for a lot of these games .A 25k capacity ground would he packed and create a real championship atmosphere. Some would miss out but unfortunately that happens .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

McStay and Mayo looking for O Connor Park, Tullamore. That would be a decent venue. Longford or Portlaoise other options. Too much firepower for them wherever it's played.

Plus it is not lost on me that Dublin have always won Sam with no loss along the way

Thats more a reflection of how weak Leinster is as opposed to how good Dublin are. We didn't win an AI from 2001-2010 when the backdoor was introduced and have won every Leinster since.

I dont think Mayo is a big game. If we win, we're in the QF. If we lose, we go into the play offs.

• Advertisement

I saw Ger Brennan by chance when I was out and about. I couldn't resist asking him if he was going for the Dublin job next. He started breaking his sides laughing and said "I don't know about that".

Impression I got he never even thought of that, until a random eejit like me suggested it.

Fair point on Leinster. But unless I am mistaken Dublin never lost a "Super 8" group game or whatever you want to call it after Leinster when they won any Sam. The draw v the Rossies last year was the closet thing to a "Championship loss".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

There are a lot of Leinster GAA fans who are too young to remember the last time another county won the Leinster championship. Absolute farce Dublin are still "competing" in it.

You're correct in what you've said, Dublin have not lost a game when they've gone on to win the AI. I just don't overly see how relevant it is.

Beating Mayo means we can't get Kerry until the final but we can pretty much get any of the other contenders if we win the group. Avoiding Kerry would be great and of course you want to keep momentum going. However, if Dublin lose next week, I wouldn't be concerned. Hence, I don't see it as a big game.

I expect us to win, of course. I don't think Mayo are up to much.

We already established that when you did not recall Joe Sheridan scoring his "try" in the 2010 Leinster Final. The mask slipped then. You are only a nipper. Which goes some way to explain the repetitiveness of your posts/childish obession being "anti Dub" and lack of cogent argument with it.

You are a broken record at this stage. I have already told you that the farce is not Dublin, but Kildare and Meath. But it seems the penny has not dropped for you yet. You tried the line that ALL Leinster is sh!te. But what have Kildare and Meath done outside of Leinster?

Then you were stumped when I pointed out how well Louth set up tactically against Dublin, and managed to make a show of Meath afterwards. That is what a team that is well drilled and managed properly looks like. They can punch above their weight. Meath and Kildare do the exact opposite.

Are you going to say it is a farce that Kerry are still competing in Munster? I doubt it. Because you are so blinkered, so narrowminded, and so bitter. When you wake up first thing you think "I hate DUBLIN", when you fall asleep at night you think "I hate DUBLIN".

But on the other hand you are trying to convince people that football is dead, no one cares! I would say you must be some craic when you have a few pints on ya. You make very little sense. Here you are again hoovering on the Dublin thread, looking to whine bitch and moan. Nothing good to say about anything. Except that you don't go to games anymore etc etc.

Is there there anything that makes you happier than being miserable? Is it trying to make other people miserable too?

I just think it is a nice record to have, I suppose. Shame if it went.

I think you are right about Mayo they have not have had the same bite since Tyrone knocked the stuffing out of them in that AI Final. That one hurt them because it was not Dublin/Kerry. And they would have fancied themselves. As usual with Mayo most of their issues are psychological. They are sort of in that zone where Dublin were in the 00's. Decent to a certain level but crumble when a bit of pressure is applied.

I would be more afraid of playing Galway/Derry/Donegal in a crunch match.

I'm no nipper so no point reading the rest of that drivel based off that assumption.

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

@RoyalCelt You are now Threadbanned from this thread. Any further post in here will receive a Warning.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Gael85

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

A win means you'd avoid Kerry in the QF (both topping groups) but you could still pull them in the Semi. Depending on other 2 teams that make a semi it could raise/lower the odds considerably, so a bit too early to throw any %'s on it.

The only sides you'd be avoiding to a Final are Louth (Provincial Final repeat) and Mayo/Roscommon/Cavan (Group Stage repeats) that'd all be avoided whether it's pQF, QF or SF (which avoids all previous Championship pairings, so can add in Meath there if they somehow turned things around).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

id say limerick is the best venue for everyone plus it holds 20000 more then both them venues

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Poyndexter

Heard rumours yesterday the game will be in Hyde Park Roscommon

Why hold a Dublin v Mayo in a stadium that can’t even hold 19,000 mad.

That would be a nice novelty. As other posters have said though Cavan/Tullamore are the usual options. I never even thought of Limerick to be honest. It would be great if it was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

The 19k was pre the recent re-development works.

It's back up to ~23k (could be 24k or slightly over, not been tested yet to see what Gardai/H&S sign off on), new seats look & feel great and a fantastic new surface on the pitch. Using shocking portaloos so still a bit of work to be done, but a huge step forward from them.

I'd have it well ahead of both MacHale Park and Pearse (not saying much) in Connacht at this point.

Agreed still lots of work to do but far too small. Was talking to a Mayo lad yesterday and even he said it should be in croker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭spakman

You must have found the only Mayo man who has that opinion!

Why on earth should it be in Croker?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Doubt there is any need for the match to be played in one of the biggest grounds around a 25k one should be fine .I think if the match was in Limerick a lot wouldn't bother going unless it was a proper knock out game which it isn't.

• Advertisement

The main worry for both sides will be avoiding injuries. If someone gets any injury that keeps them out over a month that is basically season over. Dublin have done very well keeping everyone fit. And have even managed to nudge Jack McCaffery back to fitness. It is a fine line getting players "tuned in" or pushing them too hard.

It will be interesting to see what sort of crowd that Dublin/Mayo match draws as it is basically a "glamour" challenge match.

Advertisement