Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭gaa goes

I wonder as an outsider from Clare looking in at what's happening in the south-east, will there be attempts from your county board to speak to the Ballygunner manager Darragh O'Sullivan about his intentions for the next 12 months. IMO he is brilliant coach and by all accounts a good man manager too.

I really hope for ye guys sake that he will be the Waterford bainisteoir for 2025. With the exception of the Cork game, Davy has done nothing to suggest he is capable to delivering improved results for the Deise men in 2025 in both league and championship. Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭JD. 60

Agreed but county board will probably take the easy option.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,559 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

He's probably getting more money and benefits from that Ballygunnar job than he would with Waterford; and a lot less stress to go with it. Would be absolute madness to change if offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭mistermiyagi

Well, Waterford's first 2 games next year are also at home.

Really need to target Clare at home round 2, and Tipp away round 4. 2 wins there should be enough.

A lot depends on how this years all ireland plays out.

If Clare come up short again will Lohan remain, and when is Shane O'Donnell taking his year out?

Whether Limerick win or otherwise, Kiely and his backroom team not certain to continue going to the same well.

Tipp limited, Cork will be very strong next few years.

Anyway, next year a long way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dilinja1

@mistermiyagi where did you see the fixture list for next year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Another outsider from Kilkenny here. Every time I hear Darragh O Sullivan speak I cannot but be impressed. He comes across as a man of real integrity and class. Be a great appointment for Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭mistermiyagi

@JohnFogartyIrl (irish examiner gaa) tweet from 14 May 2024.....

How many Munster #GAA SHC games will be shown next year?

Round 1
    Clare v Cork
    Tipperary v Limerick
    Round 2
    Cork v Tipp
    Waterford v Clare
    Round 3
    W’ford v Limerick
    (different weekends)
    Clare v Tipp
    Round 4
    Limerick v Cork
    Tipp v W’ford
    Round 5
    Limerick v Clare
    Cork v W’ford

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

would be a huge step up for him.
    He’s got the equivalent an intercounty pick at club level with massive resources and he’d be very close to all the Ballygunner lads, an uncle of the Mahonys and Patrick Fitzgerald, the enormity of the challenge for him there to step in and build an intercounty team, totally different to what he does with Ballygunner

Not denying he comes across a great lad but I wouldn’t base his credentials based on how he comes across in interviews

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭siyo

I'm not knocking Darragh O'Sullivan but club to intercounty is a huge step up. Look at shefflin and Mattie Kenny. He done incredibly well to deliver a first club all Ireland for a Waterford club but has he slightly underachieved outside of that? Gunners are walking the Waterford championship at this stage but beaten in the last two all Ireland semi finals, maybe I'm being harsh as Thomas's and ballyhale went onto win the all Ireland those two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭914

Thr arguments against Darragh O Sullivan are the same arguments that were made against Sean Power.

Have we been any better off in not appointing Sean Power or Darragh O'Sullivan?

Waterford the only county in Ireland where a manager wins 2 of the county's 7 All Ireland's and not get a crack at the job (Sean Power).

Win 10 county titles in a row and Waterford's first ever club All Ireland and not get a crack at the job (Darragh O Sullivan).

Paraic Fanning was chosen over Sean Power and only lasted 12 months.

Next up was Liam Cahill you was always going to return to Tipp.

Now Davy who will only hang around for three years max most likely.

5 years, 3 different managers, one league title. Worst case by giving Power or O'Sullivan a chance we wouldn't win a league title.

We failed to ever qualify from the round robin, we've been relegated to Division 2.

How worse could it have been? Or how worse can it be?

Granted Darragh O'Sullivan would surely get a go at it if he applied one would imagine, but he has never been approached.

Sean Power did apply and felt he had the job but Paraic Fanning was offered it instead (that was the time to give Power a chance as they were all his players mainly from minor/u21 All Ireland's)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,271 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

with Derek going for the Wexford job last year, you would imagine he might give it a one more go with Waterford and could very well get it on the back of 2017 (we will always remember that AI final chance)

Here's the thing, Derek McGrath went from Harry Cup to DLS to managing Waterford, yet people question appointing Sean Power or Darragh O'Sullivan.

I think he won 4 titles with the school, 1 county title with DLS and got the Waterford job, delivered a league title in 2015 and reached the AI final.

Yet people questioned/question giving either Sean Power or Darragh O'Sullivan a chance.

Yes either might have a go and fail but at least we'd have tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Totally agree with the above. We appointed Liam Cahill. An outsider stepping up from underage and we had this huge magical optimism based on his underage success. What did Liam Cahill do that Sean Power didn't do? It's crazy. Exactly as 914 says above too, at least we could have tried.

The covid years we're kind for us other than Limerick beginning the crusade. What is it that knockout hurling suited us better than this round robin system ?? (saying that Laois almost knocked us out if it wasn't for the water break)

Would of been intesting though if Covid never happened and the structures stayed the same. We were due to play Kilkenny in a league QF and round robin opening game was Limerick away

I’m not saying Liam Cahill didn’t do well. I thought he was great with us but what I mean is that his cv on appointment wasn’t better than Sean Powers. Yet, he was looked at differently,

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭fuinneamh

In a review of the year; you'd have to say going undefeated at home is the major success story. If you can guarantee that every year; a trip to Walsh Park becomes a lot more appealing and the buzz around the team will always be there as we'll always be in the mix come the final weekend.

The work rate and fight of the team was outstanding. All the things that require no skill were exemplary and that's about 90% of what you can ask for as a supporter.

Special mention to Tadhg De Burca; imperious in 4 games after 3 potentially career ending injuries in 3 years. It is probably one of the most impressive feats in sports I've ever seen.

Now to the improvements; This Waterford team still has the same failings that we saw under Cahill and last year under Davy. We are a great team IF (and it's a big if) we can win our puckouts. Against Cork; Kiely and Prendergast won ball for fun in the air and we won. We couldn't do jack against Limerick and got killed. Last year against Cork when we got killed we were moving as individuals on puckouts. This year against Limerick we were statues and still got killed. We don't have a simple puck out strategy that's stress tested in the league that puts us at an advantage depending on how the opposition set up. This is something I'd liked to see repped in the league next year as we won't be "showing our hand" against Munster teams.

Secondly there is still the doubt that we have the players needed to consistently win our own puck outs. I think O'Brien's striking and accuracy is limited. We also don't have enough lads like Kiely to win ball too. For example Dessie started at 11 against Limerick and again struggles to make the ball stick; his instinct is to go with the hurl rather than the hand. For all the hype around him; he's not a top tier talent untill he overcomes this limitation. SOD, Gillane, Eoin Cody, Connolly, Conor Whelan all have elite ball winning ability and you'd have them as the best inside forwards in the game. Hopefully this skill can be developed in players but we haven't seen it in the last 5 years under multiple coaches.

To surmise; a step in the right direction and great to be in the mix but can we make the next step which is even harder again.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭siyo

Knockout/backdoor hurling covered up a lack of consistency. I read somewhere that we've failed to win two games in a row in Munster in over 10 years. Plenty of years where we won one game to get to a Munster final.

Take 2021 we were woeful Vs Clare and laois, two good performances Vs tipp and Galway before running out of steam Vs Limerick.

At least this year we put 3 performances together although not perfect we left ourselves in a position going down the stretch to get a result out of the first 3 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭DeHorse88

Few big issues that I see for Waterford are a lot of the team seem to be the same age profile 27-31. A lot of those players need fresh legs coming into the team to keep the whole thing fresh and there doesent seem to be enough coming through.

Waterford have pace but seem to lack physicality/strength up front. Dessie, Shane Bennett, Jack Prendergast, Pat Curran, Barron Two Fitzs are all the light. Mikey Kiely needs to develop more as well and prob needs to be a bigger ball winner at this level. Also at the back the pace is their but Ian Kenny and Daly tryin to carry ball past big men like Hegarty and co shows the same problems…there’s prob too many smaller stature players there at the minute.

Stephen Bennett’s future can’t be certain the round robin is unforgiving and his body will only be able go on for so long. Waterford need a dependable free taker. What happened Reuben Halloran? He had a good County Final last year and is a excellent free taker? Couldnt make Davys plans. Waterfod need a serious influx of players on that team over next 3 years or else it could be very bleak once that older cohort retire

I wouldn’t be banking on Austin Gleeson to get himselsf to the levels required physically to lead the line for the next 2/3 years

Anyone else a bit disappointed that we didn't push for having the U20 Munster final in Walsh Park?

I presumed Tipp and Cork would have had a home/away agreement and then saw the fixture scheduled and played at the Gaelic Grounds!

Walsh Park would have been an ideal setting for the final. The argument could be made 12k might be a big enough capacity but having it in the Gaelic Grounds resulted in a very small attendance.

Yes it was on a Friday night and Walsh Park has no flood lights but surely a Saturday fixture would have been ideal.

Does the county board not put their hands up these fixtures? Or at least be asking Munster Council that investment has occurred in Walsh Park and we have two neighbouring counties so at least consider us.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

disappointing end to our year last Sunday. I thoroughly enjoyed the last few weeks. It was great to have a bit of a buzz back in Waterford hurling after what has happened the previous few years. It was nice been competitive and in the mix up to the last day. We had qualification in our own hands, we had three chances at getting out of Munster but couldn’t take either. Am sure Davy and the team will have plenty of regrets especially the Tipp game. Last Sunday was just a bridge too far we looked spent whereas limerick looked back to their old selves. In saying that the lads never gave in and to be within two points heading down the home stretch is a credit to the them and their spirit which was also evident in Ennis.
    it was great to see the older brigade like tadgh, Callum, Stephen and Shane etc back to their best. As for next year you would hope all the panel will stick around and come back for another year. Another plus was the contribution of the younger brigade like mark fitz (plays like he has been around for years) kevin Mahoney who seemed to get better as the year went on, Paidi and Patrick fitz (big contributions off the bench) and also paddy leavy who had a great league and was one of our best players last Sunday (has some sideline cut on him) hopefully these lads can drive on next year plus with the likes of Conor Sheehan and cathrach daly (hopefully injury free) to come in we have a few young lads coming through.
    it sounds like Aussie wants to come back if he can put the head down over the next few months and try and get in shape he might have a role to play. Although it was a disappointing enend am just trying to find a few positives for the next year or two

• Advertisement

We are going to need to step up our transition of the younger players into the first team I think. And back fill those with more youth. For example, Patrick Fitzgerald for me has shown enough to warrant a starting place and if he doesn’t get a starting place then at least he should be seriously threatening Dessie’s starting place to push him to his best and so on. The days of automatic starters is gone. Padraig Fitz had shown serious talent, confidence and that special knack of knowing when to shoot and not overplay it. He has good wrists and could be the future stable free taker. The game is evolving and I think we may even see some more smaller players coming through over the next 10 years.

Not writing off anyone but I think we’ve a history of not transitioning our young talent as quick as other counties. Yes, we need to protect them but if they’ll improve the team then bring them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

If the rumours that I heard last weekend are true then Austin will definitely be back next year.

https://x.com/WaterfordGAA/status/1796912758249721921?s=19

Brilliant win for the Senior footballers against Longford. Should be enough to get into the Prelimary QFs

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭JD. 60

Sadly after missing out on qualification due to scoring difference along with New York joining the competition

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Great to see Offaly winning last night playing an attractive brand of hurling and notably not a team of giants either.

Any team needs the players of course, but it really underlines the value of a county realising there is a problem, a passionate and hugely effective man taking over as Co board chairman, doing a root and branch review of structures within a county, making the appropriate changes and now look at them reaping the rewards. For a small place like Offaly to win an u20 in both football and hurling within a few years is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

Hard not to feel a little peeved with been out of the championship on the June bank holiday weekend while the likes of Wexford, Laois, Cork, Dublin etc all looking forward to more days out this summer.

Not to mention Offaly who are on a massive buzz and eyeing up our seat at the top table

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i think the championship needs to be moved forward to start on the may bank holiday weekend , even if a team was going bad they wouldn't be eliminated until the middle or end of june which would be normal on most years

offaly have a fine team , not sure how many will make a serious impact at senior though screeney reminds me of tony kelly no great size to him but can take hits all day and has great skill and composure , but i would question how far they can go at senior level , joe o'connor from limerick is a serious coach too very underrated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Why? They have as good a chance as anyone else making it at senior

Advertisement