Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭Christy42

I do find it interesting that none of these people spoke out about the various charges against Hilary when they couldn't even find anything gto stick there.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

18 YEARS AGO

Not 8, when he was not even in politics, that's when the alleged interaction with Trump occurred , and as for the payment, it was more to do with Melania not finding it in the media, and 10% about Election .

But the case was about the description in the books, what should he have put the payment down as, as to avoid this. He paid a lawyer, and someone in accounting put it down as a legal expensive. The Shock.

It's a nothing case, and should never have been brought, it's the lowest of the lowest crimes, it's like driving 1mph over the speed limit.

As for Biden, was he behind it.. does it matter, fact he never stopped it, it happened on his watch. He never stepped in, to tell those in New York '' STOP IT, This is not what America is about, you're killing me in the polls!, stop this now'' But it didn't , he watched on, cheered on, and here we are, Biden is tanking, and Trump gained 60 million in a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So you want Biden to activately be involved in the law? That he should have the power to intervene, or not, for political friends and foes.

Make you mind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Uhh… there's no way Biden can step in and tell them to stop. This isn't Ireland.

CFTrump misused campaign funds in 2016 to cover up this affair. If he's such a 'certifiable genius,' he could've hired Stormy as 'special massage assistant' for TrumpCo (or got an underling like Weisselberg to do so) and no one would've noticed. It's the coverup that he has been convicted of. Probably hiring an idiot like Cohen - lest we forget, he's pretty stupid - wasn't a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,610 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Biden can, categorically, not do those things.

He can pardon him now (if trump admits his guilt). Should Biden pardon him? (trump would never admit his guilt as it would remove the plausible deniability most of the maga loons live in).

I do note that those who are most "aghast" at the guilty verdict are also those trying to push polling numbers the most and portraying the verdict as a good thing while pretending really hard that they are not a trump supporter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Buddy. What happened 18 years ago is irrevelant. It's what happened regarding the hush money and the way he cooked the books so he didnt have to pay for it, 8 years ago. I gave you a timeline and everything!

What about my questions though?

Is Trump above the law?

Is Trump capable of breaking the law?

If it's that Trump can break the law, how can he be prosecuted fairly in your eyes? Will you only accept a verdict from people that say, live in Mar-A-Lago?

I don't think Biden has jurisdiction to pardon CFTrump. Not a Federal conviction. Governor Hochul might be able, but a pardon won't come through until after appeals are exhausted

I'm pretty certain a big stumbling block is that you have to admit guilt to receive a pardon. I could be wrong on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Correct but it hasn't stopped idiots from claiming that he can based on the statements from the consoiricy theorists, sorry I mean correspondents on Fox etc

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Criteria for a pardon in NY state, and it doesn't appear that he would meet it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,411 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

So you complain about Biden interfering but also want him to interfere?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,610 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You're right, completely forgot about the federal element for a pardon. It makes the posters asks of Biden even more nonsensical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

It's just free publicity for Trump, America glorifies the bad guy. Heck Mike Tyson is like a national treasure in the US and he's a convicted rapist.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

And Donald J Trump's presence at, and involvement in, the discussions around how to set up the hush money payoff to Stormy Daniels, and how the payment was to be hidden by fake accounting in his business books. It's worth recalling that his former lawyer was not the only witness to the presence and involvement of Trump in the discussion. No one from his defence team seem to have called the testimony on the involvement of Trump from the National Inquirer gent into question in the way they did with Cohen.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post but it looks like you think Trump gained from the trial result against him, even though he declined to put his own side of the story forward directly after telling the public that he would do so. He could have given direct testimony that he was not involved in, nor gave instructions to those representing him, at the meeting to make fake accounting entries in his business accountancy books but instead declined to do so.

He also had, and still has, the constitutional right not to give testimony which might tend to incriminate himself under the 5th amendment. It's entirely possible that he felt it personally impossible to use that right as he made it publicly clear in the past what he thought of people who chose to use that right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭Christy42

Interestingly it is the exact sort of crime you would go after the swamp for.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ideological and moral consistency are not the GOP and MAGA movement's strong points; 2016+ has made it quite clear that like most populist movements, the rhetoric often amounts to projection of the highest order.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

##Mod Note##

Copy/Paste posts and Multiple replies removed.

Please don't just dump entire articles from other locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Field east

Trump is CONSTANTLY on the LOOKOUT for anything to hang on a democrat. Sl, IMO Trump would definately run with what he has been convicted for IF THE BOOT WAS ON THE OTHER FOOT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Field east

A very key and purposefully stated comment by Trump at his Trump Towers conference was when he said that They have got me On false information and if they can get me being an ex POTUS they can get you. BUT if you vote me in I will make sure that that does not happen - or words to that effect.

If you look at the UTube re Finnish Intellegence Officer Martti Kari on USSR/RU you will note that one of the three legged stool that keeps the dictator there in power for over the last 1000+ years is the strategy that he will ‘look after’ all the civilians, so mind your own business and do’nt even ever think about threatening me. You just continue on milking your cows / sowing your crops and leave it with me to protect you. I WOnDER IF THAT IS WHERE TRUMP GOT THE IDEA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,905 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Hunter Biden trial about to start, in a "blue state", if there's any sort of guilty verdict going to be interesting how Trump will spin it..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Pardon authority is pretty much an absolute authority. There are no criteria you have to fulfil, these are just criteria for a particular program.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Interesting data points from a Washington Post article.

So before the conviction 58% of Reps said a Felon shouldn't be President, down to 14% thinking that this week.

It's funny how they're willing to shift their morals to suit their agenda

More CFTrump treating blacks poorly on the Apprentice, corroboration for the N-word:

https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump-apprentice-racism-nbc-election-2024-d962dfce1220920681ede63b90058f5d

"What’s the big deal about bribing Stormy Daniels? But I want a president who’s going to be able to cover up a $130,000 bribe to Daniels,” Ben said. “If he can’t pull that off, I’m not going to trust him with the nuclear football. This seems like such an easy thing for him to screw up. I’m kind of leaning toward Biden now.”

Source:

Regardless of what happens, that country is f*cked. Morals have been defenestrated, just so they can all hail the mighty dollar.

Rather depressing really.

The thoughts expressed by Trump about revenge being OK in his hour-long chat with Dr Phil hopefully should resound in the heads of undetermined voters. Dr Phil had asked Trump several times of his statements about going after his opponents with vengeance in mind when he gets re-elected and seems to have tried to enlighten Trump about what such thoughts indicated about the thinker of such thoughts. Trump acknowledged to Dr Phil that he was aware he was being asked the questions in a psychiatric-fashion.

There was another of Trump's public events where one of his supporters spoke about how the Jim Crow Laws period in the US was better for the Black Americans than the Civil Rights legislation brought in by Democrat administrations. The speaker himself, Rep Byron Donald's [R-Florida], is a Black American. In a later statement, Rep Donald's reportedly said his feelings of nostalgia for the Jim Crow Law period were misunderstood.

It would seem sensible to think that such statements should be more of a hindrance to Trump getting re-elected, in comparison to the scare stories of Biden mentally degenerating being a boon for Trump but I'm not a US voter.

Postal voting is again an item Trump has a public opinion on. Apparently, he is asking GOP voters to use the postal vote system to swamp the Democrat vote. As to how he sees that being successful without GOP Party input, I don't know but maybe he think's his supporters within the GOP could assist him in the presidential vote counting at state level.

It would appear that former president Trump's habit of sticking to the truth when speaking publicly is as good as ever. Speaking at a Las Vegas rally on Sunday over the weekend, he labelled the comments dating from 2018 that he called US soldiers who died in WW1 "suckers and losers" as "disinformation" reported by "fake news", saying “Think of it from a practical standpoint, I’m standing there with generals and military people, in a cemetery and I look at them, I say, ‘These people are suckers and losers,’” he began.

“Now, think of it,” he continued, “unless you’re a psycho or a crazy person or a very stupid person—who would say that anyway—but who would say it to military people?”

Several important points stand out in respect to his weekend denial of his 2018 words, the first being that no media source claimed he was in a French cemetery in 2018 when he made the comments about the US WW1 war dead, the second is that no one said, or tried to infer, that he was standing with generals and military people in a cemetery in 2018 when he spoke the words, the last point being that he did not, in fact, attend at the French cemetery in 2018 because he reportedly feared his hair would be disturbed by the bad weather there.

The actual report in The Atlantic Magazine in 2020 stated Trump passed the comment "Why should I go to that cemetery? it's filled with losers" to staffers. General John Kelly stood in for Trump at the ceremony at the cemetery, later telling CNN, a different media source, that Trump had made the reported comment about the US war dead.

It's good that Trump should be allowed continue to resurrect things from the past that would better his campaign if they were left rest in peace at this particular time of commemorations for the US war dead from both world wars.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Indeed , his inability to allow any perceived slight to go away quietly is a massive weakness.

He even aid it himself in the same speech that his "people" had told him to just let it go but he wouldn't.

So his advisors are trying , but he's just so easy to trigger.

Any time he might accidentally wander into talking about something current and relevant all it takes is a single tweet to deflect him back to his vengence rants which is massively unpopular outside his core base.

• Advertisement

The fact that it is open to all the people to record and fact-check all of his statements [oral and written] seems to be something he is deliberately ignorant of, including those currently on his own "Truth Social" site.

The problem for the US is that many of his supporters are also deliberately ignoring the fact-check power open to them where it comes to his statements and fake news lies. Its a while since one of his fellow presidents allegedly claimed "I cannot tell a lie". So far, Trump has not likened himself to that particular president, however….

Advertisement