Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The sexual abuser who was born with Thalidomide defects.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭political analyst

I did this OP because this case stands out. I haven't heard of any other sexual abuser having been born with physical defects as severe as those caused by Thalidomide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,833 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

A peadophile is a peadophile. Some are short, some are tall, some are fat, some are thin, some have mental conditions, some have physical conditions, some are perfectly fit.

What's confusing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Another instance of boards.ie absolutely covering itself in glory with quality of discourse on show -

Jay

Sus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

more kids were not listened to, by church or state

take the industrial scale paedophile schools where children were lifted off the street and sent there on a whim, to feed the industrial scale abuse system, which was numbers funded ,

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

what a load of boXXo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_MacMurrough_Kavanagh

the mother was a visionary for this, by not let him into potty party victim mood

His mother insisted that he be brought up and have opportunities like any other child[4] and placed him in the care of the doctor Francis Boxwell, who believed that an armless and legless child could live a productive life.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,055 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In the 1990s?

The last laundry closed in 1996, I thought the schools closed well before that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Babyreignbow

It's an unfortunate reality for many victims of sexual abuse that their abusers are often protected by other family members or carers or society in general. It's a dynamic that's pervasive in dealing with crimes of a sexual nature and why so many cases of abuse never get heard.

We have an image of the ideal abuser, usually a man with a history of criminal behavior, violence and possible addiction and mental health issues and the perfect victim, generally a viginally innocent woman unable to defend herself from a much stronger and more violent offender.

The reality is usually much closer to that in the case outlined above. There are blurred lines and victim blaming, infused with shame embarrassment and guilt. Often the predatory behaviour has been sanctioned and legitimised and in that way normalised to the extent that the victims barely recognise that what happened was actual abuse.

Disabilty often implies either silently or overtly a level of mitigation ,either out of sympathy or an erroneous sense of lack of culpability but to address the specific issue of disabilty and sexual abuse in this context, I imagine it was due to the fact that he was considered responsible and capable enough to be held accountable due to his academic and lofty social standing. Otherwise unfortunately, this would just be another case of sympathy for the devil.

Use your mighty arms to slay the fierce enemy that is selfish desire

That's an historic outlier because AMcMK lived and died long before Thalidomide was invented and there's no indication that he went against the will of the women he had sex with.

Is the last part of your concluding sentence a Rolling Stones reference?

Wasn't my intention but that tune licks

woo woo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,290 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I have to admit, when i first heard about the charges and the perpetrator, I was a bit baffled. I didn't doubt that the people accusing him had valid reason to accuse him. I just wondered with his birth defects how he managed to do it.

Then the rest of the information came out and i was even more disgusting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

'weak-mindedness', really?

They were minors and you are victim-blaming. A thoroughly despicable post of which you should be ashamed.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

the victims were aged between 17 and 24 years old.

Four of the six boys were students or former students of his at the time at CBC Monkstown in south Dublin.

Look up 'grooming'

Also one cannot consent to sexual acts while one is asleep

Scrap the cap!

That's a very odd victim-blaming mentality. You should be asking why any adult would ask such a perverse thing.

Scrap the cap!

Why would parents have let their sons stay at his house overnight? Why would parents let their children stay overnight in the home of a teacher who is not related to them?

I know that he said in that Radio 1 documentary that pupils had no problem with helping him go to the toilet but why did parents not say, regardless of his disability, "That's inappropriate. There should be a professional care worker assigned to help him with the toilet"?

ah sure he's just a poor man with birth defects, God love him. That kind of thing I imagine.

Very different attitudes in those days and a lot of naivete among parents.

There was a court case recently in relation to historic abuse where a young boy was sent to stay overnight with the local priest as he was "unwell" and the parents thought nothing of this. That would seem totally bizarre now, but apparently not 40 years ago.

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement