Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving one Department to Join Another Department Open Competition

• 29-05-2024 8:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭

Few questions please

What happens when you leave say Social Welfare to join say Revenue on an open competition?

Do holidays, sick leave record, SWY transfer across or start from scratch?

Do I Resign or just transfer over? How much notice do I give. Work there 12 years. Is my service broken?

My HR don’t have many answers and people point are well peoplepoint. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭TokTik

Don’t think sick leave carry’s across, holidays owed should be taken before you leave. AFAIK you’d get a verification of service from your old job and that would carry across your place on the pay scale. You’d have to reapply for Shorter Working Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Lauras5839

It's all Civil Service so everything moves with you, it's all on the same system. Sick leave record, annual leave etc. will move with you. If you're moving on promotion just double check about SWY, some departments don't let you avail of it in a probationary year, talk to your new HR to see what their policy on it is.

Don't resign, just give your managers a heads up that it's happening out of courtesy. Once you've accepted the job Revenue HR will talk directly to SW HR to arrange a release date for you. And it's not a break in service if you're moving straight from one to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭_H80_GHT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,940 ✭✭✭billyhead

Leave balances would have to be readjusted if it's a different grade and different leave entitlement. Also Revenues leave year may not start on April 1st. If your moving to a grade lower then your current one I think you have to resign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 Bug23

so I’ve just moved from one department to another in the last few weeks, technically on promotion, and it’s exactly as Lauras said. Everything transfers automatically - leave balances, pay, etc. no need to resign, but depending on grade they may require a specific notice period before they can facilitate the transfer

when leaving, I told my manager, then I agreed a date with the new department and then also told my own HR what that date was. The two HR departments then sorted it all out between them. Any specific arrangements that you have that required permission, rather than being a term/condition of your contract will likely need to be approved again by the new department and you should bear in mind that there are no guarantees. My advice would be to discuss the attitude to things like SWY, WFH, and flexible working (not all CS roles are allowed to avail of flexi) with your new HR before you sign the contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭MaryKaye79

Thank you so much to everyone that replied especially @Lauras5839 and @Bug23 I really appreciate your answers 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭nhg

As someone mentioned above, Revenues annual leave year is 1st February to 31st January.

Really don’t know why they didn’t change it earlier this year when removing the ‘3 year leave cycle’ to have the same holiday calendar for all civil servants. A missed opportunity……

• Registered Users Posts: 22 sohara00

Because its not that simple thats genuinely the simple answer. Would have had to give everyine an extra day or two leave that they would have been mandated to take or lose by the end of april, thats a lot of staff trying to take leave in the same 2 month period.

Also not all of revenue is February anyway

Advertisement